1.3.6.5 Public Beta

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Red Devil
Recycler

Re: 1.3.6.5 Public Beta

Post by Red Devil »

a commenter tipped me off about using usb 3.0 vs. usb 2.0 connection to improve my input...
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

I couldn't see USB 3.0 making a difference for input as input isn't bandwidth intensive.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZPRYgJ2Mvc
What this video is showing is the actuality of a connection suffering packet loss. In previous versions the client would not have been very aware of it, except for the complaints of other players and the host about his warping or lag. In previous versions the solution would have been for the host to KICK the client out of the game. Now the lag effects and the solution are in the lap of the client suffering from the packet loss...If a game plays like that...you should /quit.
No amount of bz2 tweaking will stop MrNoobs little sisters from bolloxing his bz2 game server/client by playing My little pony DM online over the family lan at the same time. If you want to host a good bz2 server (or client), just disconnect all of the other computers from your router.
A router allocates it's bandwidth to the computers connected to it, if there are 4 of them then you are only left with 1/4 of the bandwidth available on your connection. If you have 4 computers connected and 4 ipads connected by wi fi as well, then the chances of you ever getting a good enough connection to host are becoming remote even if you have a super fast connection.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

MTS- that's what happens when your local router is on its default policy of "network neutrality." It doesn't discriminate, so game packets are thrown in the same mix as downloads, streaming, etc. If other people on your network are chewing up bandwidth, game performance suffers from neutrality.

Whatever your feelings are about network neutrality for the internet as a whole, if you're in charge of a router, then you owe it to yourself and others to research how to use its capabilities to (re)prioritize data. Large downloads (e.g. steam, etc) should be sent to the bottom of the queue in case of any contention. Go download the router's manual, and/or google for "QOS" (quality of service) and your router's name, e.g. googling for "TL-WR841N qos". (And no, that's not the router I own. Just looked up the #1 seller on amazon.com to use as an example)

BZ2 network traffic should be on UDP, either to or from port 17770. Put that ahead of TCP to/from port 80 (i.e. most traffic to http://... sites).

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Battlezone2 Is set to a high QOS priority on my router. :)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Commando wrote:I couldn't see USB 3.0 making a difference for input as input isn't bandwidth intensive.
edit: he suggested i check that my kb and mouse are hooked up to a usb 3.0 port, which allowed it to be recognized during boot; faster, too, especially since laser mouse was/is plugged into 3.0 port on kb.

when i had it plugged into the usb 2.0 port, i would have to press a key 3 times in order to get it to start typing in my initial windows login dialog; now it responds immediately. 8-)
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Sounds like that USB port is having issues.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Been having some strange problems when tabbing back into the editor after alt-tabbing out for a minute or two. Many messages about lag and all world simulation stops, similar to being stuck waiting for gamestate. Can't move around in world due to all simulation being frozen, but can still place objects in the editor, move my viewport around (by moving my ship in the editor) and save the map.

Might it have something to do with the map using a custom DLL?
Last edited by Zero Angel on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

I've seen that happen to me once, was weird.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****