Green Heart Variant in ST/FFA

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Corvus Corax
Scrap

Green Heart Variant in ST/FFA

Post by Corvus Corax »

Hey everyone, new guy here.
My friend and I play LAN games using 1.3.6.5 and we're looking to mix things up a bit:

We're thinking about doing a "storm the castle" style thing where one player builds a base using the Green Heart walls/turrets/etc., while the other player builds armadas to storm the base.

Is there any way to easily code the Green Heart variant into ST/FFA?
(IANAP)

Many thanks!
-CC
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Green Heart Variant in ST/FFA

Post by General BlackDragon »

CC...I think I remember that name...

You can add it into the autoreg file I suppose, but that may make you only able to play with others that have the modified file.

in Maps13/autoreg:

ivrecygh.autoreg

Copy it and place it in addon/autoreg. You may need to make an autoreg folder in your addon folder.

Open it with any text editor, like Notepad.

Code: Select all

[RecyclerListMPI]
ODFName = "ivrecygh"
Description = "MPI-only: GreenHeart Variant, no TTB"

[IAHumanRecyclerList]
ODFName = "ivrecygh"
Description = "GreenHeart Variant"
Add a section for [RecyclerList] and [RecyclerListFFA], which would just be copies of the others.

Code: Select all

[RecyclerList]
ODFName = "ivrecygh"
Description = "GreenHeart Variant, no TTB"

[RecyclerListFFA]
ODFName = "ivrecygh"
Description = "GreenHeart Variant, no TTB"

[RecyclerListMPI]
ODFName = "ivrecygh"
Description = "MPI-only: GreenHeart Variant, no TTB"

[IAHumanRecyclerList]
ODFName = "ivrecygh"
Description = "GreenHeart Variant"
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

That somehow reminded me of those FE-MPI games with a human (or two) on the AI side. Oh boy did the AI build armada's to assault our base of 1 Recy and 2 turrets ... :D
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I used to like joining the AI team and fighting against a team of humans in 1.2. Usually the human team was comprised of low-quality MPI players and they would drop bricks when they were hunted down by an unusually aggressive "Team_Computer" ship.

Funny thing was that at first, hosts didn't seem to really recognize what it meant when they seen the chat message "Team_Computer joined session", they wouldnt know WTH was going on. But then they started wising up eventually.

Good times.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
Corvus Corax
Scrap

Post by Corvus Corax »

Yep that did the trick!
Just ran a game last night and it was great fun - We set an armistice line between the two players, no shots or units were allowed to cross it for a predetermined time limit...one team focused on offensive units while the other focused on building defenses around their recycler. At the end of the time limit, the offensive team moves across the armistice line and goes for the rec.
The balance was fun: Once the attack begins, the aggressor gradually loses defenses as they hammer on the defender...at a certain point, the aggressor has allocated a critical number of units to the attack so as to leave their recycler vulnerable, while the defender's perimeter collapses toward the rec. At the conclusion, it was very close - if the aggressor doesn't get the recycler by the end of their last wave, then both teams are basically back to the beginning: both have vulnerable recyclers, and both have no offensive capabilities. All the scrap is on one side of the game, though, so it bodes well for the aggressor to take all the biopools they can on they way to the defenders recycler.

Thanks for helping us out!
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i've been making a gh aip set so you can play against the gh units in mpi; haven't come up with much of an anti-slug response yet...
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Zero Angel wrote:I used to like joining the AI team and fighting against a team of humans in 1.2. Usually the human team was comprised of low-quality MPI players and they would drop bricks when they were hunted down by an unusually aggressive "Team_Computer" ship.

Funny thing was that at first, hosts didn't seem to really recognize what it meant when they seen the chat message "Team_Computer joined session", they wouldnt know WTH was going on. But then they started wising up eventually.

Good times.
I know. I tended to join them to balance things out a bit, but found their commanding too hilarious (at the beginning mostly) to take over.
Only down side was that at some point certain players found out how to do it and did it in any game they liked, even when asked to leave the AI-team alone. Similar as the editor 'bug' was often misused.
Corvus Corax wrote:[snip]
Do you allow the defender to defend or just build and see his base being reduced to pulp?
Also is the defender allowed to use units in defence or just gun towers/turrets?

If you allow the defender to build and defend using units .. try a game of FFA (Free For All). There tend to be those that turtle and do not know how to attack in a strong fashion. Those players sometimes build remarkable bases that need to be reduced to pulp. Then there are the capable players that end up on the losing side (if you can break their offence).. breaking their base, at the end of a lengthy FFA, is often the work of massive armies.

In one game I could not break some vets base without deploying a whopping total of 50 APC's, accompanied by a load of Walkers and blast-sabres. Makes for fun games. :D
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Red Spot wrote: Similar as the editor 'bug' was often misused.
I've only ever seen people use the editor bug to goof around in DMs, placing tunnels and buildings and things like that. It required some set up too, since the editor would no longer work once another person entered the world. Don't think it would have ever been a problem in strats, joining an already started strat game with only one player on the enemy team and an already flashing 'enter game' button would be a big red flag. :lol:
Regulators
Earn your keep
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

The people that knew the bug were generally not very open about how it worked, so the people who were unaware were also unaware of 'red flags'. I.o.w. there was some unfair stuff going about during the afternoon in CET(+ a few hours). Didnt seem to happen late evening or nights, when most americanos where online.

Often funny as h*ll, but unfair nevertheless....
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Yeah, the team computer thing was actually pretty unfair, since the CPU team often got pretty big scrap boosts the player basically had an infinite supply of ships where replacement of them didnt really slow the CPU down; but it could be leveraged too since stock MPIs weren't very hard in the first place -- a team of strong players going against another strong player on the CPU team could be fairly even.

However, I think i've only seen that situation occur only once. Most of the time you had an A or S class strat player on a scrap boosted CPU team going against a bunch of people who aren't used to manuvering their ships in extreme manners which is necessary to become a good dogfighter or tactical player. So they would get mopped.
Regulators
Earn your keep
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Could be another game mode there...
One player confined to a bunker playing as the Team computers commander vs a normal team or teams.
Sheppy Mode. :D
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrTwosheds wrote:Could be another game mode there...
One player confined to a bunker playing as the Team computers commander vs a normal team or teams.
Sheppy Mode. :D
Honostly, that'd suck... :twisted:
Comm bunker commanding is not seen as much fun by a lot of people that do like and grasp this game.
Could be an interesting concept to bring back 'pilot mode' for this purpose, but now with a scrapboost and vs a team of humans. Without the severe limitations it would likely end up like ZA described it, players dropping bricks. Probably why you'd limit the 'AI commander' to the bunker.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I did have a 'Camera Pod' game in VSR once. I proposed for the other commander and myself to start the game as Camera Pods, and we each commanded a small team team of thugs. Now, Camera Pods are faster than scouts, invisible (and can be ignored by AI), and can access panels (recycler, factory, relay), which makes them good command vehicles. I made a heavy use of 'smart scouts and other AI units to attack the enemy thugs, along with my own thugs.

Game played out well enough; although at the time we didn't have any features in place to be able to access the commbunk from anywhere. (this is now possible with the newest VSR maps and DLLs).

Furthermore, VSR does have universal/generic AIPs written for it. It should possible to implement a similar mode since we have most of the component pieces for it already done. I had actually thought of asking GBD to implement 'AI Take Over', which is a capability for the AIP to take over commanding of the player's forces if they were absent from the game (e.g. in FFA), although the idea didn't really make the cut for the VSR 5.0 release (it would have likely delayed its release) -- and post VSR 5.0 content hasn't made much progress except for some bug fixes and balance tweaks we are planning to do.
Regulators
Earn your keep
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Zero Angel wrote:I had actually thought of asking GBD to implement 'AI Take Over', which is a capability for the AIP to take over commanding of the player's forces if they were absent from the game (e.g. in FFA)
That is an interesting idea, specially if it allows the/a player to take over again from the AI.
(I.o.w. allows more players in the game than would require humans to begin with, allowing more to drop in later without finding themselves in a base that was never build or somesuch.)