Windows 10 Compatibility

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Windows 10 Compatibility

Post by MrTwosheds »

Any one who experienced the end of support for XP, should realize that "the lifetime of the device" Is decided by MS simply on the grounds of compatibility with their current release. Clearly a lot of economic activity can be generated by continuous development and the rapid obsolescence of both software and hardware. I suppose we should be grateful that they have not yet deliberately reduced the reliability of the hardware.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I don't see how XP being (deservedly) retired relates to determining a device lifespan.

(Also, how in the hell are people *still* sore about that? XP had a lifetime of twelve-and-a-half years, longer than any other OS.)
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Because the update process involved analyzed your (xp) system to determine wether or not it could run their latest release, If it could not, they told you to buy a new computer... rather than offer you the still supported windows 7 for example.
Mine was about 2 years old, in perfect working order and still faster than some on sale in the shops at the time, not sure what they have a problem about with it and frankly don't care. In my experience (DOS, xerox 1080, win3.1, 95 ,98, xp etc) "upgrades" or even just installing their next operating system on older hardware is usually a mistake that ends up with the computer in question running much worse than it did before.
Unless you have some specific good reason to "upgrade" my advice would simply be. Don't. Buy a new pc with an operating system designed for its capabilities and level of performance or just carry on using what you have.
The only problem I have had with the XP box since support stopped was caused by MS pulling the plug on its Security Essentials causing it not to boot.
Last edited by MrTwosheds on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I'm really not seeing your reasoning here, and it'd probably help if you worded what you are trying to say more clearly. Which windows update process? You don't seem to be talking about Windows Update, so I can only assume you're talking about the W8 upgrade installer - in which case it makes perfect sense to check for compatibility with the software it is installing. If you fail, you fail - you don't see other software packages making recommendations based on that fact, do you?

And here's the funny part - if a PC can't run Windows 8, it can't run Windows 7 either. The system requirements are exactly the same. If you fail the requirements for Windows 8, it's probably time to get a new PC - or suck it up and run a twelve-year-old operating system, 'cause you definitely won't meet the requirements for Vista.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The one called Automatic Updates, that I really should have turned off before support ended because they used it to activate annoying msgs and analyze my system (apparently).
That pc is of the win 7 generation, but it has never had win 7 on it. I have no idea why MS think it can't run win 8.1, But I agree with them that it should not. I do not agree that it needed replacing.
Actually I very much doubt that they analyzed any of the remaining xp systems connected via automatic updates, It was just sales generating bullshit.

My point though AH is that they offer support for the "lifetime" of that hardware, but it is they who will decide how long that is.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

this page was down before, but is now up:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
Outrageous! :)
Throws Activisions copyright away, releases GSH's BattleZone2...free download.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

First I've heard of it, all it's ever done for me is provide automatic updates. It's only sensible to inform people that support is ending and suggest an upgrade, though - they've already gone above and beyond in supporting XP for twelve years and while it's not like it will cease to function now it is less secure, so it makes sense to inform users that there are better options. I really don't see how you can construe this as bad practice.

"Your system is running an out-of-date operating system, so it'd be wise to upgrade - unfortunately your system isn't powerful enough to run any of our more modern OSes, so you'd be better off buying a new PC"

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If your XP machine can't upgrade to Windows 8, there's not a chance for it to upgrade to 7 or Vista.

Now, about that "lifetime" thing. With no official clarification on what the "supported lifetime of the device" means, all you've been doing is speculating - and given that you've been presenting your speculation as though it's cold hard fact, that's really not a good idea.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

You do love to misconstrue my posts, I have not mentioned "bad practice" in any way. I simply note the quite normal practice of reselling goods (OS in this case) to maintain turn over. I advise people, who may not have discovered it for themselves yet, that an "Upgrade" may very well be actually perceived by them as a downgrade in the performance of their system. This has been the case for me nearly every time I have done so. (95-98 being the exception)
I also have a windows 8.1 pc, I wont be upgrading that either unless I can find a good reason for doing so, MS do not seem to have supplied a good reason that is applicable to my use of the computer, so why bother when there is a significant possibility of negative benefits.
What I get out of not upgrading is to keep an operating system loaded with 3rd party programs all still functioning perfectly well.
Last edited by MrTwosheds on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Perhaps you simply aren't writing your posts very well. You have made it very clear that you didn't like the way MS were handling things - if you're not trying to say that's poor practice, when why are you complaining about it?

If upgrading has caused a performance drop, then maybe you really do need a new PC. The way you tell it makes it sound like you're still using a mid-90s Gateway.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

after i 'reserved' a copy of w10 on my laptop yesterday, i looked for the icon and did not see it, so i read their fag, which said to run windows update, so i did, which installed about 8 updates, then i rebooted.

Still no w10 icon in tray, so i ran update again, which pulled in 9 more updates, then i rebooted and got...BSOD!

rebooted in safe mode w/networking: BSOD.

rebooted in straight safe mode, which said it was fixing things.

BSOD!

rebooted in safe mode, no BSOD, ran chkdsk, had to reboot to safe mode; BSOD!

rebooted to safe mode, no BSOD!

rebooted normally: BSOD!

rebooted to safe mode okay, ran system restore, works fine now.

"Don't update your computer to try to get W10 but just get the BSOD and curse at it repeatedly - stay with your current OS."
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I still have a functioning mid 80's Pentium too! suck up the sell if you want, nobody gives anything away for free if they don't benefit from it somehow. Accelerating the obsolescence of hardware and software is clearly in the interests of the whole industry...at least until the depletion of rare earth resources really hits home.

Red...Thou failed to offer suitable appeasements to the minor gods Mr Murphy and Lord Sod before engaging in this task, you must now spend many hours in frustration as a penance. :lol:
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:after i 'reserved' a copy of w10 on my laptop yesterday, i looked for the icon and did not see it...
If you have already reserved a copy, there's no reason for the icon to appear until July 29. Updates and BSOD likely unrelated.
MrTwosheds wrote:Accelerating the obsolescence of hardware and software
Obsolescence is accelerated by innovation and development. Your PCs have been obsolete for decades and so have their operating systems. That's how technology works, it's not MS' doing.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

w10 icon shows in tray before and after reservation...
Abraham Lincoln

Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

AHadley wrote:
Red Devil wrote:after i 'reserved' a copy of w10 on my laptop yesterday, i looked for the icon and did not see it...
If you have already reserved a copy, there's no reason for the icon to appear until July 29.
But it does ..