Another free DXT converter and viewer.

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Feenix

Another free DXT converter and viewer.

Post by Feenix »

http://www.ozone3d.net/dxt_viewer.php

Update: It appears to work okay and also can convert other graphic formats to DXT1 and DX5. However, to load a DXT texture into the viewer it must be in powers of 2x2, i.e., squared perfectly. Hopefully other modders may find it useful. PS: It's freeware too...u-la-la I love free! :D
Here's a screenshot of the UI.
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: Another free DXT converter and viewer.

Post by GSH »

BZ2 pb6 does not read .dxt files. The files it reads have a different extension. I chose that different extension for a reason-- the file contents are not identical. 'Close' is not good enough for programmers.

BZ2DXTGen is also free. Its best viewer is BZ2.

-- GSH
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

GSH wrote:BZ2 pb6 does not read .dxt files. The files it reads have a different extension. I chose that different extension for a reason-- the file contents are not identical. 'Close' is not good enough for programmers.

-- GSH
Does that mean that only BZII can be used for viewing DXT textures as in only on the model itself? Technically, that's not really a texture viewer in the sense of a utiltiy that is designed for that purpose.
labmice00
Thunderbolt

Post by labmice00 »

Yes, and it is not DXT, it's DXTBZ2. And you could just view the model with it's "original (BMP, TGA, etc.)" textures on. I don't think the file type drastically changes the image that much.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

labmice00 wrote:Yes, and it is not DXT, it's DXTBZ2. And you could just view the model with it's "original (BMP, TGA, etc.)" textures on. I don't think the file type drastically changes the image that much.
Okay, thanks. ;)
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

Feenix wrote:
GSH wrote:BZ2 pb6 does not read .dxt files. The files it reads have a different extension. I chose that different extension for a reason-- the file contents are not identical. 'Close' is not good enough for programmers.

-- GSH
Does that mean that only BZII can be used for viewing DXT textures as in only on the model itself? Technically, that's not really a texture viewer in the sense of a utiltiy that is designed for that purpose.
Would it be difficult to add a simple viewer/preview function to the converter utility? Some modeleres have mentioned in the past that the converted textures have some oddities paticularly when they load the models into the game itself or in the Map Editor for viewing. It never hurts to ask I guess?
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

All know issues w/ BZ2DXTGen have been addressed for quite some time. And, if you're going to spend so much time obsessing over any such issues, why don't you go read BZ2DXTOptions.cfg , part of BZ2DXTGen's install? It might just have what you're asking for, and you might get answers faster than waiting for answers.

-- GSH
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

GSH wrote:All know issues w/ BZ2DXTGen have been addressed for quite some time. And, if you're going to spend so much time obsessing over any such issues, why don't you go read BZ2DXTOptions.cfg , part of BZ2DXTGen's install? It might just have what you're asking for, and you might get answers faster than waiting for answers.

-- GSH
Not a problem, I'll check it out more closely; was I obssessing? Didn't realize it sorry. Nielk1 tells me he knows how to convert BZ2DXT to DXT, still though while not really essential a simple texture previewer would be a pretty nice addon to the converter utility.