BZ's Mag Arena

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: BZ's Mag Arena

Post by General BlackDragon »

It's not hard to keep up with builds.

You just go install the newest one whenever u wanna play.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Of COURSE that's easy to say for those here that know the situation.

BZE had only five or so builds, and I heard complaints about that. I can only imagine how many left BZ for good because they dropped in for a game to find paco's half dozen or more bots not responding to any questions and getting a constant 'Version Mismatch' EVEN with the newest build because someone made a game with who knows which version.

Anyone who believes 170 builds in 30 months is a wise move for a dying community, I don't really want to hear their insight.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Nielk1 wrote:Meanwhile, I'm banned from the servers/sites of the 'alcoholic hackers of old with delusions of grandeur'. Just goes to show how ignorant you are. Stop being indignant and look at the damn truth here, I don't follow you, or your enemies. Deal with it.

EDIT: Oh, and I posted a short bit above, of course, you won't agree with it, because after all, its the truth, not your fantasy.
Nothing you said is based on truth but merely hearsay.

The alcoholic's server is long gone so how can you be banned from it. You can't even follow the context of what you are trying to talk about because you simply don't know. I have no enemies, i'm not at war, i play a game online and keep up a forum.

Why do you talk about a game soo much that you don't play?
All your ranting aside, can you do anything positive for the game?
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Firestorm29 wrote:The thing that scares me greatly is how easy it can be fake who you are with IP addresses. I consider it very lucky that knowledge hasn't come into the BZ community yet.
Assman and Spork i've saw on private IP's in the lobby.
Assman said it's a router hack but the fw can still show the real IPs.

The game is much more secure than it used tobe, that alone makes it better.
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Anyone who believes 170 builds in 30 months is a wise move for a dying community, I don't really want to hear their insight.
This is called software development. There isn't another way to do it. If you don't like it, don't look and then don't complain about the end result.
We have the same problem in BZ2, users crying about new patches, and they don't even get to see a lot of the test releases.
The one thing all of the whingers have in common is that they want it to be perfect without having to put any effort into getting it there themselves.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Frankly, with a community like BZ1 has, I'm not suprised Ken hasn't created a private test group. I personally wouldn't trust any of you with a development build of anything. :P
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

MrTwosheds wrote:This is called software development. There isn't another way to do it. If you don't like it, don't look and then don't complain about the end result.
We have the same problem in BZ2, users crying about new patches, and they don't even get to see a lot of the test releases.
The one thing all of the whingers have in common is that they want it to be perfect without having to put any effort into getting it there themselves.
Not sure where you read I complained about results. I guess you distilled it from; "As to BZ1.5, I have no major issue with it"

Auto-patching, like steam, is one thing. Putting that manual burden on the general gamer is quite another. But sure, since BZ1.5 is free, I suppose endless builds is part of the price. However, it was a price I found ridiculous three months in. I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do with my experience with BZE two or three years before, which I find superior in most aspects . . . with 3% the builds.

I can only imagine telling my clients to quit crying after 5 re-submissions, let alone 170. :lol:
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

1.5 is still in development, in testing. If you're playing it, you're a tester. Testers don't get to complain about the frequency of the builds.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

AHadley wrote:Testers don't get to complain about the frequency of the builds.
So you've got the tester police on my trail? No worries, please tell them I quit testing a good while ago. :lol: :roll:
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

That's just how software testing works.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

AHadley wrote:That's just how software testing works.
You're right, we're seeing a great side benefit of being free. One can claim "testing" indefinitely.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Apollo wrote:Why do you talk about a game soo much that you don't play?
Another funny as hell statement.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Not sure where you read I complained about results.
I didn't. I have never played bz1 online. I have no idea what you are all arguing about or why. This thread is mostly a complete mystery to me. But I do understand what Ken is doing, having been employed as software tester for 12 years, some time ago now, I know quite a lot about how software development processes work. As the player base for bz1 is small, there is little point doing private builds as it can only make the test group smaller and less effective.
By contrast, in BZ2 we have to have a private test group because a very small minority of the players are a totally disruptive bunch of retards who have fought against its development for years. They do this because they have no understanding of the development process and see every little alteration as a personal attack. By effectively excluding themselves they have removed any influence over its development they might have otherwise had. But they still play it and moan like hell when one little bit or other isn't quite how they would like it to be.
So I was just advising you to not be like them. :) Understand Kens position, he cannot test everything himself, he needs the input of those who love the game to make it right, if he only gives you the chance to do that every 30 builds or so, the bugs multiply, finding their root causes and fixing them becomes very much harder to do, the amount of work he has to do increases and the quality of the end result is lower.
More release's = a better quality end result.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Nielk1 wrote:
Apollo wrote:Why do you talk about a game soo much that you don't play?
Another funny as hell statement.
Those are questions not statements.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Software development processes are normally done by empolyees where the business is making the decisions as to what changes, doing the testing, QA and the consumer pays for product.

When you are making changes to software you have no right to, it's understandable that you are going to alienate part of the public that didn't want their game changed. Consumers want it done right, they don't want warez and they want it near perfect because they paid for it.