Battlezone II v1.3.6.1 Public Beta released

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Warfreak
Rattler

Re: Battlezone II v1.3.6.1 Public Beta released

Post by Warfreak »

index wrote: if it doesnt take too much time?
Oh it does. Part of why I never requested the new access privileges to the private beta after BZU went down is because it takes time. Time that I usually don't have to dedicate which is why I decided to keep myself off the beta team. Given that there are only 4 people on at most at any given time and that the only logical gamemode to play with so little people on is MPI (Strat would be nice, but what really needs testing is 4v4 as MPI tests already tell us that 4 players can be supported properly on a server with no problems).

Given the lack of people on and the conflicting schedules / timezones you really have to have as much time available as possible in order to help in the most efficient way possible.

[Edit] Vearie I really hope your psychological disposition is making all the crap you think up very enjoyable to you because all in all its not even helpful or worth typing if you actually had a functional thought process. Adding to the problem never helps and according to you it actually does because according to you when you spew utter **** problems get fixed or else you wouldn't have bothered.

Yes, I also think it was stupid that most if not all the testing I did was using a recycler variant in MPI but you know what, at least it stabilized a 4 player game when even THAT caused massive host problems.

Also what are you, 14? Half the people here have been here long enough to notice that squabbles about stupid patch differences (None of which are official mind you, so in the eyes of the people who actually keep tabs of their product none of this means squat) are a waste of time and all in all keep the, what, 15 out of 100 players left who actually keep themselves restricted by their nonsensical bias out of the way to shout random crap while the rest of us try to grasp onto what is left of this old game and keep it alive through some playing and, for some, modding to keep that game they played 10+ years ago alive.

If you hate the patch and this forum so much why don't you just delete the damn thing and leave this section of the internet and never return. As a matter of fact I wouldn't be sorry if none of us ever heard from you. Forget past transgressions, you just haven't been much of a joy to have sitting around here talking crap about everything posted except to maybe the 3 other people who think just like you around here.

Lastly, if you even bothered to read this and go on to quote any of this to disprove a "point", they aren't points but facts and anything you say about my words or me will not get a response because I don't care. I don't have the time or effort to continue with this particular thread.
BLARGHER
Sober Scav

Post by BLARGHER »

Jesus! The hate over this game is crazy. Sure, some people like 1.2 and others like 1.3, but really? I'm not going claim either side is right, so just be thankful this game still exists.

BTW vearie, remember me? My youtube account, jcboaaa?
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Is this what everyone is playing now, or is PB6 still the one?
Also, which has less bugs?

Another thing (GSH I respect you, but this is my opinion)
Why? PB6 was nice. There was no real reason for another patch.
Updates can be cool, but usually they're repetitive and soon get unnecessary.
PB6.1 is useless. I'll probably download it, but please listen to my words.
PB6 was not perfect, but was good enough to be the last.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

hi guys :-)

glad to see the passion is still here, there, and everywhere ;)

having just had a new baby (hmmm, not possible to have an old baby, is it.. :-D ), plus a 2 year old pillaging the place, plus considerable work and life duties, GSH's time has been severely limited over the past few years.

that being the case, patches are mostly created to fix bugs reported in the bug database by testers. Mantis was the main database, but then Wz abruptly bolted, killing and burning Mantis and BZU in the process. all the old bugs and savegames used for fixing bugs were lost.

so, hmmmmm, what to do.... GSH then took it upon himself amidst all this to create a new bzu and a new bug database.

not having much time to spend on things and the patch being mostly stable (probably still some bugs flying about in it), the decision was made to publish 6.1 in hopes that the public could help in finding and narrowing down any bugs they come across.

i think people expect patches to be perfect right out of the gate. i used to think that, too.

pitch in and submit good, detailed, procedural bug reports and it will get better. 8-)
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I never expect patches to be perfect.
I just want people to stick with one that's agreeably good.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

players just want to play. noted.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i just entered a strat (5th out of 6 players) and just spectated and things were very smooth for me and others. they said things get wonky sometimes when a 6th player joins.

i'll be joining more strats (as a spectator) to see if i can experience any of the lag/warp lagouts people have been noting.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Vearie wrote:Most of the "beta testers" NEVER even really played the game before, and did nothing but mod, but don't even do any of that anymore, infact people like squirrel who never even modded, or played, but just posted on the forums as a substitute for a social life were givin powers, which are and will be endlessly abused, even at GSH's knowledge as long as it's used against strat players.

There is no point trying to fix this for another failure MPI-Mod 6 or 8 months from now. When I got 1.3 I knew it was ridiculous after seeing these "recycler variants" with their new threed/bz2me model ships and 300m high-damage slug cannons, this one which isn't even playable for testing is just a complete joke though.

There is no point in telling somebody that surrounds himself with idiots as his admins/mods/testers though, some people have such a big ego they literally cannot be convinced they are wrong about anything, ever.

BZ2 would be thriving if 1.3 never came, infact it was just around TA5 that 1.2 became the minority, modders can shut up about this, they don't have the tinniest rabbit-**** clue what I'm talking about rather they think they do or not, they shouldn't even be here.
On top of all this, the new theme for this forum sucks.
Cool story

want some cheese with that?
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

The lag seems to only occur during/shortly after/for a few minutes after a player joins.

How about when pause join is on?
darkwarrior
Drunken Constructor

Post by darkwarrior »

Baconboy wrote:Is this what everyone is playing now, or is PB6 still the one?
Also, which has less bugs?

Another thing (GSH I respect you, but this is my opinion)
Why? PB6 was nice. There was no real reason for another patch.
Updates can be cool, but usually they're repetitive and soon get unnecessary.
PB6.1 is useless. I'll probably download it, but please listen to my words.
PB6 was not perfect, but was good enough to be the last.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yes BaconBoy, I do like your logic, however, as my own opinion, I thought PB 5.1 was among the most stable for gameplay and netcoding. I found that dogfighting against AI or players was perfect and that the game ran smoothly. There were no issues of getting timedout when joining a session and European players and North American players did not whine about hosts. The only issues with 5.1, was that there was a specific AV that was abused, and the fact that not everyone could host. As soon as Qr2 was introduced, netcode was modified, but it seriously damaged gameplay in PVP (player-vs-player)and PVC (Player-Vs-Computer). Even with the fixes to warp in lag in 6.1, I can still make the same videos I introduced and I can reproduce the same warp. It does not occur as much as 6.0, but it is still there and is annoying. Out of respect GSH, and I know you work hard and your time is limited, but they warp (of which I have described in the past is still there.) I do not say anything as I know it angers you when you spend hours trying to fix it and someone tells you it isn't fixed.

Another that is annoying is that for some reason ping actually does what it is suppose to do in 6.0 -6.1, it lags you more when it is higher. European host, with American players is brutal. I do not know how you did it in 5.1, but it just seemed that there was some sort of Ping-compensation, as I could play against German hosts, with 300 ms ping, and it would feel like I was still playing on a lan.

I know 6.0 was rushed because of the Qr1 crysis, but qr1 has returned, and I think that we should stick with the old perfectly working 5.1 netcode and build off of it, or at least allow 5.1's netcode to govern Qr2, I am not sure how it works exactly, but this is just my opinion. Netcode was perfect in 5.1. Only fixes needed where the AV griefs, limited hosting ability, some rare crashes, out of map archers, and when a player was oddly lagged out.

I came to 1.3 because of 5.1, as it was just so nice and smooth. It was like what 1.2 was suppose to be, except with no hovering (not complaining). Anyways my opinion has been shared, lets see where this leads.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Another point:
All these mods made for PB6 can't be played anymore correct?
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Mostly they should be fine I think, there have not been many changes of the sort that would effect mods greatly.
Let us know if you find problems.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

I can think of 161 reasons PB6.1 was needed.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Ok.
Tell us them.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

I agree completely with MTS and even though I hate to say it, I agree with Vearie too.

I would chime in further, but I've beaten that horse to death long enough. The Admin thing I found hard to swallow too.