Some difficulty with Uler

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Ghastly
Sober Scav

Some difficulty with Uler

Post by Ghastly »

Just tried the Uler mod (the 1.3PB6 version), and I'm having some trouble with the first mission:

DEAR GOD, there are a lot of Osiris and other craft attacking, my units can only hold against three waves or so, and there are no scrap pools nearby (I know about the one by the turrets, but all others require me to pass over the lava with a scavenger before I can take another). I'm wondering if there's a bug, also, because my recycler only holds 20 scrap, so I need two scavengers deployed before I can even think about building gun towers.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this basically a "hope you're good with your SP-Stabber" kind of mission?
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: Some difficulty with Uler

Post by Red Devil »

i don't think i changed the recycler's scrap hold; i'll check.

i've really neglected the Uler mod for the last few years. i think i did not finish all of its AIPs, so i'll have to redo them using some Lua. I'll also check the SP AIPs.

Hmmm, no SP AIP's.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Yup, all the recyclers have a scrap hold of 20.
Ghastly
Sober Scav

Post by Ghastly »

So in the meantime, how is this mission intended to be played? The scrap is too restricted and the attack waves are too anvilicious for my usual "throw down gun towers ASAP before anything else" approach.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

not sure; i've never been able to beat it. maybe others have?

since there are no AIPs for the SP missions, all action is controlled by that missions's SP DLL and has not changed since day one.

me, i'd get good at using my guns. :?
Vearie
Griefer

Post by Vearie »

Make rats, 5 rats can kill a lot faster than 5 guntowers if placed correctly.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Vearie wrote:Make rats, 5 rats can kill a lot faster than 5 guntowers if placed correctly.
For once, this once, I say listen to Vearie.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i may increase the scrap hold to 40 and see how it goes
Ghastly
Sober Scav

Post by Ghastly »

Vearie wrote:Make rats, 5 rats can kill a lot faster than 5 guntowers if placed correctly.
Still, the gun towers are a lot more durable. My turrets are dying faster than I can replace them, and the terrain around the one accessible scrap pool is murder on the turrets.
23-down
Drunken Scav

Post by 23-down »

I hope the author of this great mod will see this or at least the person that ported it to pb6.

Bugs - glitches wishes:

Mission1:
I agree with Ghastly this mission is unrealistic hard at some points even harder than the Fleshstorm missions due to the fact that the player has no base pool nearby which means no income and you can't really defend your pools with a nearly unlimted amount of units coming in. It's like they spawn in an infinte loop every few seconds.

Recommendation: Reduce the spawning numbers of enemy units a little or add a base pool near the recycler. Or reduce the timelimit a bit for the Evac call.

Mission 6 - A brave new World:

- The bridge which leads to the sat dish isn't really there. You will fall through what makes it impossible to win this mission. I had to enable cheats and fire a long time with my mainweapon on it in order to pass that mission.

Recommendation: I recommend to add a longer spawn delay for the troops spawning at the barracks. It's simply stupid and also very hard if soldiers & rocket soldiers spawn every 2 seconds. Same goes for the ISDF camp in which you have to destroy the ISDF comm bunker.

Major issues: ISDF guntowers can't fire on the ground which makes em totally useless at close combat range which makes it almost impossible to defend the scrap pools in Mission 7 for example.

Logic issue:? In some of the debriefings the hadean are mentioned which means theoretically that this storyline is based after the events of Forgotten Enemies. Why is the ISDF called ISDF and not EDF in that case?

Wishes: Should the author or someone else ever update this mod then it would be great if someone could add a 2nd recycler variant for all factions in which you can build all additional units from the SP campaign. For example Scion bombers etc. Would be great if all factions have the same possibilities for balance reasons. I tried it once myself but it's simply to complicated for me.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

boy, good timing; just woke up and saw this :)

i'm not the author of this great mod - Coxxon is, who is...away. i'm just tending it while he is absent.

i'll fix these things soonish (busy summer here).

i don't have the Uler source code for the missions, but i could probably recreate it for the missions that need it.

thanks for the good feedback.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

If the missions were made with the scriptor we can reverse them back to BZS files.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

nope, they were made using straight C++
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Red Devil wrote:i may increase the scrap hold to 40 and see how it goes
No, don't... Keep the mods as much true to their original versions as possible!!!

PS. This mission is entirely beatable, so are the others.
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Well it's been probably a decade since I last played Uler, but as I recall the first mission was set on a timer (in the scriptor-made dll). You won't destroy all the enemy (b/c the idea is they are a new, endless army pouring out of the wormhole gate). Basically there is a location between the gate and your Recycler, (with a nearby scrap pool as I recall), that the tactic (if you can call it that) is to build a solid row of gun towers, and keep replacing them, as well as pump out combat units to "hold the line" until you receive a scan and then a retreat order, then you have to make a run for a dropship to escape.

Funny thing was people said Uler mod was hard, but I found FE to be much harder (never even finished it). I guess it goes to show the different play styles BZ2 could accommodate.