Hosting providers other than dreamhost?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

GSH
Patch Creator

Hosting providers other than dreamhost?

Post by GSH »

In case you haven't noticed, this is a sticky thread that notes that Dreamhost has had phpBB issues for a week now -- they've simply shut off new user registration for all phpBB sites they host. No announcements or ETA on when this might be fixed. This doesn't make me think too kindly of Dreamhost, and I'm starting to consider moving off them. (Yes, this is posted in 'off topic', not 'Talk to the management'. Web scrapers like google, bing, etc can't read the TTTM board. Dreamhost has annoyed me enough that I'd prefer this topic to be read by that.)

Ken's moved his stuff to http://hostmatters.com/. There's also http://www.hostgator.com/ which is in town.

I'm not interested in joining someone else's plan or be hosted by anyone here, so don't suggest that. I'd rather be independent.

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Hosting providers other than dreamhost?

Post by MrTwosheds »

I expect this is a common problem, set up a company to be a host, get some customers, then sit back and watch the money pile up while ignoring the servers, repeat process with new equipment under a new name. Minimise the cost maintaining the servers and just replace equipment once it becomes unused...maximise profit and time spent on golf course.
AcneVulgaris
Thunderbolt

Post by AcneVulgaris »

You can get a whole VM for pretty cheap ($30/month) at slicehost.com, and be the master of your own destiny. Been running mine for a couple years with no problems. If you and Ken split it, it'd be even cheaper.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

My dad has used Hostgator for his website for a couple of years now and has not had any complaints.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

I use Site5, I have shared hosting there, not virtual, so it has its limits.
PCG-Oldfart
Drunken Constructor

Post by PCG-Oldfart »

I have space available if you are interested. Just let me know how much bandwidth and file space you need.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

GSH wrote: I'm not interested in joining someone else's plan or be hosted by anyone here, so don't suggest that. I'd rather be independent.

-- GSH

Lol @ 3 replies above
TwinShadow
Sabre

Post by TwinShadow »

Uh, GSH, what's up with the AcidTech Red image at the top? Or is that a troll from Dreamhost as well?

Ok, that aside.. I've personally used Hosting4Clans for years without any trouble. The plans they have aren't top-notch, but the support is amazing from my experiences. I don't know how much bandwidth is used here, so if that's not an option, BlueHost is a possibility, or perhaps x10hosting.

There aren't a whole lot of good providers anymore, and very few provide good customer support.
PCG-Oldfart
Drunken Constructor

Post by PCG-Oldfart »

Your choice I host a lot sites for people that are very happy with my plans. I lease bulk space from Host Gator so you can go do your own thing with them I won't offer again. Good Luck with it
PCG-Oldfart
Drunken Constructor

Post by PCG-Oldfart »

General BlackDragon wrote:
GSH wrote: I'm not interested in joining someone else's plan or be hosted by anyone here, so don't suggest that. I'd rather be independent.

-- GSH

Lol @ 3 replies above
What are you laughing at I've never had a complaint from any of the people I host sites for and I've been doing it for 8 years. But after the post quoted I wouldn't want this site as a customer at any price. And for your information most of the sites with good fast servers that you can buy hosting plans from lease from Host Gator just like I do with a reseller account.
Again good luck with your site.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Not even from Squirrel? He has had very reliable servers and support, moreso than I've ever gotten with low price rental servers.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

-- GSH

Lol @ 3 replies above
Why "Lol?" I was providing user feedback, not offering a space on someone else's hosting.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

VSMIT wrote:

-- GSH

Lol @ 3 replies above
Why "Lol?" I was providing user feedback, not offering a space on someone else's hosting.
Exactly the same, I don't own Site5, its not like I was offering space, I was saying what I use. Helps if you bother to read before you comment GBD.
PCG-Oldfart
Drunken Constructor

Post by PCG-Oldfart »

$30.00 a month a way to high check out these plans from Host Gator 4 to 12 bucks a month.
http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml
OvermindDL1
Sober Scav

Post by OvermindDL1 »

I have dreamhost for one of my two servers, but I have had no issues, but then I do not use their one-click-setup-whatever things, I just handle it all manually.

My other server is on Lypha for note, they are decent, but dreamhost is better in my opinion, if you ignore their automatic stuff anyway.