So Coxxon, how have you spent 2015?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

coxxon
Sabre

Re: So Coxxon, how have you spent 2015?

Post by coxxon »

Red Devil wrote:i'm thinking you could do this for a living if you don't already.
Thanks, I appreciate that.
I wouldn’t mind doing this sort of thing for a living, but it still seems a field that’s wonky to get into, and ultimately unstable to stay in – at least at my age and level of skill. But it would be nice to get more of my stuff out in the world … and start monetizing some of my efforts.
General BlackDragon wrote:Ditto. I bet BZ Remastered could use you
I bet they could too.:)
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

If they do a BZ2 remastered, I'd be sure to suggest this as a head start.

-- GSH
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Ditto. :)
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

If they do a BZ2 remastered, we will have entered some sort of weird parallel universe. :)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

I'm going to be the voice to the contrary, if they do a BZ2 remastered I sincerely hope they take the art style in a less... colourful direction.

Your work is impressive, Coxxon, but just looking at the original media... yeah, I hope Rebellion doesn't recreate that.

pls no haet guys I am, jsut voicing my opnion
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

We love our Orange tanks. :)
These days you can have them in whatever color you want with a quick console command and some entries in localprefs.ini.
TeamColorTeamA="128 128 128 150" // grey
TeamColorTeamB="0 130 160 150" // blue
I made em Pink the other day...Now that really was just wrong.
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »

Oh, I've seen the fancy team colours, they look... strange, in my opinion. They just apply to the entire texture for the unit or building, which would be odd enough on it's own without the fact that it doesn't even apply to some textures, most often with buildings.

We're hoping for team colours for the BZ1 remaster, ones that apply selectively to parts of the texture, like in most RTS games with team colours. It'd be nice to see them for BZ2 as well, I'll admit, my personal favourite would be white or maybe deep green. :P

I didn't mean the colour scheme, though, BZ2 has a more exaggerated style, very similar to Dark Reign 2 (no surprise there) and I personally don't like it. It has grown on me since I started playing, a little, I will admit, but for the most part it really doesn't do it for me. *shrug*
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i'm thinking that'd be a *whollllle* lot more work, even just to add it to the engine, let alone do it for each model.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
DuoRanger
Thunderbolt

Post by DuoRanger »

DeusExCeteri wrote:I'm going to be the voice to the contrary, if they do a BZ2 remastered I sincerely hope they take the art style in a less... colourful direction.

Your work is impressive, Coxxon, but just looking at the original media... yeah, I hope Rebellion doesn't recreate that.

pls no haet guys I am, jsut voicing my opnion
seeing that there's no news yet about BZ1 and TRO remaster

even Mike Arkin vanished out of nowehere along with ken, also BZC is dead
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Say what? The RM is still in-progress, chugging along.

As for BZClub, it's been dead for years.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

i'm thinking that'd be a *whollllle* lot more work, even just to add it to the engine, let alone do it for each model.
That would depend on how it was done, something relatively simple would be to code in the ability to specify a team skin eg Team A uses IvtankB0 Team B uses ivtankD0. Then the artists (that don't actually exist :) ) could simply make a skin coloured as they want and use the local prefs commands noted above to turn off the engine colouring. It's not really worthwhile though, Very few people ever even used the localprefs settings and to be realistic nobody is really looking at the ships in game anyway, they just want to know what it is and wether or not to shoot at it. :)
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

GSH wrote:If they do a BZ2 remastered, I'd be sure to suggest this as a head start. -- GSH
Thanks. If nothing else my mod will provide at least one vision ... version of how BZII could be updated. Now if I can just finish the darn thing ...
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

DeusExCeteri wrote:I'm going to be the voice to the contrary, if they do a BZ2 remastered I sincerely hope they take the art style in a less... colourful direction. ... but just looking at the original media... yeah, I hope Rebellion doesn't recreate that.
Originally I hated the orange tanks, and yellow splotches on the Scion stuff, but over time I've come to like it, at least within this particular game. But if you think about it, only the nsdf combat units were "realistically" colored in BZ and some of them had faces on them. The CCA was white and red, and the NSDF scavs were yellow, so even that game had some funky coloring for a war game.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Soldiers always used to dress neatly in their brightly coloured uniforms, it was quite important when you need to figure out who to stab in a large crowd of people trying to murder each other. Modern weapons and death from a distance brought the need for camouflage with them. Bright identifying colours are actually fairly essential in a game like this, it is more like hand to hand combat than real modern warfare.
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

MrTwosheds wrote:Bright identifying colours are actually fairly essential in a game like this, it is more like hand to hand combat than real modern warfare.
Yeah, it really is a lot of close up fight, and there really isn't much use for camo in this game. If there was, what color would one use? Us older folks, or at least the BZI crowd, are kinda used to drab green, but really, since most of Western culture seems to fight in the Middle East these days, we've gotten a whole generation of gamers who probably think of military ground vehicles as being tan rather than green. That said, it might have been neat if the game had used teamcolors in SP/IA and then be able to set up what color to use when the map was being built. That way you could have per map/planet camo ...