Some issues with BZClassic

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

JuiceBox
Sober Scav

Some issues with BZClassic

Post by JuiceBox »

Just been playing through BZClassic pb3e and noticed a couple of things. Sorry if these have already been brought up.

- In the instant action missions, when I selected the 'attack' option for one of my units, the enemy recycler/factory/armoury drop-offs would show up under the list of things to be attacked
- Bombers and walkers (especially bombers) can't seem to aim properly. As one example, I ordered a couple of bombers to attack an undefended Soviet factory in the second Europa mission, and they ended up accidentally destroying each other and leaving the factory without a scratch. In addition, the bomber's 'target destroyed' voiceover plays as soon as they've started firing at their target, rather than after they've destroyed it (I think this happened with howitzers as well). In addition, walkers can't even seem to hold up against a single scout (they keep missing). This makes the games two most fearsome units into the two most useless.
- Day wrecker seems nerfed (could have been that way in BZ1 anyway, can't remember because I never really used it). Hit aforementioned factory with it and it took less than 1/5 hull damage.
- I can't tell howitzers to attack by pointing at the target. I have to select it, select 'attack' and then find my target on the list.
- In the last NSDF Venus mission (where you have to take out Soviet howitzers), the howitzers would occasionally point their cannons straight at me rather than firing into the air. It was interesting and made it more challenging (they could actually hit me now), but seems like a bug.
- In a lot of missions the AI attacks really hard for the first ten minutes or so, then just stops. I'm guessing it's running out of pilots.
- Not sure if this limitation is caused by the BZ2 engine or not, but I can't seem to be able to aim low enough. It makes battles on hills (e.g. volcano in 2nd Mars mission) very tedious.

That being said, I'm really enjoying this mod. It is sad that a couple of my favourite things about BZ couldn't be replicated in BZ2, namely the ability to place buildings anywhere flat rather than in a 'grid' and some of the very floaty physics (gun towers spinning under the ground, anyone?) - but nonetheless BZC manages to be exquisitely nostalgic.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Some issues with BZClassic

Post by General BlackDragon »

Some of these have already been addressed in the next update.

Recy/Fact/Armory Dropoffs are fixed.

Bombers, hmm. I'll look into the sound, and the walkers sucked in BZ1 too (sasquatch did anyway), and the Golem has been fixed a bit, it should be better.

Daywrecker was weak in BZ1, Been thinking about beefing it up a little bit. The IA/MP recycler variant "GBD with Goodies" has one with 1.5x damage.

I'll look into the Howitzer -point to attack thing.

Howitzers aiming at you, Yeah, that was not like that originally in BZ, but in the new 1.5 patch in BZ1 they do that too now sometimes.

If the AI is out of pilots, the AIP debugger (enabled by default? Togglable in BZClassic/Config/Local_Prefs.ini) will say "Requirements not met for ODFNAME". AFAIK BZ1 SP missions didn't give the AI an unlimited number of pilots, though they may have.

Aiming low? Is your Auto Leveling setting on in PLAY options? If so, turn it off.

I'm still slaving away at an update for the mod :)
Last edited by General BlackDragon on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Afaik this is the last topic for BZClassic: click
Might be usefull to keep things grouped.

Edit: sniped ..
JuiceBox
Sober Scav

Post by JuiceBox »

General BlackDragon wrote:Bombers, hmm. I'll look into the sound, and the walkers sucked in BZ1 too (sasquatch did anyway), and the Golem has been fixed a bit, it should be better.
Yeah, Sasquatch did suck. But it was able to hold its own against a single scout, unless my memory fails me :D . Probably a result of the better scout AI rather than a worse walker one.
General BlackDragon wrote:If the AI is out of pilots, the AIP debugger (enabled by default? Togglable in BZClassic/Config/Local_Prefs.ini) will say "Requirements not met for ODFNAME". AFAIK BZ1 SP missions didn't give the AI an unlimited number of pilots, though they may have
Okay, I'll check that the debugger is enabled. As I said, I'm only guessing that pilots are the issue. Also, this may seem ignorant, but I'm not familiar with the acronym AFAIK.
General BlackDragon wrote:Aiming low? Is your Auto Leveling setting on in PLAY options? If so, turn it off.

*Slaps forehead*. Ah... yep, that'll do it :lol: .
General BlackDragon wrote:I'm still slaving away at an update for the mod
And your work is very much appreciated. I look forward to the update.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

The sasquatch will now fire both of it's weapons, so maybe that'll help.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

The walker issue was caused by the lack of weapon convergence in BZ1 and how aiming is done via the first main weapon HP.
JuiceBox
Sober Scav

Post by JuiceBox »

Another thing: I'm on the first Titan mission (where you rescue the 3 lots of survivors), and the game automatically makes me fail straight after Collins tells me to rescue the CCA guys. It tells me that one of the NSDF pilots I was supposed to be rescuing has died, even though that's not the case.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

2 Possible causes afaik.
-The CCA barrack was destroyed.
-The APC that picked up the survivors was destroyed/scrapped.

Cant really remember which triggered it, but prevent the above 2 from happening 'fixed' it for me.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

That NSDF mission was bugged, It's been fixed for next version too.

for now, open console with Ctr+~ and type: game.cheat bzwinner