Installer Bug - Doesn't configure Win7 Firewall correctly

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

BiafraRepublic
Scrap

Installer Bug - Doesn't configure Win7 Firewall correctly

Post by BiafraRepublic »

Installation location: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlezone II"
Version: 1.3.6.2 Public Beta

For some reason, when I tell the 1.3.6.2 Public Beta patch to allow BZII through the firewall, it only configures the firewall to allow connections using the Private profile ONLY and blocks NAT Edge Transversal. The end result is an inability to connect to the IRC chat in multiplayer, or see any of the NatNeg'd gameservers.

Enabling the rules to allow connections using the Public profile as well and allowing Edge Transversal seems to alleviate this...
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: Installer Bug - Doesn't configure Win7 Firewall correctl

Post by Nielk1 »

I've not yet dug into my W7 networking setup. Am I correct to understand that Public refers to a Public type connection and Private to a Home or Work type?

Just curious. And good bug report, quite clear.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

I just turn off firewalls :p
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Interesting, I'll have to check that out as I couldn't host despite telling telling the installer to configure the firewall. I just ended up disabing windows firewall completely and was hosting.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

I can confirm that only public profiles are allowing bz2 through. I tend to host bz2 with the home profile.

Out of the three profiles supported by "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security", Public, Private, and Domain, the installer is only setting up bz2 for the public profile. I suspect this is preventing bz2 from working if you are joining a Home or Work network. The domain profile should be self explanatory granted not very many people are going to have domain controllers setup at home so that isn't a big deal. Not even home server can serve as a domain controller.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Win7 (64bit) redirects installer registry entries for the firewall. (making them not work)
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Dataanti
Thunderbolt

Post by Dataanti »

i always allow mine through private, private meaning you are on a secure private network giving the program a lot more internet freedom then if it was on public
I've been lurking....