Where to Start

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

BZSubmaximal
Scrap

Where to Start

Post by BZSubmaximal »

Some of you(If you really have played BZ 1 or BZ 2 long long ago) May remember me...My nickname here is of a more recent vintage..but some of you may have known me in my days as well..go far enough back and I was/is...wargod....But enough nostalgia...

For now I am asking of all you new generation BZers..(and a few old dogs like myself)...where do I start if I want to Fire up BZ 1 Patch it up with some of Kens magic and even GSH's still commendable commitment to this old beauty of a game,

Start me from..:

Step 1, Open CD case
Step 2; insert CD into win 7 64 bit machine and....

End with,

Go to sleep at 4 am after having enjoyed a rebirth of 4 hours of online strat games, like the time you did almost 14 years ago after buying your 1st PC with a Voodoo 12 mg card and a Battlzone 1 CD
Apollo
Sabre

Re: Where to Start

Post by Apollo »

Hmm.. i'm trying to remember your name before wargod.

Get Ken's 1.5 mod @ http://www.videoventure.org/
ps hand holding not included
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Installing from the disk may require using a setup file other than the launcher, I can't remember. Activision had a thing for 16-bit launchers in the late 90s. Other than that, installing from disk should work smoothly.

The 1.5 patch can then be installed on top of that quite easily and all should work with little to no tweaking.
Footissimo
Scrap

Post by Footissimo »

Hello Submaximal...your name does ring a bell!

Kinda put the steps in the more info section of this video. I can't test it on 7, but I'm told that this should work OK.

Kinda waiting for a (more) unified patch for 1.5

Hope that helps.
BZSubmaximal
Scrap

Post by BZSubmaximal »

I was provided a link to a unified patch by another board member here. The original CD install protested several times on my win 7 64 bit..but inspite of its "You can't do this here" objections as it installed, 10 minutes later it was all installed. The unified patch then was dbl clicked and installed perfectly.

5 minutes later I was in a collesium game...to see my 1st review...see my next post...Ecstasy..and agony.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

BZSubmaximal wrote:I was provided a link to a unified patch by another board member here. The original CD install protested several times on my win 7 64 bit..but inspite of its "You can't do this here" objections as it installed, 10 minutes later it was all installed. The unified patch then was dbl clicked and installed perfectly.

5 minutes later I was in a collesium game...to see my 1st review...see my next post...Ecstasy..and agony.
Assuming it's the one I think it is, AVOID that installer. Various reasons, including as-yet-unchecked file tampering and server restriction.
BZSubmaximal
Scrap

Post by BZSubmaximal »

I got aout of the business of posting board politics long ago from the previous world of BZ...I am not endorsing or disparaging the "unified" patch I was provided..It did seem to work just fine and as for "file tampering"...God I haven't played BZ 1 in 5-6 years...I just plugged it in and things seem to work...I wouldn't know a tampered file from a widget
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

The people that run that server has a way to cheat, the more things change, the more they stay the same.