BZII High Resolution texture mod RELEASED

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: BZII High Resolution texture mod RELEASED

Post by General BlackDragon »

No, the issues with QF mod are related to the UI it has being designed for larger resolutions.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Sunrust wrote:
AHadley wrote:QF2 was made by bigbadbogie; Coxxon made the Uler mod, which was right at the dawn of BZ2 modding.
Whoops, sorry for the confusion then :oops:
AHadley wrote:I would assume the reason he cited "900p" is because the highest resolution he can reach is 1600x900. Worth noting, Sunrust, that that limit might be imposed by your graphics card/chipset and not your monitor.
Actually my monitor is a HP 2011x which came with the stock computer I got in 2013 (old one died out back then, so had to replace it). My GPU however is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 Dual-X, which is capable of supporting resolutions above 1080p. I'm pretty sure the issue is the monitor, though if I am wrong please correct me. :)

As for why I asked in the first place, it's because on the QF2 ModDB page it said, "This mod is best played on high resolutions. Anything lower than 1680x1050 may cause issues. It was designed for HD resolutions - specifically 1920x1080 Full HD. For the best playing experience, I would recommend using this resolution or higher." I was concerned that this also holds true for this High Resolution texture mod. But I assume now though I won't have an issue with it? :)
1st Feature shown is the factory resolution of 1600x900.
My experience is that a lot (all/most?) dont go above their factory resolution and that it is adviced to run it at that resolution.
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

MrTwosheds wrote:Yes, but, it's actually very useful to know how to, It's a hell of a lot easier to paste materials sections into a whole load of xsi
than it is to edit and re-export all your models again just to get them all looking the same.
I agree there. That's what I've been doing to get the specularity into all the parts to show up. I just wished I didn't have too. :)
Deathbringer
Sober Scav

Post by Deathbringer »

I just ran across this and I have to say.. Stellar work. Holy smokes.. Better textures makes me want to play all the maps again just to see what they look like!

Thank you for doing this and my sincerest thanks for sharing..
That goes to everyone who has put time and effort into the game that I just keep coming back too no matter what else comes out.
My 15 year old son is into this now and he has time to play the newest games and well.. he does.. but he is always asking me if I have time to play a strat game with him and we both have a blast.
Yesterday he says "It's hard to explain, but this game is just FUN".
Thank you again.
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Deathbringer wrote:I just ran across this and I have to say.. Stellar work. Holy smokes.. B.
Glad you're enjoying the new textures.
Yup it is pretty amazing all the work so many have done to make this game better, and to keep it going.
Mr_Scorpion
Drunken Constructor

Post by Mr_Scorpion »

Hey Coxxon nice work on these textures and making my favorite game BZ2 still look smexy as to this very day.

I have a question though, do you know of the New UEP Team Colors? Where the grey parts are colored naturally while the Orange/Steel parts become tinted at the color of respective team.

It would be really cool if you could have a look at those and maybe recreate something of the like in the next release of this.

Just a simple request bro, keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Mr_Scorpion wrote:... do you know of the New UEP Team Colors? Where the grey parts are colored naturally while the Orange/Steel parts become tinted at the color of respective team. ...
Nope, don't know about UEP. On the team colors, unless there is some new(ish) code thing going on, a team color seems to paint the entire texture, and those colors show up more in the lighter areas of a texture.So on my addon, and following, as I recall, the Pandi examples, I put a 60% white over the top of ISDF orange, and maybe over the Scion "blue" metal. At any rate, those areas where the white was put would be the ones that would be more of the "team color" used in MP. It could be switched around, but every color would pick up some of the auto-assigned team color. I don't know if any of that helps, but that seems to be the way it works.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

coxxon wrote:
Mr_Scorpion wrote:... do you know of the New UEP Team Colors? Where the grey parts are colored naturally while the Orange/Steel parts become tinted at the color of respective team. ...
Nope, don't know about UEP. On the team colors, unless there is some new(ish) code thing going on, a team color seems to paint the entire texture, and those colors show up more in the lighter areas of a texture.So on my addon, and following, as I recall, the Pandi examples, I put a 60% white over the top of ISDF orange, and maybe over the Scion "blue" metal. At any rate, those areas where the white was put would be the ones that would be more of the "team color" used in MP. It could be switched around, but every color would pick up some of the auto-assigned team color. I don't know if any of that helps, but that seems to be the way it works.
The UEP included a micromod that used glow textures to redraw the grey and yellow parts of ISDF and Scion skins over the teamcolor layer.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:The UEP included a micromod that used glow textures to redraw the grey and yellow parts of ISDF and Scion skins over the teamcolor layer.
Still trying to get a code edit to allow team color masking...
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

<<<knows how to get multi materials working in an xsi-msh :)
And how to arrange things so that mesh builder does not team colour all of a meshes polygons.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

MrTwosheds wrote:<<<knows how to get multi materials working in an xsi-msh :)
And how to arrange things so that mesh builder does not team colour all of a meshes polygons.
okay ... how?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Understanding it requires some knowledge of the xsi format (in text) but basically you make a model with 2 materials applied to different parts of a mesh and export it as an xsi.
Open it up in a text editor, locate the si_materials section with the 2 materials (stock bz2 usually only have one) and then notice that what is usually a mysterious long vertical column of zero's is now a long vertical column of zero's and one's, specifying which of the two materials are used on individual poly's.
OK...Load it via bz2 edit and Red gets slapped all over both of em, :(
So I figure bz2 edit does something simple, see texture 00 find c0 PAINT it all RED!
So you got 2 materials with 2 textures one has 00-c0 the other does not.
You also got a column of 1 & 0's telling mesh builder which material to use...I believe it reads up from the bottom.
So the trick is to get mesh builder to find the Non team textured material first.
You can swap the materials positions, and you can change all the zero's to ones and the ones to zero's. That 4 different states, only one of them delivers the non team texture first and gets part of the msh NOT painted RED.

So basically you make a multi material mesh, swap the ones and zeros, if it's still comes out red swap the materials position, if it's still comes out red change the one's and zero's back again, at some point you find the 1 of four states where that particular model only gets partially painted red.

My avatar uses both glowskins and multi materials, the eyestalk uses the non team texture alone, with glow on the blue eye, the rest of the model is one mesh using glowskins for the light green panels and the ear lights on top, the grill and neck ring are uncolored and not glowing. The dalek behind it is the same model and textures on the other team.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I don't see how any of that is special 2sheds. You just applied some of the textures to different faces in the same mesh. People have done that forever. A# skins are still fullbright in any case which sucks. Wish we had T# or something
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The point, Nielk1, is that multi texturing does not normally avoid bz2's team coloring process. An unmodified xsi single mesh object gets painted all over even if parts of it do not have team skins applied to them. I expect it is just a question of which polygon and what material bz2 finds first.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:The point, Nielk1, is that multi texturing does not normally avoid bz2's team coloring process. An unmodified xsi single mesh object gets painted all over even if parts of it do not have team skins applied to them. I expect it is just a question of which polygon and what material bz2 finds first.
Ah so there's a regression in the team color system that only looks at the first texture on a mesh frame to check for a C#?

That might get fixed... Probably not though.

Interesting oddity.

I might want to look at some of your MSH to see what anomalies are within.

I've been meaning to test out some of the material baking in MSH to see if I can pre-fill the game's texture buffer with a different texture than it should be by loading a malformed MSH first, but MSHs are a pain to edit anything on.