IPv6

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Dataanti
Thunderbolt

IPv6

Post by Dataanti »

Is Battlezone 2 ready for the transition? If it is not, I'm thinking now would be a good time to look into it. Start working on it now and iron out the problems before the switch, so you won't have to fix problems while the majority is using it.

I'm sure it's not gonna be much of a change. I think it should be able to do both IPv4 and IPv6.
TwinShadow
Sabre

Re: IPv6

Post by TwinShadow »

I don't know how many people are using IPv6 in the states. I know some EU countries have already rolled it out, and there's only a handful of ISP's in the states that even support it. Wait, there's barely any ISP's left in the US. XD

Regardless, I don't believe this should be on the priority, yet. Maybe within the next couple revisions perhaps. Though, I would think this is more to do with GameSpy than BZ2, but I could be wrong, Nathan knows best. Or perhaps someone else.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

It's all up to Gamespy. Current code I have from them is ipv4 only.

And, ipv6 is a bad crock, simply because their "migration" plan was to make everyone rewrite all their software. See http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/ipv6mess.html for comments written 8+ years ago that are still quite valid. It's one thing if various patches of BZ2 can't play with each other. It's a much bigger thing to make everyone rewrite all internet apps to play with each other.

-- GSH
Dataanti
Thunderbolt

Post by Dataanti »

GSH wrote:It's all up to Gamespy. Current code I have from them is ipv4 only.

And, ipv6 is a bad crock, simply because their "migration" plan was to make everyone rewrite all their software. See http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/ipv6mess.html for comments written 8+ years ago that are still quite valid. It's one thing if various patches of BZ2 can't play with each other. It's a much bigger thing to make everyone rewrite all internet apps to play with each other.

-- GSH
Different patches already can't play with each other. But it is not all Gamespy is it? Doesn't the ban system work with only IPv4 at the moment, and what about the space that shows the host of the matches IP address in the MP menu, is it wide enough? That's the sort of think I was talking about.

I thought IPv4 will not be going away after IPv6, I thought they could co-exist with each other. And eventually it's gonna happen either way, I just thought it is best to be prepared.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

GSH wrote:It's one thing if various patches of BZ2 can't play with each other. It's a much bigger thing to make everyone rewrite all internet apps to play with each other.
Read that again, Dat.
Dataanti
Thunderbolt

Post by Dataanti »

AHadley wrote:
GSH wrote:It's one thing if various patches of BZ2 can't play with each other. It's a much bigger thing to make everyone rewrite all internet apps to play with each other.
Read that again, Dat.

*Puts on spectacles*

Oh.... I see :P. Well still, programs get updates, it's like when a program was for windows XP and did not work in windows Vista or 7, OH NO! they have to re program bits and peaces to make it compatible. Really, I don't think it's gonna be that big of a problem, most applications only check for updates over the internet, and like I said in the post above, isn't it possible for IPv6 and IPv4 to co-exist, I remember talking to ARIN on the phone recently about getting a class A IP address and I am certain they said the free pool is out for IPv4 but the IPv6 still has some left, so I asked about that and they said that it is already compatible. And did you know that websites (Facebook, Google, where 2 of them) have switched to IPv6 on June 7th or 17nth, I can't remember witch one but it only happened on that day as a test, and know body noticed a thing except for a few apps had problems loading on Facebook. So I'm sure IPv4 will stay and older programs will still work fine, it would just need an update to add IPv6 to them, not get rid of IPv4.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

We have run out of unallocated ipv4 addresses. Of course, many are not in use because the ISPs are whom bought them all for future customer prospects.