A small(ish) but hopefully pleasing announcement...

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

jack775544
Thunderbolt

Re: A small(ish) but hopefully pleasing announcement...

Post by jack775544 »

Nielk1 wrote:/me has to point out Jayden's texture and UV work.
Well someone give Jayden a medal as well :)
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Charles Baudelaire
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

AHadley wrote:Rocket bomber meets APC? Damn cool concept. If we can equip the rocket bomb on it, even better :P
Pretty much yeah! It requires some DLL hand-holding, but it does work. Currently uses Photon Torpedos, although I suppose there's no reason that couldn't be changed.
DarkCobra262 wrote:How would the AI turret work? A tap or ?
Yeah the turret is essentially a tap. Nielk1 wrote a .dll add-on a while ago that allows you to do so almost seamlessly. There are limitations of course, but it's as close as we'll ever get to vehicle taps in BZ2 I think. I'm TRYING damn hard to learn my way around Visual Express so I can compile a simple .dll that does nothing but support these units and other handy .dll functions, but the interface and layout is so damn confusing to a code noob.
jack775544 wrote:Someone give TJ a medal these models he is making look amazing.
As Nielk1 says, Jayden UV'd and textured them both. I am making adjustments as I go along to further optimize the model. For some benign and unknown reason, the 'Symmetry' modifier that is commonly used with UV-mapping adds a lot of unnecessary divisions to the mesh, and thus more polygons. Jayden kept them in but I'm trying to reduce it as far as possible without spoiling the detail.

Also, with this model in particular we had some issues with scaling. When I sent Jayden the original model, I left one of the parts scaled wrong by accident (the top section). When It came back to me, Jayden had based the UV around the part being scaled wrong and hanging off the end of the craft. I've adjusted the UV and texture as much as possible so he doesn't have to have another go all over again, and made some adjustments too. Actually, Jaydens texture generating method is genius, and pretty quick too. It's the UVing that's the tough part.

I'll post a video later of this in game. I may go back a couple of builds because the attacher code isn't as smooth in latest public.
Developer @ Stormtide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2350#p40547 << My UE4 Battlezone Project

ModDB - Battlezone II Unofficial Expansion Pack
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

TheJamsh wrote:New AAN Gun Tower render.
Eventhough I like the look of that, I dont think you should leave it like that.
Or you are going to create a situation where every scav is going to be trapped in GTs or you are not going to give the sides any collisionbox and it somewhat breaks the imagination when you constantly see stuff driving through what seems a solid wall.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Red Spot wrote:
TheJamsh wrote:New AAN Gun Tower render.
Eventhough I like the look of that, I dont think you should leave it like that.
Or you are going to create a situation where every scav is going to be trapped in GTs or you are not going to give the sides any collisionbox and it somewhat breaks the imagination when you constantly see stuff driving through what seems a solid wall.
Indeed the walls present an initial problem. What I will likely do is have a version for multi/instant gameplay that has no wall. Although I intend on making the new AAN Scavs the hover-variety which will help with a LOT of the issues.

When I first do a building or unit though, I usually model every possible detail I think I'll need. This GT will probably feature in the campaign or in specific locations. The doorway on the left is actually an underpass for pilots.
Developer @ Stormtide

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

New Unit in progress. This is set to become the AAN's 'Negotiator' Heavy Tank. At the moment it's designed as a deploying unit, but I may change that to hover-assault, all depends on how I'm going to balance it. It's a cross between a heavy tank, anti-air and artillery, and a slow-mover with heavy armour.

Current thoughts for loadout:
- Assault Mortar (May change to Assault Cannon if it becomes a hover-assault unit).
- Twin Missiles, OR a Photon Torpedo pod like the Engager.
- Possibly Twin Combat Guns or a Special, again depending on balance.

Developer @ Stormtide

S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

TheJamsh wrote:New Unit in progress. This is set to become the AAN's 'Negotiator' Heavy Tank. At the moment it's designed as a deploying unit, but I may change that to hover-assault, all depends on how I'm going to balance it. It's a cross between a heavy tank, anti-air and artillery, and a slow-mover with heavy armour.

Current thoughts for loadout:
- Assault Mortar (May change to Assault Cannon if it becomes a hover-assault unit).
- Twin Missiles, OR a Photon Torpedo pod like the Engager.
- Possibly Twin Combat Guns or a Special, again depending on balance.

not realy what I was thinking as a deploying unit.
4 THINGS TO REMEMBER:
1.Professionals are predictable,amateurs are dangerous
2.If you can't remember, the Big Gun is always aimed at you.
3.If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid,it's crazy.
4.Anything you do can get you killed,even if it's nothing
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

It's not finished yet :P Anyway, you wouldn't want the same units you've seen before.

All will be revealed. I'm working from two good bits of concept art on this one. The difficulty is keeping new models bz-ish.
Developer @ Stormtide

Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

The model on the last page is pretty cool. I always love seeing people's creations. Can't wait to see how this next one turns out. Kind of gives me the urge to make something now. :)
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Dianoga wrote:The model on the last page is pretty cool. I always love seeing people's creations. Can't wait to see how this next one turns out. Kind of gives me the urge to make something now. :)
Yeah man, once I have an idea in my head and I know how to go about it, I'll see it through to the bitter end. It's just getting started initially that's the tough part...

Also, new screens! This is starting to get it's shape and definition now. Still a fair bit of shaping to do.

Developer @ Stormtide

TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Okay, base mesh done. Still some bits of detail to add. I'm not really happy with the front end at the moment, needs some work on the skirt-like bit.

Also planning to add a hydraulic piston underneath the cannon. If I set up the envelopes right I can make it look like it's supporting the turret.

Developer @ Stormtide

General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

the sides are blah.

Needs fins
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Needs something to make me believe it can actually fire forward without keeling over. Perhaps the deloy-bit you wanted to go for can simulate that?
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Red Spot wrote:Needs something to make me believe it can actually fire forward without keeling over. Perhaps the deloy-bit you wanted to go for can simulate that?
Attach the entire body to a recoil HP
◥▶◀◤ row row, fight the powuh
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

It's certainly missing something. Fins wouldn't really fit this unit as it is. It's too bulky.

I'm trying to get rid of or re-work the curved front to make it more angular and less like a sponge. Reminds me of a car with a turret at the moment. Needs a fair bit of work.
Developer @ Stormtide

Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

You should consider moving the cockpit and main gun closer to the middle of the ship. I think that would make the design more practical.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep