Tournament Rules Help (Single Posting, Both Games)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Tournament Rules Help (Single Posting, Both Games)

Post by Psyringe »

[The Battlezone 2v2 Tournament Home]
http://www.incisionmedia.com/projectbat ... ment_home/
Last edited by Psyringe on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
blue banana
Sabre

Re: Tournament Rules Help (Single Posting, Both Games)

Post by blue banana »

I'll not contest a 2v2 tourney if this is a tourney with no more than 6 timezones. Getting 4 competing players online at the same time in either BZ is difficult due to the low amount of players, and the fact we might not be awake at the same time.

In other words, it'll be better if it's a 1v1 tournament.

As far as rules go, it'd be nice to follow basics established in both communities. I'll give examples later if needed.

Finally, here's a big statement: This really, really won't happen unless you reach out. This forum is not made up of players- that is reserved for bz1.org and bz2maps.us. I understand the obstacles of doing this, but there are too few of "us players" here that the tourney will either never start rolling, or it won't be near the publicity/impact you are expecting. I am one, however, to believe in miracles, but given the other two forums are nearing their own time for tournies, a miracle may be short-lived.
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

I appreciate the input BlueBanana - but this is to act as a sudo-draft for the event itself, *not* the event itself. But the observation it could be 1v1 is a good one, and would increase the matches. I chose to go the 2v2 route because players will hopefully net other players.
I am one, however, to believe in miracles, but given the other two forums are nearing their own time for tournies, a miracle may be short-lived.
Well, it's not really a Tournament if there is no trophy or prize. No prize and it's... a competition? I intend to start promotion today.
As far as rules go, it'd be nice to follow basics established in both communities. I'll give examples later if needed.
I think it would be awesome if you did. :D

Here's the exact definition of "Tournament":
tour·na·ment
ˈtərnəmənt,ˈto͝ornəmənt/
noun
noun: tournament; plural noun: tournaments

1. (in a sport or game) a series of contests between a number of competitors, who compete for an overall prize.
synonyms: competition, contest, championship, meeting, tourney, meet, event, match, round robin
"a golf tournament"
2. (in the Middle Ages) a sporting event in which two knights (or two groups of knights) jousted on horseback with blunted weapons, each trying to knock the other off, the winner receiving a prize.
synonyms: joust, tilt;
the lists
"a knight preparing for a tournament"
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

The most of a "trophy" people ever won in previous tourneys were something like this:
:) The more common and larger reward was just that of pride and bragging rights.

2v2 Tourneys are, like I inferred in my previous post, harder to organize and get running. Both games have had these in the past, and they usually either never finished or resulted in lots of DQs/dropouts. They are funner, which is probably the reason why you initially made this that way, but I feel that isn't a valid tradeoff for organization issues.
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

As far as rules are concerned... Most of these are common sense, but some are house rules that many players consider to be cheap.

BZ1 rules are pretty obvious, the only things that might not be are the pregame settings. This includes Any Nation and Splinter set to off, and player lives at 3.

BZ2 is commonly played on VSR (Vet Strat Recycler Variant), which the vast majority of players are used to and prefer over stock. There are also some more established house rules:
  • Don't take/destroy Empty Scouts your enemy just barely built
    Don't go inside a building and destroy it from there
    Don't spawnkill enemy pods
    Destroy Recycler/Factory last
Recycler rushing is of course, a no-no as well in both games.
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

Thanks for the input Blue Banana, I'll see what I can do about making this more manageable with your input.

I'm still open to further rules! :D
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

2v2 Tourneys are, like I inferred in my previous post, harder to organize and get running.
Being a single day event makes this somewhat irrelevant, your either play on the day or you just weren't there.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Of course you are not bound to following the "house rules" blue banana posted above. Do bear in mind that they are there for a reason, though - the Black Dogs and CRA aren't properly balanced, Splinter is OP base-spam, and the BZ2 rules are typically in the spirit of fair play.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

When I said "community outreach" I literally meant to tell others about the tourney, not look like some random person who finds ban lists interesting... Lol.
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

Silly Blue Banana. I think it's best we leave the long term marketing decisions to me.

*pats Blue Banana on the head, gives him a sandwich*
Spawn
Scrap

Post by Spawn »

blue banana wrote:BZ2 is commonly played on VSR (Vet Strat Recycler Variant), which the vast majority of players are used to and prefer over stock. There are also some more established house rules:
  • Don't take/destroy Empty Scouts your enemy just barely built
    Don't go inside a building and destroy it from there
    Don't spawnkill enemy pods
    Destroy Recycler/Factory last
Recycler rushing is of course, a no-no as well in both games.
I haven't played for a while, but the only rule there that was followed was don't destroy buildings from inside.
All the others have exceptions, or are just invalid.

Don't take empties, why can't I steal an empty scout? If they build a scout while I am hiding in the recycler and I take it I'm cheating? I thought I was taking advantage of bad communication and an unaware commander. If I have an empty with low health/ammo and the other commander builds another one, why can't I switch? Once again, just taking advantage of incompetence.
Spawn-killing them as they appear, after the first fight for example, would however not be seen as fair play, although there is a simple counter to this, build scavs till they run out of ammo.

Why can't I kill the pods? Can I still take them while attacking the base? Can I just go as a pilot, sit on the pods and shoot my pulse till I eat all of them? I don't get it.

As for the recycler and rushing in general, it is frowned upon but is a valid tactic, especially if the other team has built no defenses. I believe TV stated once (could be someone else) he approved of mini rushing once the armory was built without a single turret, as the enemy commander made a risky move to gain a quick advantage and should be punished if the enemy finds out.
Later in the game, if you destroy the tech center but not the factory they can still build blast tanks. If I can't kill the factory there is no way to prevent tanks form being built, and once again the ability to quickly cripple someone who does not have a well defended base is not available.
Simply attacking base after killing the enemy team isn't that effective unless I can prevent them from building upgraded ships for some time/cost, hopefully doubling or tripling the cost of that blast tank or chain empty.

I can't even mauler rush. Do you even know what a mauler is?

But, as I said at the beginning, I haven't played for a while, so these ideas may not be current.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I'm lost, back when I played rec rushing was standard. If both teams were competent it was fought off without major damage to either side.
There are a few things that I always thought were bullshit like humping turrets so they couldn't shoot you and other turrets wouldn't shoot you because of the collision intersection but I am pretty sure 1.3 resolved that.

Generally vehicles don't go in buildings. If you're a pilot in a building, you can shoot, but don't drive your scout in a door smaller than it and then shoot from inside.
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

I agree with both of you.

Things like building empty scouts - that's your choice in allowing resources to get stolen.
If your base is under attack and your supplies are about to be stolen, destroy them before you enemy picks them up. Pods are weak.
Base rushing & shooting buildings from the inside are acceptable. We won't have all week for the tournament, and between the 2 of you you should solve the issue.
This is a 2V2 tournament. We won't have all week, and between the 2 teammates they should solve the petty issues and create bigger ones for their opponents.
Do you even know what a mauler is?
:) Of course. I plan to release a GameGuide for newcomers regarding the tournament;
Hardpoints: 2 Cannon (A)
Built by: Forge
Requirements:
- Dower
- Antenna Mound
- Stronghold
[GameObjectClass]
baseName = "fvwalk"
classLabel = "fv_walker"
geometryName = "fvwalk_skel.xsi"
glowTexture = "fvwalka0.pic"
cockpitName = "fvwalk_cockpit.xsi"

Plus other various animations, etc. Thanks for the input, gentlemen.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

"Shooting buildings from the inside" is generally a reference to doing drive in's on the scion kiln/forge, so that base defenders cannot hit you.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

Ah, got it. I always thought the reference was a Pilot.

Yea, Exploiting Game Bugs is a no-no. It's hacking at the developers expense. heh