So what happened?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: So what happened?

Post by MrTwosheds »

Bz2's Xsi isn't a bad model format really, unfortunately due to a lack of available programs using it, it takes quite a while to figure out just what you can do with it. Took me ages and 3dsmax to figure out how to apply > one texture to a single mesh and I'm still often mystified about the best way to set up materials on models as the only way to see what they are really going to look like is by viewing them in bz2.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I've pretty well figured it out. Since the XSI format we need is entirely ASCII, it is really easy to make an exporter if one has any understanding of how to make exporters. The issue is that of those members who have the knowledge, they have not the time.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Col Klink wrote:You know...your right. Why fix something that ain't broken. Btw, Raxx is taking a break on the XSI exporter due to final exams in school. He said he would resume work after things settle down again. Anim8or, is really cool for making models in general. I'm beginning to like it more then Truespace...imagine that? Cheers.
You don't happen to keep a book with all your password in somewhere, do you?
Sly
Griefer

Post by Sly »

I believe what Mortarion is trying to get at in his posts isn't how 1.2 is better than 1.3. 1.2 is an unstable POS to play on, that much is true. The fact he is bringing up is that bz2 hasn't really come too far for a lot of players in terms of the BS still occurring. AHadley; I have nothing against trying to defend 1.3, but please do it in a way that makes sense. Comparing hovering and multiplayer editing to warp/lag/regains/server crashes makes little sense. If someone joins a game that has been edited or someone is using hovering, just leave; or, if they are in your server, kick them! The problem with the lag is that, even friends who want to play together etc. will experience the BS of random crashes and all of this other stuff (brings me back to all of the random crashes I would get 2 hours into MPI games back in 1.2). I can only assume the reason you are comparing such things is that you possess very little knowledge about this game (which is very likely considering you thought 1.3 rattlers spun their heads around faster than ZST rats), or that you really don't know how to sit back and think over a statement before you add it into your argument. But, rather than just admitting that it was a flawed point, you continue to try to argue for it in order to save face....SMH
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

AHadley wrote:
Col Klink wrote:You know...your right. Why fix something that ain't broken. Btw, Raxx is taking a break on the XSI exporter due to final exams in school. He said he would resume work after things settle down again. Anim8or, is really cool for making models in general. I'm beginning to like it more then Truespace...imagine that? Cheers.
Hum? Sorry, but what do you mean bro?
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

GSH wrote:Exactly. OM made an exporter for Blender. No work done or needed on my part. That's a win for me and the community as a whole -- it lets people work in parallel.

As I mentioned to you (Klink) on IRC, my current employer is updating the company exporter we use internally, and we've spent ~1500 man-hours (i.e. 8 months) on it. That kind of time would be many years worth of my spare time. Are your models that important that I should drop everything and work on exporters for years? I don't think so. Plus, any work I do would be for 1.3 and 1.3 only. You (Klink) seem to prefer 1.2 for some crazy reason, probably because you can't seem to figure out BZ2DXTGen. Demanding I do work for you and being a stick in the mud about what version doesn't go over well.

-- GSH
How exactly am I demanding anything Natan? When I first ask for help on the Anim8or forum about making an XSI exporter for BZII I really didn't expect much help at all. Raxx, originally fixed up an existing X exporter for me to work with 3DEX in converting my A8 models to XSI. Then I ask if an XSI version could be adapted from the X version and he said it could be done fairly easy, and he modified it successfully in like a week? Honestly, I really understand your lame hostility towards me? I'm just another BZII fan that happens to like creating stuff for BZII. I don't really know if Raxx is a programmer, but if he did it I don't see why you couldn't do it as well? Nobody can demand anything from you, but that won't stop us from asking if it's possible. I plan on continuing to post on this forum because I like BZII. You know what? Lately, I haven't done anything to warrant critism. What's your problem Natan? Leroy aka Col Klink.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Sly wrote:I believe what Mortarion is trying to get at in his posts isn't how 1.2 is better than 1.3. 1.2 is an unstable POS to play on, that much is true. The fact he is bringing up is that bz2 hasn't really come too far for a lot of players in terms of the BS still occurring. AHadley; I have nothing against trying to defend 1.3, but please do it in a way that makes sense. Comparing hovering and multiplayer editing to warp/lag/regains/server crashes makes little sense. If someone joins a game that has been edited or someone is using hovering, just leave; or, if they are in your server, kick them! The problem with the lag is that, even friends who want to play together etc. will experience the BS of random crashes and all of this other stuff (brings me back to all of the random crashes I would get 2 hours into MPI games back in 1.2). I can only assume the reason you are comparing such things is that you possess very little knowledge about this game (which is very likely considering you thought 1.3 rattlers spun their heads around faster than ZST rats), or that you really don't know how to sit back and think over a statement before you add it into your argument. But, rather than just admitting that it was a flawed point, you continue to try to argue for it in order to save face....SMH
I wasn't comparing flying to lag as such, just saying that the bugs in both can be equally bad.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Col Klink wrote: I don't really know if Raxx is a programmer, but if he did it I don't see why you couldn't do it as well?
Hmmm.

- Job
- Kids
- Wife
- Patch
- Food?
- Sleep?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Col Klink wrote:
GSH wrote:Exactly. OM made an exporter for Blender. No work done or needed on my part. That's a win for me and the community as a whole -- it lets people work in parallel.

As I mentioned to you (Klink) on IRC, my current employer is updating the company exporter we use internally, and we've spent ~1500 man-hours (i.e. 8 months) on it. That kind of time would be many years worth of my spare time. Are your models that important that I should drop everything and work on exporters for years? I don't think so. Plus, any work I do would be for 1.3 and 1.3 only. You (Klink) seem to prefer 1.2 for some crazy reason, probably because you can't seem to figure out BZ2DXTGen. Demanding I do work for you and being a stick in the mud about what version doesn't go over well.

-- GSH
How exactly am I demanding anything Natan? When I first ask for help on the Anim8or forum about making an XSI exporter for BZII I really didn't expect much help at all. Raxx, originally fixed up an existing X exporter for me to work with 3DEX in converting my A8 models to XSI. Then I ask if an XSI version could be adapted from the X version and he said it could be done fairly easy, and he modified it successfully in like a week? Honestly, I really understand your lame hostility towards me? I'm just another BZII fan that happens to like creating stuff for BZII. I don't really know if Raxx is a programmer, but if he did it I don't see why you couldn't do it as well? Nobody can demand anything from you, but that won't stop us from asking if it's possible. I plan on continuing to post on this forum because I like BZII. You know what? Lately, I haven't done anything to warrant critism. What's your problem Natan? Leroy aka Col Klink.
What is this garbage? You don't know if Raxx is a programmer but if he can do it, what can't GSH? Because he, and the same with the rest of us, are not your dogs to do whatever the hell YOU think is important. We have our own considerations. We tell you what is possible when you ask, and then you go off about how we are wrong, or lying, or just ignore what we said and then later on complain we didn't tell you something. I don't understand what sort of fantasy world you live in.

<whatyousoundlike>"Oh, I didn't demand you do it, I just wondered why if this other guy can do it you can't, that's not implying anything"</whatyousoundlike>

That is the sort of thing you see in <sarcasm> tags, but damn, you are dead serious.
Sly
Griefer

Post by Sly »

Yep, can't tell you how many times I have gotten pissed off at some player, so I just go into his games and start hovering - BOOM, instant AV.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Sly wrote:Yep, can't tell you how many times I have gotten pissed off at some player, so I just go into his games and start hovering - BOOM, instant AV.
This post means nothing to me. You would appear to be comparing a 1.2 bug to... another 1.2 bug? Tangents.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

You certainly earn the 'griefer' tag. Too bad, you could choose to be useful. Or at least not a waste of oxygen.

-- GSH
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

The hostility on this forum is unbelievably ridiculous. Griefer, is just a lame tag to dehumanize people Nathan. When did you all become my dogs Nielk1?? All I did was ask for some help, but I can see that's not going to happen on this forum. You know what's ironic? Raxx, doesn't have any interest in Battlezone at all, yet he made the exporter anyways without any expectations or benefits to himself, but when I ask for some help from actual BZ fans I get no help at all and criticized for asking for help in the first place.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Col Klink wrote:
AHadley wrote:
Hum? Sorry, but what do you mean bro?
Roundabout way of saying that post didn't sound anything like you.

By the way, the people who are given the Griefer rank *are* griefers.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Admit to being a BZ2 griefer here, you earn that rank. It's 100% self-inflicted, sad to say.

-- GSH