TRO Working with 1.5 installed?

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

BabyOfficer
Scrap

TRO Working with 1.5 installed?

Post by BabyOfficer »

Hey,

I'm back playing after a few years out. (Usual story, realised that the other forum was an Orwellian Nightmare, said something which was a bit too individualistic for a certain Star Trek fan and got banned, and gave it up.) I have 1.5 working fine, and Oh My God. Ken Miller you rock. Hard. Most of all I love the new AI, I'm having to completely rediscover how to play now that the enemy can actually hit me.

But what I would like to do is play The Red Odyssey again. I have the installer. (sadly off Them as I lost my disc.) I can't get it to run properly, it boots up so far then says it is unable to find the required files to play.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Firestorm29
Rattler

Re: TRO Working with 1.5 installed?

Post by Firestorm29 »

I think you need 1.4 for TRO because BZ 1.5 is way different than 1.4...

As far as getting TRO to 1.5, I think there's an issue with not having the source for it.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

TRO won't be patched because it was made by Team Evolve, not Activision, and Team Evolve no longer exists. Ken has the BZ1 source code because he was part of the team that made it.

I have TRO working (XP compatibility, software mode), but I'm using a modified version that installs separately from my copy of BZ1 (which is the latest 1.5 build).
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
BabyOfficer
Scrap

Post by BabyOfficer »

I'm not too bothered about TRO being patched, (It's difficult enough without the new AI, but is my copy of Battlezone being patched to 1.5 having issues with TRO?
Firestorm29
Rattler

Post by Firestorm29 »

It could. TRO was never made to install with 1.5, which made quite a few changes to how the game is structured. If you want TRO, you probably need one of those older BZ installers that had 1.4 with TRO.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Isn't TRO standalone? TRO would not touch BZ1 would it?
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

No TRO is not standalone, it's tied to Bz 1.4.
Activision anet servers for all legacy anet games: Anet Servers
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
BattleZone 1 Community Since 2002
BabyOfficer
Scrap

Post by BabyOfficer »

I think a simple old system restart sorted the file issue. After that all I had was the DEP and Compatibility errors as usual. I forgot how hard it is.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Apollo wrote:No TRO is not standalone, it's tied to Bz 1.4.
/me pops in TRO CD.

OK, it looks like what it does is it looks in your registry to find BZ1, points to it, and makes its own install somewhere else.

Who in their right mind would make an expansion that sits in an *entirely* different install directory but is not stand alone, I will never know.

I tried manually merging the elements from BZ1 that it needs into its install dir, as usually applications check their local folder before checking another location, and now trying to run odyssey.exe I get "Please make sure you have at least 50MB free on your hard drive and that virtual memory is not disabled." I also tried various comparability modes getting other errors. As such, I cannot say if copying the files I did was successful or not. Someone who actually has TRO working try?

EDIT: OK! I got it! It finally worked after telling Windows 7 to automatically apply compatibility settings. Of course, I forgot to delete the mouse cursors, so now those are changed on me, but I can say for a fact that copying the contents of the BZ1 1.4 install directory into TRO's folder without overwriting any files (but yes, overwrite folders, just not the files in them) works. Now someone else can narrow down exactly which files.

So, in other words, if there are any issues getting TRO to work with 1.5, you can merge an old 1.4 install into TRO, changing it into a standalone.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

Just make a zero size bzone.exe and get the 1 or 2 textures TRO needed from the Bz zfs and you can make it standalone.
BattleZone Club (Supporting BattleZone 1.4, The Red Odyssey, BattleZone Enhanced, BattleZone 1.5 and Bionite)
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Apollo wrote:Just make a zero size bzone.exe and get the 1 or 2 textures TRO needed from the Bz zfs and you can make it standalone.
Wait, that is seriously all it needs?
Someone whip up a standalone conversion patch. If the EXE is a dummy the only thing that is 'ehh' is the textures.
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

It been done long ago, installer is at bz club or make your own.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

An installer is not a standalone conversion patch.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Apollo
Sabre

Post by Apollo »

The cracked exe, bzone.exe zeroed out and those textures are thus the making your own part.
Everything is available.