User asking about patch and virus protection.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

User asking about patch and virus protection.

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

A user asked to me find out why this is popping up when he downloads the patch.(sorry if this is the wrong forum)
Any ideas??

Thanks =D

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: User asking about patch and virus protection.

Post by General BlackDragon »

Avast is retarded, delete avast.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
XxHAMADEHxX
Sabre

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

oki XD
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Not the most useful response really :) Actually avast found a whole bunch of stuff on my system that the other free virus scanners missed.
Its just alerting you to the fact that you are downloading an executable program, it is not intelligent so it has no way of judging what sort of program it is.

Have got to wonder wether any of this security stuff is worthwhile anymore, what with the largest "criminal" organization on the planet making manufacturers build in back doors to their operating systems and encryption for them.
Without truth there is no freedom or democracy.
Last edited by MrTwosheds on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Honestly, the most annoying virus I've encountered the last decade is called Windows Live ID. 8-)
^That makes me miss the time of the I love you-virus. :lol:
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

Avast is actually quite good, the best free antivirus available ATM. This detection is a false positive, and should be reported to Avast. I reported this to them before and obviously nothing was ever done.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
16GB DDR31600 Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
Crucial 256GB SSD | 500GB WD HDD
EVGA REF GTX-970 4GB ACX 2.1 GPU
27" LG D2743 Cinema 3D IPS LED @1920x1080 60Hz
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Cable Internet - 35Mb/6Mb
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Juggernaut wrote:Avast is actually quite good, the best free antivirus available ATM. This detection is a false positive, and should be reported to Avast. I reported this to them before and obviously nothing was ever done.
It is a user made executable. If they would include it in their updates they'll end up including every random Joe's executables. I doubt that will ever happen, I wouldnt when in their shoes.
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

It is a user made executable. If they would include it in their updates they'll end up including every random Joe's executables. I doubt that will ever happen, I wouldnt when in their shoes.
You kidding me?? I've compiled a few 'user made executable's in my day, none of which get detected as viruses, RS. I believe this detection has to do with a password protected ZIP contained within.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

There you explain the difference yourself. One is and one is not detected. One does and one does not require an exception.
Player
Drunken Constructor

Post by Player »

Before I say anything, I am a malware nerd, I make my money and pay my taxes by removing malware off of peoples computers. Its not called virus, virus is a type of malware. About avast, it's a decent but falls extremely short compared to products like Comodo Internet Security (Cis for short), Bitdefender, and F-sercure, AVG, ect. (In the order of best to good.) Just like General Black Dragon said, "Avast is retardent, Delete it." If you agree with him, for the love of god don't replace it with McAfee,Iobit malware fighter, or forticlient. Replace it with Comodo Internet Security Free, If you don't like it then go with avg. Bitdefender is really good, but the free version doesnt have a user interface, just an annoying widget in the bottom right with the other programs. It is highly glitchy and annoying. F-Secure is great, but i dont know if it has a free version. And Avg Free Doesnt have a firewall.

The only problem I have with cis free is that it tryes to install a plugin called privdog, if it gives you the choice the to install it say no.

The only other problem you might have is that when ever you turn your computer on when its completley off is that it gives you a little advertisement. Its small and it can be easily x'ed out of. It doesnt give you crap before you can x out.

Here is the link for CIS Free if you decide to get it. https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... curity.php

What comodo means by upgrading means is buy the full version. As great as comodo is, it doesn't like battlezone using the internet, so i recommend using AVG. Comodo>Avg. Avg is just so you have no problems with battlezone 2. Yes this is my hobby. Deal with it.

Avg Link: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download

The version of AVG you will get is "AVG Protection" And make sure you get the free version.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, and firefox with NoScript and AdBlock, and be smart about what your clicking on.

NoScript for Firefox / ScriptSafe for Google Chrome is great, and as long as you browse smart, you won't get viruses. I haven't had any kind of virus or malware on my computer since I started using it.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

ditto; all recommended to me by GSH/Nathan.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

Microsoft Security Essentials is garbage. Do yourself a favor and use one of the many free alternatives. I see many machines where MSE didn't stop a thing (or detected but failed at preventing it from spreading), to have a number of free alternatives pick it up and stop without issues, Ad Block Plus is an excellent browser addon and highly recommended (agreed). I personally like how it blocks all ads from youtube and facebook and most other sites (blocks about %95).

I used to be a big AVG free fan, but have found that it has become bloatware over the years, where older versions do not properly uninstall, leaving behind many traces of the old, causing issues (cant count how many times I had to manually remove from registry). Bitdefender I'd say is the best paid for version, install and use for many of my clients, using the cloud console (Eset is also very good, some client have been using for years and stops all). Avast is still the best free in my opinion (as it has a built in firewall, web browsing protection and fairly decent detection rates). Comodo has an excellent firewall, but poor virus detection from my past experience although vane't used the latest version in some time. Avira is good for slow machines (doesn't use many resources), fairly decent virus detection with web browsing protection.

Ofcourse, sandboxie is excellent as well, if you want to do some questionable web surfing or opening of files from within the sandbox.

Other useful free anti malware tools:
HijackThis!
Malwarebytes
Super Antispyware
EmsiSoft Free Emergency Kit
ComboFix
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I hate AVG myself, I find it to be obtrusive and it seems to let a lot of bad things in.

Avast Free is hardly better on the obtrusiveness factor (its extremely chatty), but it does seem more effective; even if you need workarounds to get BZ2 to work.

MSSE is the least obtrusive of the lot but I don't have much faith in it's protective abilities.

I'll have to check out CIS sometime.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Killer AK
Rattler

Post by Killer AK »

I use AVG and uninstall it at regular intervals.