New test build (89k) that might reduce lagouts

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

GSH
Patch Creator

New test build (89k) that might reduce lagouts

Post by GSH »

I've got a test build that seems to reduce lagouts on joins when tested in private. Thanks to all those that tested 89d/89e/89h and submitted logfiles/videos.

Changes since b89h, the previous public test build, in more 'human' terms:
- Collisions involving local or remote users should be applied more evenly, and attempts to replay collisions on remote user craft while resimulating. This might reduce warp after collision.
- Back to the blink data files of 1.0-1.3pb6
- MP escape screen player list has a scrollbar
- banlist.ini applies to server view too

Download links:
A) Logging build. If you're going to try and help, download this. Note: this will create files in your 'Logs' folder (Vista/Win7: in $MyDocs/My Games/Battlezone II/Logs; XP, in $InstallDir/Logs). A file per run, sometimes big. Watch your HD space used by this; if you can't dedicate a few dozen MB, then delete logs after successful games.

Notes:
1) This is a .7z file. If you can't install/run 7-zip, please don't bother.
2) This is NOT network-compatible w/ any other BZ2 patch. Including 1.3.6.1. Including b89d, and b89e the previous public tests. It can only play multiplayer with other 89k builds.
3) It is best to use Windows Explorer to copy/paste your 1.3.6.1 install folder (all of it). Then unpack one of the builds above into that install folder. If you don't replace some files (e.g. bzone.exe, etc), you're doing it wrong. Also, this will let you switch between 1.3.6.1 and 89k.
4) Users are NOT prompted to get this build, unlike 1.3.6 -> 1.3.6.1.

If tests show an improvement, I *might* make a 1.3.6.2 release that includes these changes. That all depends on what results from this test build.

-- GSH
Axeminister
Sabre

Re: New test build (89k) that might reduce lagouts

Post by Axeminister »

We played some good games with this yesterday. A stock DM where we tested the blink a bunch, without any anomalies and a G66 game without any problems. All the joiners were from USA (Red Devil and TNT). I'll try to get some of my friends from England and Austria to join here soon.
Cyber
Sabre

Post by Cyber »

Good thing to make this test-builds.
And good to see that quick blinking is back.
And very good to have a scrollbar for the ESC Screen ;)
GreenGuy
Rattler

Post by GreenGuy »

I have a suggestion, can you make it possible to toggle ambient sounds on or off? That would be nice.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

You remind me. Soundcubes should be used more.
darkwarrior
Drunken Constructor

Post by darkwarrior »

I could be wrong, but can't you disable ambient sounds through sound channels in the sound settings.
GreenGuy
Rattler

Post by GreenGuy »

Nope.