New player having trouble playing online. Bz1 player

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

G-Ram39
Scrap

New player having trouble playing online. Bz1 player

Post by G-Ram39 »

Have played bz1 for years. They ended up getting a very nice one download for all that let's ppl play online together no problems. I want to give bz2 a try it looks awesome. Problem is we downloaded the latest beta update and tried to play a game. First issue was I couldn't see games until I clicked tcp connection or whatever. Now I see maybe 3-4 games but haven't been able to join any at all either they're yellow with question marks or white and I get some kind of error message. Is there something I'm missing like a mod that everyone sea to be playing on or??

Thanks I'd love to be able to be one of the community and live I said I have 2 more friends that would love to play
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: New player having trouble playing online. Bz1 player

Post by GSH »

First off, you can check the BZ2 version installed by looking at the bottom-left of the initial pilot selection ("login") screen. Make sure it says 1.3.6.4z19. If not, make sure you installed 1.3.6.4-full then the 1.3.6.4z19 sub-build.

Yes, some people play with mods. However, you canNOT do a pokemon and go "gotta install them all." Some mods do not play well with others. In addition, many online games with mods are usually inhabited by unfriendly jerks who hate new players who don't think like them. You'll have a better experience as a new player if you play stock -- join games or hit the "create game" button in top right to make a game, no need to mess with router/firewall for most users -- until you're comfortable with how the game plays.

-- GSH
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Heres some tips:

White = Means this server is on the same version as you, and you have the map they're playing on.
Yellow = Means this server is on the same version as you, but you don't have the map they're playing on. You can join via Join IP to join in and ask where to download it.
Red = Means this is not on the same version as you.

Some games seem to have netnag errors when joining, that is on their end, I don't know how to fix that. It seems kindof random. I've seen it happen to my games half way through the game.

Creating a game allows you to control all the settings and would be good to learn to play and stuff.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
G-Ram39
Scrap

Post by G-Ram39 »

Thanks for the help guys. I guess most I've seen either had different maps or mods. Some ppl seem to sit idol them.

I've just been creating my own and playing mpi or playing just a strat until I get used to the map. I have 2 new people coming as well so that will give me something to do as well. Is there a time of day it's most active? Weekend?

Also, what is the command to change the map while playing on the bottom left from the 3d map into a map that shows the entire map layout
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

yup, weekends and evenings (u.s.a. eastern time).

r toggles map.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
G-Ram39
Scrap

Post by G-Ram39 »

There are often question marks under ping and players from my view and the "latest patch" room is actually red I'm guessing that's normal.
G-Ram39
Scrap

Post by G-Ram39 »

Thanks just figured it out. Haven't bend able to get into a game with anyone as of yet but have created strats and just played along a bit. It's quite a bit different than bz1
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

There are often question marks under ping and players from my view and the "latest patch" room is actually red I'm guessing that's normal.
I recommend you read the nettips.rtf file installed to the same directory as the 1.3.6.4+ patch. It'll answer a bunch of your questions. The ??? comes from the server hosting from behind a NAT. Only basic info is available about the session; you would have to join to know more.

The latest patch session (only AOL calls things "rooms" and the less of that nonsense we have, the better) is not joinable, and always red.

As before, please check the BZ2 version installed by looking at the bottom-left of the initial pilot selection ("login") screen. Make sure it says 1.3.6.4z19. If not, make sure you installed 1.3.6.4-full then the 1.3.6.4z19 sub-build.

-- GSH
G-Ram39
Scrap

Post by G-Ram39 »

Ive got quite a few games in. I brought in a few other friends. Having a good time, its different than Bz1 but good in a unique way. Now my only issue being able to host games. I think it's to do with my router
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Yeah, his games give me NetNag Error when I try to join them. Maybe if he forwards ports it'll work?
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

Forwarding ports should solve most issues, though I think the latest versions of the 1.3 patch should have UPnP maybe, but that can also depend if the router has such a setting, and if it does, if its on or not. I leave mine off though, have no need for it.
If you happen to be looking through my posts, I have completely dumped all things related to Battlezone. Do not contact me, do not bother me. Been harassed enough as it is and am done entirely.