Brightness

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Mortarion
Griefer

Brightness

Post by Mortarion »

Whenever I open the editor and start up a map with -1 brightness, my brightness for everything turns down. The settings are the same on my moniter but for some reason there is less contrast and everything is much more dull. Closing the editor does nothing, I have to restart to fix it.

What else can I do to fix this issue?

EDIT: mu curser seems to be the same color but eveything else is dull
squirrelof09
Sabre

Re: Brightness

Post by squirrelof09 »

On my screen this is what I see when I change brightness settings can you confirm that yours does not look like this? If so these are the expected results of that.

-1 Brightness
http://squirrelof09.net/captured/desktop-f8CimtDe.png

+1 Brightness
http://squirrelof09.net/captured/desktop-g5B7SNKU.png

Also check to make sure your monitor isn't doing some dynamic contrast.

Your issue sounds funny. I am not familiar with any game pref setting that your issue could apply to.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I have had this happen with other games. I have, in some games, seen the brightness change on my second screen which is not in game when I change it in said game. Forget if BZ2 was one of them.
squirrelof09
Sabre

Post by squirrelof09 »

I think it may have something to do with desktop gamma, and perhaps your drivers are fighting with the gamma being in control by the game. DUnno seems to make sense to me. Maybe someone else could explain better and perhaps provide a fix.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Do you have a Nvidia card and set profiles for say BZ2, but not the editor?
Or left it to adjust settings as it feels fit?

If one or both of the above is true, change it.
Mortarion
Griefer

Post by Mortarion »

I don't have a nvidia card, no.

Seems if I run bzone exe on +/-0 brightness it resolves the issue, strange man. I don't understand how just running the editor in -1 brightness can make everything I'm running darker except the curser, even after closing bz2 completely. Strange stuff.

Thanks for the replies though, I'll just open up bzone after bzedit to fix until there is more word on the matter.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I think that the instruction is getting to the video card to decrease the gamma, but it is never getting an instruction to set it back up higher again. Running BZ2 again probably allows for it to pass on the instruction to change the gamma back to normal.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Nielk1 wrote:I think that the instruction is getting to the video card to decrease the gamma, but it is never getting an instruction to set it back up higher again. Running BZ2 again probably allows for it to pass on the instruction to change the gamma back to normal.
Quite possible, I've seen a number of games do this.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

there's a gamma setting in render_editor.cfg and render.cfg. try playing with that.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

It's the OS's job to clean up after apps. If an app allocates memory then exits (cleanly or not), the OS releases all that memory. Should be the same with graphical options. BZ2 1.2 on Win98 w/ DX8 installed had issues where if DirectSound wasn't cleanly shutdown -- especially after crashes, and 1.2 sure was crashy -- BZ2 wouldn't launch again until a reboot. BZ2 1.2 on Win2000 behaved just fine, because WinNT cleaned up DirectSound properly.

Go bug Microsoft about this.

-- GSH
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I think it may have to do with the 3rd party apps that want to take control of desktop color setting, ie: Driver utilities (nvidia, catalyst), Adobe gamma, etc.

Maybe it's a driver issue or 3rd party app that's not allowing things to be reset.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Ah, another MS based issue. Probably to be fixed in a DirectX patch if ever.

Thanks for the info GSH.
jaydenbz2
Thunderbolt

Post by jaydenbz2 »

Come to think of it, I get an error quite often, I set my graphics options to 32-bit in bz2, my windows is also this, but sometimes when I start it I see it has returned to 16-bit, any insight?
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Come to think of it, I get an error quite often, I set my graphics options to 32-bit in bz2, my windows is also this, but sometimes when I start it I see it has returned to 16-bit, any insight?
"An error" is not specific enough for me to suggest anything or consider code changes.

-- GSH