Help to install and patch Battlezone please !

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

MoonMan2
Scrap

Help to install and patch Battlezone please !

Post by MoonMan2 »

Hi,

Am new to the forum, but certainly not new to battlezone.

I have the original game CD and am very excited about playing it again.

However, I am very confused with the amount of patches, addons...etc. I have tried to install and update but keep getting errors. There must be someone out there who knows what they are doing.

Could some kind person give me a step by step guide on how to install Battlezone on Win 7 x64 ?

Would be really appreciated, promise I will be an asset to the community :)
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Re: Help to install and patch Battlezone please !

Post by Ultraken »

Updating a retail install to the latest 1.5.x is currently much harder than it should be. I need to write better instructions for it or better yet make an installer to automate the process.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

And the (now deleted post) has approaches are piracy. Sorry, we don't support them here. The original poster is honorable and has a CD. Start with that.

-- GSH
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Reposting links to piracy after I deleted them is a big no-no around here. I mean it.

The offending user's permissions have been altered.

-- GSH
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

Agh, I meant to work on a explaining how to do a retail to 1.5.x upgrade last night. I also need to streamline it since the process is pretty rough and unfriendly.
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

I've been using the pre-made full installers for so long that I haven't checked the process of updating from 1.0-1.4.

The 1.5.0 page has an all-in-one package for 1.5.0 and instructions for getting things started from a retail install. It's a bit involved but you only have to do it once.
The 1.5.1 page links to files for updating from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1 including the 1.5.1 asset pack, optional 16-bit HQ texture pack, and optional Ogg Vorbis music pack. I need to make an all-in-one package since these aren't going to change much. You'll probably want 1.5.1.17 (not 1.5.1.18) for online multiplayer since that's what players on the battlezone1.net Anet server are currently using.
Finally, the 1.5.2 page has links for updating 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 including the 1.5.2 asset pack. This is a bit of a moving target but an all-in-one package could include at least the stable content. You'll want the latest 1.5.2.x build if you want to play the new Lua-based Instant Action or Multiplayer Instant action maps.

You may want to keep separate installs of 1.5.1.x and 1.5.2.x.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:Relevant and amusing.
Oh.
My.
God.

If that screencap of an email is really his only permission for BzE, BzE is warez...
He asked for permission to make an "asset patch" and then turns around and releases a fully executable game? Does this man not understand the idea that if something itself cannot be used unless applied to the legal copy of the game, it is not piracy, but if it can be used alone, it is?

We already know both sides of that mess release BZ1 full installers (illegal) that are both built to exclude each other's matchmaking servers. That is pretty low to start. But to see such wiggling and worming though the dictionary just to come out on top is disgusting.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Nielk1 wrote:We already know both sides of that mess release BZ1 full installers (illegal) that are both built to exclude each other's matchmaking servers. That is pretty low to start. But to see such wiggling and worming though the dictionary just to come out on top is disgusting.
I dug into this a little more lately and Dx's is actually worse; the BZClub installer's limitation is harcoded. Whether it's a whitelist (only display the 911 server) or a blacklist (never display the bz1.net server) is unclear since there are only two servers up to test it with.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Once again, getting Battlezone 1/2 onto the GOG.com wishlist would do far more to expand the community in a neutral way. And be legal.

-- GSH
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

I already voted. :)
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i posted in wrong thread, removed
Last edited by Red Devil on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Eddy
Rattler

Post by Eddy »

GSH wrote:Once again, getting Battlezone 1/2 onto the GOG.com wishlist would do far more to expand the community in a neutral way. And be legal.

-- GSH
I found BZ1 & BZ2 and voted for them - 1542 & 1421 now.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Hmm, how many votes does it need?
Eddy
Rattler

Post by Eddy »

Not sure but there are many games with 30K+ votes still on the wish list.