Some1 gave me a pentium 4 Should I make a BZPC?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

TwinShadow
Sabre

Re: Some1 gave me a pentium 4 Should I make a BZPC?

Post by TwinShadow »

I'm avoiding Windows 10 like the plague currently. I have two very big gripes about it:

1. Its a massive privacy risk. Yes, you can turn off some of it while installing the OS, but you have to do it twice before those changes stick. Microsoft REALLY wants to data-mine you for all that juicy data that some people already put on *ick* facebook anyway. After the install, I found more things that need to be turned off anyway, so one way or another, those who don't know anything about computers will never know that they are still being mined for data.

2. Forced Windows Updates irregardless now. I am a power user. I am not a commoner. I want control over the update process of the OS so I can choose what gets installed, and what doesn't. I do not want Silverlight, I do not want video updates through Windows Update, nor anything that could disrupt the manufacturer's drivers they publish. There is no way to turn it off without a registry edit, and even then it isn't my ideal solution. All that does is turn them off entirely until you manually check each time. You still can't pick and choose which updates go through.

There's already been early reports before the release that an nVidia driver through Windows Update had actually caused PC's to crash on Windows 10. I'm sure the update was pulled quickly, but I'm not going to be Microsoft's *beep* and test dummy for updates if there is an increased risk of it crashing my computer. For the time being, I'll be using Windows 7 since I hate the forced tablet UI of Windows 8. (yes, I'm aware of programs like ClassicShell and StartIsBack, I use ClassicShell on W7)
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Ah!, I just understood their Dalekesque approach to having more than one install on a single pc, it's not the making of 2 copies, it's that the potential for duplication of data might booger up their mining operation's validity. I suppose the potential value of accurate data is probably far greater than the OS market alone. Interesting to see how this plays out.

Have Gamers become the cannon fodder of economic warfare? :lol:
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

So I figured out what I would do if I very conveniently had access to the only bottleneck in nearly everyone's online shopping data stream...
Build a live model of the global economy, and feed it's output to a high frequency trading...monster. Job done. World taken over. Sit back and laugh at the homeless Bankers and Wall street traders. Throw a few shekels to the Punch and Judy politicians so they carry on performing their ridiculous shows...
Ah...of course it never actually quite works like that does it? A sack of Gold is of no use in a storm at sea.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Boot with disable driver signature enforcement has earned win 10 a reprieve from death row. I can now at least install my loved old and obsolete collection of retro programs. :) Now to see if they still work. I can only guess at how many millions of customers MS have lost by hiding that option in shift power, restart, troubleshoot, advanced options, startup settings, restart.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Original post content deleted due to it being somewhat wrong. Clearly I have underestimated how important it is to windows devs to remove simple choice's such as what colour your screen should be from users. Less is more, MS obviously agree.
RotatorX
Sober Scav

Post by RotatorX »

TwinShadow wrote:irregardless now.
I'm gonna be that gal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... 52969.html
Battlezone Classic Tester
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

:lol: Thank you! That stuff drives me nuts.

Anyways, back on topic while i go lay down.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA