Post by Cyber »

hey guys,

before... 2months I got a new computer, here a few facts of it

Win7 32 bit
4GB ram
1TB hard disk
HD Screen
GForce GT330M (512MB)

In gameplay all units are warping... more wiggle or twitch.
I tried out different screen resolutions, made settings high and low, but nothing seems helping excepting change this in localprefs

// Ability to tweak how remote craft are smoothed onscreen. Valid
// values are -1 .. 4; adjustable ingame with game.smoothcodepath :
//
// -1: 1.3 Optional - shows raw data, no smoothing (remote humans + bots)
// 0: 1.3 default
// 1: 1.2 code (fixed max speed, will be very warpy if craft exceeds it) [REMOTE HUMANS ONLY]
// 2: 1.2 code, but uses max speed from craft's ODF [REMOTE HUMANS ONLY]
// 3: 1.2 code (fixed max speed, will be very warpy if craft exceeds it) [REMOTE HUMANS + BOTS]
// 4: 1.2 code, but uses max speed from craft's ODF [REMOTE HUMANS + BOTS]
//
SmoothCodePath = 4

But then its ghosting like in 1.2 :/

What could be the problem?
Cyber
Sabre

Re: An warpy issue...

Post by Cyber »

Here a video where you can see it:

of course, it seems not dramatic but in Dogfighting its really horrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsE_6fpcg8
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Thank you for your input. :) Do not take the lack of a detailed response to mean the dev team don't care about it, we do.
It would be nice, if you good folks, could reports such things promptly soon after the release of a beta :) That is what beta releases are for, to allow the wider community to find stuff that is not always so easy to define in a much smaller group.

While I will not comment on that particular issue, I will give this piece of advice to all bz2 players, remove your fans to clean your heat sinks! My fps mysteriously dropped recently making everything go rather horrible, I discovered eventually that my main processor fan had completely sealed the top of my heat sink with fluff, no air was circulating around my processor, it was getting hot and my fps was dropping to around 30, after a good clean, BZ2 once again runs at around 100-500 fps :)
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

MrTwosheds wrote: ... the top of my heat sink with fluff, no air was circulating around my processor, it was getting hot and my fps was dropping to around 30, after a good clean, BZ2 once again runs at around 100-500 ...
Well, that can't be the problem ;)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

If you don't open your computer regularly, do so now and you'll see that it might be - be careful not to choke on the dust.
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

it-is-a-cleaned-and-new-computer

;)
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

To be honest, im not overly sure what the purpose of having those flags is. GSH will be able to comment further on it.

I'm inferring a bit here so don't take this to the bank, but i think im in the right ball park...

Basically in MP the host recieves constant 'packets' of info from the clients updating them as to where their current position, direction, chosen weapon is, wether they are firing ordnance etc. The host is sending a lot more data out to the clients to ensure everone is looking at the same thing. Obviously its impossible to have a completely consistent update with no packet loss etc, so the clients 'smooth' out the raw data given to them. It means you're always a fraction of a second behind, as your instance of the game needs to smooth the crafts movement between two points. This is done constantly.

I guess the flag just restores old (and much more buggy and inconsistent) 1.2 behaviour. Its best to just leave that flag alone, you get the best results that way.

Probably a fairly useless post, but if i were you I'd leave that flag as the default 1.3 setting :)
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

Yes, think so too.

But I really want to fix that its not shaking like that :S
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

@TJ check messages pls
FallenAngel
Drunken Constructor

Post by FallenAngel »

What in-game graphic's settings do you have enabled?
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

Nothing special:

Particle Detail: High
Object Detail: High
Props: High
Shadows: Low
EMBM Bumpmaps: Off

Screen Res.: 800x600
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Personally I think you should quit wasting your time trying to do something about it, If your talking about what I think your talking about, (Its not entirely clear from the video) it happens to everyone in pb6...Its particularly awful when someone blinks at you.
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

Its now waste of time.

Y'all are calling this a "small problem" no "real bad problem".

But of course! iIT IS A BIG Problem. Its horrible in Dogfight. And its terrible for the eyes to play with it!

And please- stop wasting the time with useless comments and just say (if you know!) the problem, what it MAY could be or how to fix it.

I was *NOT* opening this topic just for fun - if you think I got no hobbies yes I got some. I opened it because of I thought its better to ask the experts of it but actually I am disappointed.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

We do know...I am telling you not to bother because you cannot fix it in PB6. :)
We don't discuss testing/development much outside the test group, due to the hostile attitudes of some people. Giving them food so they can turn it into dung to throw back at us, is just not a good way to do things.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

MrTwosheds wrote:We do know...I am telling you not to bother because you cannot fix it in PB6. :)
We don't discuss testing/development much outside the test group, due to the hostile attitudes of some people. Giving them food so they can turn it into dung to throw back at us, is just not a good way to do things.
I spent ages trying to word that post right, and in the end he just beats me to it... :x