Battlezone: The Re-imagining

Moderators: GSH, Ultraken

Axial
Drunken Scav

Battlezone: The Re-imagining

Post by Axial »

So, I was registered on BZU for only a short while, and I was aware it went down and where everyone went, but I've been away for awhile myself. Before BZU went down, I had said I was going to start working on a series of drawings for the Battlezone universe depicting my version of events in the timeline. I also said I wasn't going to post anything until I had several done...well, I didn't get several done for lack of time, but I did get a start. So without too much humbug, I humbly present to you Battlezone: The Re-Imagining. Feel free to comment and post and critique and ask questions and all that fun stuff!

The Truman Era
When it became clear to the Germans in 1943 that they would be unable to prevent the Allies from overrunning the Fatherland, they set in motion the most grandiose retreat action in human history. With an entire war serving as a rear-guard, they expanded their far-post in New Swabia, Antarctica into a full military installation replete with barracks, training grounds, hangars, R&D sections, and production facilities. U-boats would ferry supplies to the base, taking the long way around the Allied patrols and surfacing inside the compound after travelling under the icy continent. Towards the end of the Great War, the German scientific community had discovered a material hailing from meteorites. Normally the entire object would burn up in the atmosphere, but in this case a part of it remained, unscathed even. After some years of testing, they began to call it Gedächtnismetall; memory metal, after its affinity for returning to a pre-set shape. By 1941, the Germans had become so familiar with it that they were able to begin applying it to the manufacture of war materiel. By 1942, sightings of saucer-shaped objects in the sky moving with bizarre agility began to circulate among the Allied air forces. The Haunebu, as it was known to the Germans, was mass-produced in New Swabia and, come the end in 1945, was used to transport approximately 30,000 German personnel to the moon, where they would attempt to rebuild their fighting capabilities unmolested.
The US Army, during the final days of the Third Reich, found documents pointing to the existence of a German far-post in Antarctica. Following V.E. day, the United States arranged an expedition to the region to inform the personnel there of the War's end and receive their surrender; what they found was nothing short of amazing. While most of the base had been demolished by the fleeing Germans, the charred hulks of unfinished, almost alien aircraft and ground vehicles remained intact enough for the Americans to study with help from recovered documents; these same documents also hinted at where the Germans had gone and what they might be preparing for. The United States immediately put together a crash-course project to reverse engineer the technology to use it to repel the impending invasion. Using existing war-time vehicles as a starting point, they made a whole slew of modifications. Such modifications included the addition of Gedächtnismetall/steel alloy armour, retrofitting of protoype propulsion in place of tracks or props, and up-gunning due to the increased protective potential of the new armour inevitably to be used on German analogues. The Americans even rebuilt and re-tooled the factories at New Swabia to manufacture their new arsenal. By the time the Germans came in 1947, they were ready.
The Germans were unprepared for the challenges of space travel. Upon their exodus, they lost some 900 men to microparticle collisions in transit. When they came back, they lost a third of their force of 2,000 attack craft to radiation due to an untimely solar flare, and another third upon re-entry due to cracks and imperfections in their vehicles and US rocket artillery. The remaining force was massively under-strength when it touched down in Antarctica and was quickly overwhelmed by the new US prototype vehicles. The Germans once again retreated, but this time they were to be followed. By 1951, the United States had put in place the infrastructure to support a campaign on the Moon to annihilate the Third Reich. Using rockets, they would bring to the moon a strike group supported by a reserve of the rare material, now referred to as "biometal," and a portable manufacturing plant. The campaign was short and decisive: American forces surrounded and outgunned the now depleted ranks of the Reich. Their base was occupied and re-named "Eagle's Nest One" and would become the United States' permanent military residence on the moon.

The Germans had calculated that a symmetrical shape was necessary to maintain a stable gravity repulsion field, explaining the saucer-shape of their craft. The Americans had discovered during their reverse-engineering process that you could maintain a hovering capacity by using the V-thruster to support the back end of the vehicle while using a smaller, less power-intensive repulsion field to support the front. The test-bet for this design was to be a P-47 fuselage, of which the United States had many after having retired the aircraft in favour of the P-51. The engine compartment was gutted and used as a cooling radiator for the anti-gravity mechanism. The back end was hack-sawed off and in its place was fitted the gravity impeller and the plasma rocket V-thruster assembly. The external plating was replaced with a bio-steel alloy with each plate capable of evenly distributing impact damage within itself with roughly 80% efficiency. The eight .50 machine guns were replaced with two 30mm cannon and a set of three 12.7mm HVAR rocket mounts. The resulting XP-73 "Razorback" was used as a front-line skirmisher during the invasion and the subsequent Lunar campaign.
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Re: Battlezone: The Re-imagining

Post by Iron_Maiden »

Intresting stuff, Always loved alternate histories, and the drawing is good too.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Looking good. Keep it up.

I still have my cc (carbon copy) collection provided by a source that must remain unnamed.

Carbon Copy was always a weak link in regard to secret documents, primarily because it was an afterthought even to those keenly aware of protecting highly secure documentation. For those younger individuals, carbon copy paper was a way to transpose written, typed, or drawn information by placing a thin membrane between two sheets of paper. Early on, the membrane was made generally of a light weight sheet of paper with a thin coating of waxy ink on one surface. That surface was placed face down on the sheet of paper to receive the image transfer. Pressure from a typewriter keystrike, pencil, pen, etc. would press and transfer the waxy ink onto the blank paper. You probably have seen the modern version of this when you receive a receipt at a restaurant, retail store etc.

Tightly balling cc was approved as proper disposal of the medium for classified materials in the years before the 1960's, when cc quality was lower. That mindset was still prevalent well into the 1960's when cc could be read, even after being tightly balled. Shredding quickly became required, as it soon became evident some information was not destroyed. There was a several year gap by complacent individuals that allowed me to receive a sizable collection of white papers and classified research. Through analyzing this cc, I was able to reconstruct much of the early history of the odd metal and the resulting conflict with the soviets on the moon and western USSR.

I do not want to expand too much more however, as BZU went down shortly after my announcement and discussion of said documentation.
Axial
Drunken Scav

Post by Axial »

I am privy to the contents of that carbon copy. It is actually what spurred me on to starting this historical reconstruction. I also hope that when I have added more to the reconstruction, certain Community Project elements will get inspired. Better yet, modern engines will be employed.

Since I am a student in game development, I intend to actually turn this into a tangible, playable project. Tri-views are as much for modeling purposes as for entertainment value.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Lol
Axial
Drunken Scav

Post by Axial »

General BlackDragon wrote:Lol

Just to clarify, at what is the "Lol" directed?
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Also remember to differentiate between 'top speed' on worlds with an atmosphere or without.

My aerodynamically clumsy turret can theoretically achieve escape velocity on the Moon with enough perfectly flat terrain ending in a gradual slope. Of course it needs a good 35 miles of flat and around eight miles of four degrees incline to do so, which is highly unlikely.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote: I do not want to expand too much more however, as BZU went down shortly after my announcement and discussion of said documentation.
Axial
Drunken Scav

Post by Axial »

General BlackDragon wrote:
Psychedelic Rhino wrote: I do not want to expand too much more however, as BZU went down shortly after my announcement and discussion of said documentation.
Heh. I just thought you were laughing at my ideas. I was about to have a sad. =o

@Psychedelic Rhino: Your turret was the other thing that spurred me onto this. I don't quite agree with the way you did the turret, but I do like its attention to physics. As you can see, I left the tail-plane intact on this prototype Razer; that's because it was intended for use in atmosphere on Earth. During the lunar campaign, it would get deleted and the extra material gained would be used to effect repairs. The 60s Razer wouldn't need a rudder, being able to do everything with thrust-vectoring and body aerodynamics.

By the way, and I don't know if those of you who frequent that forum remember, but I'm the same as Ace 0f Spades on BZ2MD.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Axial wrote: @Psychedelic Rhino: Your turret was the other thing that spurred me onto this. I don't quite agree with the way you did the turret, but I do like its attention to physics.
It's actually insightful you find 'my' Badger has issues. It is a montage of BZ's nonsensical turret and the information that was gleamed from the cc collection. There's just enough variation and deviation from the design elements used to secure the bio-metal splash-down sites to keep the guys in the dark-sunglasses from getting too friendly with yours truly...
Axial
Drunken Scav

Post by Axial »

Well, the first game seems like it was actually supposed to be a caricature of the Cold War, military brass, the Soviet Union, conspiracy theories, and the space race. The dialogue in the game makes that evident to me; perhaps Ken can share more on that. It would appear that they just accidentally gave the game a fantastic back-story and fleshed out the contemporary story too well. The sequel game has a much more serious tone.

As for the turret, well, I'll get there once I'm done with Truman Era. Yours is operating more under conventional physics rather than taking into account the properties of biometal. That gives me a greater amount of headroom than you, in my case, since I'm going to be developing some of the mechanics of biometal with this project (such as how the vehicles get power, how they hover, how nano-ammo works, etc.).

I have the early Bobcat, early turret, German Haunebu Mk. IVR, Mk. IVN, and German turrets left to go before I can start doing 1960s NSDF.
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

One of the biggest fallacies of most of the re-imagined scenarios for the fight for bio-metal is the substance was used in the actual projectiles.

The Soviets nor the Americans would have considered, for a second, throwing the most expensive material ever imagined at the enemy.

The humorous acronym 'OREO' secretly passed through the ranks of those involved. The 'Oval Room Executive Order' #10911-B, siphoned several billion (and this was in the early 60's) away from the defense department for the program. Add the risk of dozens of conspiracy convictions throughout the military and administrative branch, it would have made the Tower Commission look like an investigation of a stolen slice of key lime pie from the White House kitchen. To collect, and then throw the material at the enemy is so absurd, I truly doubt it was ever discussed.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

It's more a "lol" on how so quickly and readily he slips in and out of character is all :)
Axial
Drunken Scav

Post by Axial »

Zax wrote:It's more a "lol" on how so quickly and readily he slips in and out of character is all
Heh, I've noticed that. I feel like I should join in, but it's hard to not slip out of character to explain some things
Psychedelic Rhino wrote:One of the biggest fallacies of most of the re-imagined scenarios for the fight for bio-metal is the substance was used in the actual projectiles.

The Soviets nor the Americans would have considered, for a second, throwing the most expensive material ever imagined at the enemy.

The humorous acronym 'OREO' secretly passed through the ranks of those involved. The 'Oval Room Executive Order' #10911-B, siphoned several billion (and this was in the early 60's) away from the defense department for the program. Add the risk of dozens of conspiracy convictions throughout the military and administrative branch, it would have made the Tower Commission look like an investigation of a stolen slice of key lime pie from the White House kitchen. To collect, and then throw the material at the enemy is so absurd, I truly doubt it was ever discussed.
That fallacy assumes that the bio-metal munitions are unrecoverable. Assuming they are not converted to raw energy, they would just be reclaimed as scrap, either from the wreckage of the target or from where the projectile landed. You also have to remember that for some of the fantastical things biometal does, it has to be consumed. It can't produce anti-gravity indefinitely.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Axial wrote:That fallacy assumes that the bio-metal munitions are unrecoverable. Assuming they are not converted to raw energy, they would just be reclaimed as scrap, either from the wreckage of the target or from where the projectile landed. You also have to remember that for some of the fantastical things biometal does, it has to be consumed. It can't produce anti-gravity indefinitely.
About the last part of that statement; I've been looking into some old ISDF documents myself regarding this matter, mainly investigating the technology behind the more advanced technologies such as antigravity, teleportation, and wormholes. They're sketchy - possibly deliberately so, I'm sure they knew the Society for the Freedom of Truth were out there somewhere - but the information I have gathered and my (rather basic) knowledge of physics leads me to believe that biometal contains a dark matter component which reacts differently to gravity under certain circumstances. If I actually had access to biometal, I'd test this myself, but I believe (and this is only a theory) that pulsing electricity through biometal will cause the dark matter to act differently in a gravitational field - the ISDF dubbed it "gravitational resonance" and the documents suggest it is a similar phenomenon to placing a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. That does, of course, mean that biometal is in direct violation of Newton's Law of Gravitation, but I've suspected that law was wrong for some time.

I wrote a document trying to explain these theories, disguising it as a short story in order to keep attention away from myself.

I don't know if the two of you are involved with the Society at all, but I'm glad there are people here I can discuss these things with.