Feedback for FE for 1.3pb6

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Feedback for FE for 1.3pb6

Post by Fulmen »

I finally downloaded it although I was told by several people that the mod for pb6 is completely broken. However I found it to be working...somewhat.

Here are my initial observations:

First thing I noticed was that RD had changed the click and chat enter sound to a sound from BZ1. Slightly annoying but I'm okay with it. Then I noticed that all the betty sounds are from BZNES and the HUD is slightly different (ammo & health bar). The graphics don't work the same way they do in FE (damage effects mostly), and there's a lot of maps that weren't in the default Rev.C/Rev.D Final install. While including maps from various map packs is usually good, one should test them properly first and think twice are they really necessary if they're total **** (some of them are). Some of the maps are screwed up and look radically different from their original form (wtf RD?), like Battle Isle. The way the maps are organized in the list is also less logical than in the original FE.

Don't think portals work either, and SP seems to be mostly broken. Btw why does the Nadir (AI drones in the 1st mission) use a different weapon now? Cerberi ships also have pilots now, which doesn't make sense. I also wonder if the AI improvements and fixes for maps in Rev.D-Final were taken into account at all.

Oh, I nearly forgot... MDM is missing for EDF.

EDIT: Minor thing: You can't join non-FE games like you could in 1.2 (though ofc you couldn't enter the game world itself). It was very useful for telling people to join your FE game. Now you have to start up another BZ2 process to do the same thing you could do with ease back in 1.2.

EDIT2: Cerberi ships are snipeable, at least in MPI. Wasn't this way in the original.
Last edited by Fulmen on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ded10c
Recycler

Re: Feedback for FE for 1.3pb6

Post by Ded10c »

The sounds that have crept in from RD's own BZ, I believe, likewise the radar. Copying gameprefs in and deleting files should fix it for now, if you've not downloaded the latest build.

Tons of maps have been added to IA and MP that should probably be removed as they seem quite broken.

Portals are apparently now only accessible to certain AI units. Not tested this myself. SP barely been modified from its PB3 form aside from graphical tweaks.

The Nadir (which is the correct name of the drone) uses the heavy chain as previously, but they don't seem to use their saturn batteries like they used to.

Cerberi ships with pilots seems silly, but it does wonders for the game mechanics. They wouldn't eject or hop out in FE on 1.2, but they were still there. In fact, when playing as the Cerberi on 1.2, the pilot would appear as a copy of the EDF or Hadean pilot, depending on revision.

Not joining non-FE games is a 1.3 thing.

Cerberi craft should definitely not be snipable.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Ok, corrected the name.

I would have preferred this "conversion" of FE to actually be a conversion of Rev.D, without modified/added stuff (those things can be added separately - just like originally in 1.2).

Why can't the pilots be made non-ejecting in 1.3 as well? They don't do it in Cloaket's Race Project either. Actually in his mod the Cerberi ships just "de-activate" whenever they die/are told to pick the player up. This is accompanied with a purple flash and sound to it. Pretty cool I think. If there's no way to make the Cerberi like they were in 1.2, then I'd suggest this approach.

EDIT: Just d/led Update 5. RD, learn to spell "Forgotten".. ;)
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

If you were expecting a shiny new finished product right out of the gate - as most people do in this microwave world - dream on.

It *specifically says at the very top* that this needs testing.

There are *270* distinct maps in FE. I am *not* about to test each of them individually. That is what *you* are for.

Sure, some things will be broken, but that is what you are for: to report bugs.

I do not care that it is not 100% exactly like it was 10 years ago. Rev. D was different from Rev. C which was different from Rev. B. which was...

Gosh, i hate whiners... they do none of the work, yet they expect everything to be absolutely perfect the moment they open the package.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Not played RacePRJ myself, I downloaded it briefly to check a crash somebody was reporting, but I'll take a look and see what the effect you are talking about is. Sounds good.

It seems there's a poor history with spelling Forgotten Enemies around here. The t-shirt says "Forgotton" on it.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Red Devil wrote:There are *270* distinct maps in FE. I am *not* about to test each of them individually. That is what *you* are for.

Sure, some things will be broken, but that is what you are for: to report bugs.
There are a ton of maps in your version that weren't in stock FE (any revision) for 1.2.

Well, that's exactly what I'm doing, am I not? And important feedback is more than just bug reporting, it's also criticism.
AHadley wrote:Not played RacePRJ myself, I downloaded it briefly to check a crash somebody was reporting, but I'll take a look and see what the effect you are talking about is. Sounds good.
You should. PM me if you want a game.

Anyway, just tested the Cerberi and noticed more things. The Triton doesn't have that noize to it anymore (now barely hearable) and the Talon "afterburn" or w/e those flame trails are called now have a different colour...

What I don't really understand how can this conversion be so broken in almost every aspect since it's been worked on for YEARS. Once again I must praise the Race prj with regard to the Cerberi: Not only was the race perfectly converted, the voiceovers and the pilot gun improved enormously (tbh RD's version for the gun is abysmal), but the whole race bundle/conversion was done in IIRC a matter of a few weeks to a couple of months!
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Here's the deal: if you don't like it, don't test it, play it, look at it. Go play 1.2 and whatever else. i don't need you.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Red Devil wrote:Go play 1.2 and whatever else. i don't need you.
Yeah, I'll go play FE for 1.2 until you've actually managed to get the first single player mission working properly. See you in 10 years then. :lol:
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

I expect nothing more from you than being useless.

I also like how you criticize changes, yet you extol the changes someone else made. That is the definition of hypocrisy.

bye
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Ban on fulmen was not called for here, undone. Topic remains locked.

But, fulmen, if you want to be elsewhere for 10 years, as you suggest, I think that everyone-- you and the rest of us-- would be just fine. Consider yourself warned for personal attacks.

-- GSH