Battlezone OFFICIAL News

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Killer AK
Rattler

Battlezone OFFICIAL News

Post by Killer AK »

Rebellion: What a week for Battlezone - first the news that it will be featured in the Pixels movie, and now a primetime spot at facebooks VR keynote at F8

This was the official statement by Rebellion today on Facebook.
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: Battlezone OFFICIAL News

Post by Red Devil »

what does this mean: "a primetime spot at facebooks VR keynote at F8"
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

"Talks about virtual reality while delivering the keynote address during the Facebook F8."

This belongs in the "Off Topic Board", like the "Pixels" BZ License. As seen in "Wreck It Raplh", a theme of the retro Battlezone Arcade machine is "Virtual Reality", not Battlezone 1 or 2, and the fact virtual reality is being discussed about Battlezone further supports a claim I made in [Why No Battlezone 3?], located in the "Untitled" thread in the Off topic board.

Find more details about the Facebook F8 Developer Conference here: https://f8.facebooklive.com/

I imagine Rebellion is seeking funding for such a fantastic idea - this is a developers conference. I wouldn't get your hopes up, though, it's just a fantastic happenstance the original BZ emulated VR. I wouldn't consider this official news, either, not unless you are a facebook developer. For all we know, a "primetime spot" could be dropping the arcade machine near the front door to collect quarters - honestly too lazy to research the claim. :P
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

Alright, so I was bored with my current project and decided to look into this deeper now that the first tier of journalists are done flooding the net.

This is nothing more than an elaborate sell on the Oculus Rift. Facebook is very interested in Virtual Reality, Connectivity, and Artificial Intelligence. Lets look at a couple of sources;

"Schroepfer demonstrated how far virtual reality has come, comparing Battlezone for the Atari 2600 from 1980 with a demo of EVE Valkyrie, an intense spaceship simulator coming to the Oculus Rift." - SOURCE ARTICLE: http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook ... two-2015-3

"He says that Battle Zone, one of my favorite arcade games circa 1980, was an early VR game." - SOURCE FEED: http://live.fastcompany.com/Event/Faceb ... age?Page=3

So I'll reiterate - not Battlezone 1 or 2 or 3, it's a rehash to sell a new game. The first source is an article post-fact, the second is from a live feed by a journalist on the field. The speaker is Facebook's CTO, Mike Schroepfer.

It's fascinating, but irrelevant.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Yep. I'm afraid nothing you hear from Rebellion will concern the late-90s Battlezone games.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Killer AK
Rattler

Post by Killer AK »

i suppose it is by perspective lol i thought though they might be pushing bz1 but i didn't look that deep what is news about it though is at least the title is moving a bit.
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

lol No problem.

Not that my opinion matters...

(*Looks Around... leans into to Killer AK's Ear*)

But Battlezone is being whored out.

And that's a good thing...

*Ahem*. Nothing to read here...