Is there a cap on how many .ogg files can play at once?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Is there a cap on how many .ogg files can play at once?

Post by TheJamsh »

I remember reading somewhere in the changelog that there was a maximum amount of .ogg files that can be played at once, is that correct?

Some 8,000 (Not kidding) sound effects in my library i've built up are all in .ogg format, converting them to .wav will take forever, but neccesary if there is a channel limit on .oggs

Hopefully i'm babbling
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: Is there a cap on how many .ogg files can play at once?

Post by GSH »

Limit is 8 simultaneous .ogg files being played. Also, stereo oggs don't really work as 3D sounds. Also, given the overhead of starting/stopping the ogg decompresser, I'd recommend that .ogg sounds played by BZ2 be at least 3-4 seconds long. Using .oggs for weapon firing sounds (e.g. the kachunk of mortar launches) is not recommended at all.

For batch conversions, start looking at commandline programs. Try a list at http://directory.fsf.org/category/ogg/ . Something like http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggdec.php .

-- GSH
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Ah that rings a bell... In that case i'll have to convert them. That batch file convertor you just linked me is ideal, a nice quick drag-and-drop program.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

GSH wrote:Limit is 8 simultaneous .ogg files being played. Also, stereo oggs don't really work as 3D sounds. Also, given the overhead of starting/stopping the ogg decompresser, I'd recommend that .ogg sounds played by BZ2 be at least 3-4 seconds long. Using .oggs for weapon firing sounds (e.g. the kachunk of mortar launches) is not recommended at all.

For batch conversions, start looking at commandline programs. Try a list at http://directory.fsf.org/category/ogg/ . Something like http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggdec.php .

-- GSH
"Kachunk?"

Were you also a BZ2 foley artist :mrgreen:
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Nope. I did update the BZ2 audio system to DirectSound8 and added .ogg playback, but haven't had anything to do with the recordings of any sfx/music/whatever. Same w/ updating to DirectX9 gfx -- only code, nothing to do w/ any art creation.

-- GSH
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

GSH wrote:Nope. I did update the BZ2 audio system to DirectSound8 and added .ogg playback, but haven't had anything to do with the recordings of any sfx/music/whatever. Same w/ updating to DirectX9 gfx -- only code, nothing to do w/ any art creation.

-- GSH
You could've said you were lead sound designer and I would not have known the difference. Like the honesty though.

Who would've known Microsoft would completely turn their backs on DSound? It frustrates to no end, since I did quite enjoy the 3D sound.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Just feel the need to say it - CJ Chico did some really fantastic work on this game.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Carey only did music. He didn't do sfx. We outsourced that.

-- GSH
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

In which case, he is a fantastic composer.

EDIT: I've been meaning to ask somebody this for a while. Is there some library of sound effects that games developers use? There's this one sound effect I seem to hear everywhere, which I first heard as an explosion in Recoil. Can't remember where else it came up now...
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

There are libraries of royalty free sound effects out there. That doesn't mean completely free -- sound designers usually pay once for the samples, then they can use them as many times as desired after that. Google around.

-- GSH