[DOWNLOAD!] Unofficial Expansion Pack Public Beta Released!

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Re: [DOWNLOAD!] Unofficial Expansion Pack Public Beta Releas

Post by Nielk1 »

AHadley wrote:Answer: BZComplex is free.
If he can swallow his pride and ask.

Though, I don't know anymore...
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Nielk1 wrote:
AHadley wrote:Answer: BZComplex is free.
If he can swallow his pride and ask.

Though, I don't know anymore...
I'm just glad you're still hosting the Gmax export thingy.

Thanks for that, by the way.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

I am getting bad assets with players who have the UEP Standalone Map Pack 1. Games i've tried to enter so far where i've gotten BA problems are ST:Lunar, and possibly ST:Redslope. I know stock maps aren't affected, and I have not tested most of the SMP1 maps but I do know that at least 2 of them are affected.

Are other UEP users experiencing these issues too? Have changes been made to certain maps that might cause BA?

For now i'm just going to install the standalone map pack and remove the strat maps out of UEP PB1 since i've noticed that a majority of strat players that i've asked arent yet running UEP PB1.
Warfreak
Rattler

Post by Warfreak »

AFAIK, changes were done to a good chunk of the maps since their previous pre-release in the map-pack. I also have noticed that in regards to the last SVN build of the UEP and Jamsh's revisioning that Dogfighting, Jamsh's Recy Var, and possibly some of the maps were altered, which means that somewhere along the line those need to be synchronized if future work is to be done.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I would recommend renaming any pre-existing maps if your going to alter them in any way, creating new assets with the same names as old ones is asking for trouble.
But I have also seen people getting Bad assets with the UEP on maps that are uniquely named eg dfloot.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:I would recommend renaming any pre-existing maps if your going to alter them in any way, creating new assets with the same names as old ones is asking for trouble.
I have to point out that people are getting bad assets between two different UEP versions. So while I find the entire process TJ has gone through for release and updating appalling, I will still say that this point is irrelevant. You are literally saying that it is bad that the UEP Public Beta Release causes bad assets with the UEP Pre-Release Pack (which was called 'open beta bits' which was released because people were gone for testing, INCLUDING TJ). That is like saying 1.3pb6.2 should have renamed all the maps over 1.3pb6.1, it doesn't make sense.

That said, I can't speak for the stability of ANY of the maps after what TJ has done or hasn't included of our fixes. As it is, he broke the promise of a release of just the maps as per use conditions of the assets, leaving people to FALSELY think that the old beta map release is that, when it so very much is not.

All who wanted the maps without all the other garbage, proceed to glare at TJ now.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

I refuse to download and/or play anything that does not have the creator's blessings.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Problems are to be expected at this point, but I think that UEP Part 1 can be re-released at a later time, but with fixes done to it. I'm just going to point out things on future UEP releases that can be improved upon.

- Remove all edited strat maps so that UEP Pt.1 is backwards compatible with non-UEP users. Either Replace that content with the "1.3 Strategy Map Pack" or do not include strat maps that overlap with that pack since many users will have installed that pack anyways.

- Fix the multiplayer ESC menu, to re-add voice chat controls back for the custom shell interfaces. Compare functionality of stock 1.3 interfaces with the custom ones to ensure that the custom ones have all the functionality that stock has.

- Talk to your asset creators and get their input on how they feel about how their assets are implemented -- you might find that something might have been improperly implemented and the creator might even release a fix to you.

Semi-unrelated question. Does anyone know how to get the bzgame_keys.cfg to echo something into the chat window that's only visible to the player who is using that key combination? Ie: Something like "Voice Chat: Team Only" or "Voice Chat: Speaking to all". I will be releasing an updated Newkeys file to the project soon enough.
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

No I am not saying the UEP should alter assets with every release. I am saying that assets available elsewhere, such as maps, should be uniquely renamed when included in the UEP.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:No I am not saying the UEP should alter assets with every release. I am saying that assets available elsewhere, such as maps, should be uniquely renamed when included in the UEP.
Note that elsewhere was also the UEP...

Unless you count that thing that got released on BZ2Maps, I have no idea what that is. That mostly happened because of the stall on the UEP. Though it curiously included some maps made just for the UEP without any asking (some of TJ's maps). But that has not been mentioned here yet that I know of.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

This is why releasing this early, was a bad idea, TJ.
Clavin12
Bull Dog

Post by Clavin12 »

What do you suppose might be happening now if he hadn't released it early? Anything?
Warfreak
Rattler

Post by Warfreak »

From what I understand, people wouldn't have noticed the difference, but eventually I think someone would have released more of the maps for public testing / enjoyment rather than the recy variants because it is the maps that really need more fine tuning while the variants need overhauls.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Its highly likely that even in a future release asset clashes with older stuff would still happen, unless everything was re-named perhaps. Possible but long-winded. Meh, most should be intelligent enough to work it all out.

If I hadn't released it early, you'd still be getting the "When its ready answer", from now until I don't know when. I doubt any of us know when 'when' would have been. I put this out for a lot of personal reasons not just because 'i felt like it' remember. Come Sept 19th i'm going to be furiously busy, for a long time. Hence rash decision making. If I end up not having enough time to be a part of the community anymore, then at least I can leave knowing i've released something after all my time around here, even if it is borked. I'll still do an update or two. See what happens.

Purplehaze put out a strat map pack for 1.3 that included a bunch of my maps and others' maps after he got access to the UEP, he leaked loads of our assets, from way further back-when. (And no he didn't have anybodies permission to do it, not that it counts for much over there). Pissed me right off but nothing I could have done about it. Not up to me to work around him/her being an asshole.

The original plan for the UEP was for it to run alongside stock, and allow other mods to use its assets too. I know nobodies going to bother with that now though. Any mods that we'll likely see in the future are further improvements to G66, which RD already has set up his own way, and FS2 and QF2. BBB isn't a multiplayer fanatic so I doubt he'll design them to run alongside this. FE has an asset pool deep enough of its own, and Serenesis... well. Doubt it'll ever become a reality in this engine to be honest. Maybe in 10 years time...
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

If you're going to be furiously busy, then hand the reins of the project off to Neilk1 and let him have a go at shining it up. The bad assets issue is kind of a big one. For now i'm just advising everyone delete ST* maps out of their UEPPreRelease/maps13 folder.