Comparing the patches

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Feared_1
Sabre

Comparing the patches

Post by Feared_1 »

This is a video Cloaket created and wished to share with you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BFEQ7I5q-c
This is where my signature picture would normally be. It is not, as you can see.
You're wasting your time reading this. :)
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Comparing the patches

Post by General BlackDragon »

A lot of that is DX6 / DX9 differences, though the Plasma light can be restored in the ODF.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Yeah, If my memory is correct, the plasma light was changed because GH complained of FPS hits due to plasma rounds.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Considering he isn't even active in the community, I don't see a reason to not restore the behavior.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

has my vote :D

The game's undergone several optimizations since then, im sure the light doesn't hurt anything now.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

That all you got? Private testers are up to near 800 bugzilla entries, and ~2200+ mantis entries before that. Got a long way to go before you reach 1% of their output.

Mods are free to restore lights. But, proper lighting would require shaders and a big rewrite.

Audio was fully 3d with doppler, etc on 1.3 until Microsoft knifed DirectSound3D in the back with Vista. On an XP box with DirectSound3D devices, it probably sounds the best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux+WINE community has better support than Windows now.

Considering how little actual "help" the perpetrator of this video has been, he can go pound sand. Ken and I have done a lot of work improving things. Recording a video of bugs, well, anyone with a pulse can do that. He and his "friends" can go play older BZ2 patches any day they want. Just that cheats are so prevalent in 1.2 that you better trust the other players to not cheat. I wouldn't trust the reporter any farther than I could spit. I recommend everyone else do the same.

-- GSH
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Vearie's actually been pretty good the past couple years.
Mr_Scorpion
Drunken Constructor

Post by Mr_Scorpion »

So you may not even CONSIDER fixing these bugs just because you don't like Vearie and his "friends"?
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Fixing the graphics bugs requires work and breaking compatibility with crap video cards. I would love to see shaders implemented, but dont see that happening.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Vearie suggested adding NoShadow = true to ibnav and tepool.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

I would love to see shaders added, especially for lights as dx9 lights look like crap.

Mw4 had buggy looking terrain lighting too, which i believe was also dx9.
Feared_1
Sabre

Post by Feared_1 »

GSH wrote:That all you got? Private testers are up to near 800 bugzilla entries, and ~2200+ mantis entries before that. Got a long way to go before you reach 1% of their output.

Mods are free to restore lights. But, proper lighting would require shaders and a big rewrite.

Audio was fully 3d with doppler, etc on 1.3 until Microsoft knifed DirectSound3D in the back with Vista. On an XP box with DirectSound3D devices, it probably sounds the best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux+WINE community has better support than Windows now.

Considering how little actual "help" the perpetrator of this video has been, he can go pound sand. Ken and I have done a lot of work improving things. Recording a video of bugs, well, anyone with a pulse can do that. He and his "friends" can go play older BZ2 patches any day they want. Just that cheats are so prevalent in 1.2 that you better trust the other players to not cheat. I wouldn't trust the reporter any farther than I could spit. I recommend everyone else do the same.

-- GSH
For someone who has previously suggested that Cloaket do exactly as he just did (made this video), I find this post to be very ironic.
This is where my signature picture would normally be. It is not, as you can see.
You're wasting your time reading this. :)
Mr_Scorpion
Drunken Constructor

Post by Mr_Scorpion »

I don't like being one to give "orders" but something that you really ought to fix is the Dome Lighting and Terrain Rendering bugs (not to mention reflections being ****). As the ones we have currently are corrupted to hell, and makes the game look bad.

Which I assume is not your intent with your patches, do make the game unnecessarily **** looking for us players?
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

Fixing the graphics bugs is easier said than done. It doesn't help that next to noone tests to report said bugs.
Mr_Scorpion
Drunken Constructor

Post by Mr_Scorpion »

I'll gladly help with testing should you attempt to fix these bugs.