WE CAN EJECT INTO THE BASE FROM HERE

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: WE CAN EJECT INTO THE BASE FROM HERE

Post by Ded10c »

Bear in mind movies run at 24fps, you'll find your eye can barely distinguish anything above about 60.
SnakeEye
Rattler

Post by SnakeEye »

Ultraken wrote:FRAPS locks your frame rate while it's recording. It defaults to 30FPS but you can change that in the Movies menu.
yes, I'm aware of that. I downloaded new gpu drivers and a newer version of Fraps and that seemed to have have fixed it, However I'm experience jitter in the sound when i have bz under heavy load.
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

I didn't want to assume. :)

The newest versions of FRAPS seem to have much less impact than before, though the vast amount of data it outputs can put a serious strain on your computer. Based on my test recording, FRAPS writes out about one bype per pixel per frame, which is almost 20MB/s at 640x480 and 60FPS. In essence, your hard drive gets to drink from the fire hose, so it may struggle if its older and slower or its free space is heavily-fragmented. BZ isn't exactly light on its feet, either.
Fulmen
Thunderbolt

Post by Fulmen »

Ultraken wrote:FRAPS locks your frame rate while it's recording. It defaults to 30FPS but you can change that in the Movies menu.
I've set mine to 50. Does it really have an impact on the quality of the recording if the FPS is locked to higher than 30?
Ultraken
Patch Creator

Post by Ultraken »

It'll be smoother, at least. :)
Eddy
Rattler

Post by Eddy »

To record with Fraps at a decent framerate and resolution, you need both a fast CPU and a fast disk drive, preferably a separate drive from the OS and BZ. I have a Q6600 quad core CPU and a Raid 0 4TB drive array for recording. I can record at 1024x768x60fps (which eats up 2GBs very quickly) and video/sound is perfect. I record at 60fps for game playability, I cut it back to 30 for the finished video.

If you're having problems, do the usual and find the latest and greatest drivers, including NIC and sound drivers. The disk drive where you are writing the captured video is the first thing I would check.

Eddy
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Like I said before, XFIRE seems to be able to record very well. Better than FRAPS last I tried it. Though you have to trick it into working for BZ.
SnakeEye
Rattler

Post by SnakeEye »

recording bz with FRAPS is working good now. What type of format do you folks get the best result with?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I generally go for .avi and then compress to something else, but bear in mind that .avis have the potential to eat up a lot of hard drive space quickly.
Eddy
Rattler

Post by Eddy »

To keep game performance reasonable, you should go with minimal compression. The default FRAPS and XFIRE format is optimized to not chew up CPU cycles but does eat up disk space like candy.

I do the same thing AHadley, I always need to edit the files so I compress them to mp4 or wmv after editing.

Eddy
Ghastly
Sober Scav

Post by Ghastly »

Ultraken wrote:The newest versions of FRAPS seem to have much less impact than before, though the vast amount of data it outputs can put a serious strain on your computer. Based on my test recording, FRAPS writes out about one bype per pixel per frame, which is almost 20MB/s at 640x480 and 60FPS. In essence, your hard drive gets to drink from the fire hose, so it may struggle if its older and slower or its free space is heavily-fragmented. BZ isn't exactly light on its feet, either.
Fraps (the newer versions, at least. I don't know about older ones) automatically compresses while it's recording. It's not nearly as good as the XVid codec Youtube recommends, for example, but it saves some space. Sacrifices CPU, though, but it isn't terrible.