server down

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Dataanti
Thunderbolt

Re: server down

Post by Dataanti »

Revenge57 wrote:It looks like game ranger launches its own version of battle zone (No Modes)
I don't see this as a viable alternative for us
Plus there is no MPIs on their version
If you have more then one battlezone install on your computer, go to edit > options > games and then scroll down the list until you find battlezone. Make sure it is bzone.exe in the correct battlezone folder.
I've been lurking....
S.cavA.rmyG.en
Sabre

Post by S.cavA.rmyG.en »

Feared_1 wrote:
Red Devil wrote:GS maint mon night
Here, I'll put this into English:

According to the GameSpy Status Twitter page, there is a "Wide Planned Maintenacne w/ Brief Interruptions of Service." This will happen Monday from 10PM-3AM PDT.

More info: http://status.poweredbygamespy.com/post ... erruptions

Maybe they'll get it back up?
I hope but it has ben down for days not 5 hours
4 THINGS TO REMEMBER:
1.Professionals are predictable,amateurs are dangerous
2.If you can't remember, the Big Gun is always aimed at you.
3.If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid,it's crazy.
4.Anything you do can get you killed,even if it's nothing
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I worked for an ISP for a while, :evil: ...Don't expect open and honest communication with the public to occur, they are only gong to say things that they won't mind anyone reading. The apparent absence of communication on the subject of the games that have stopped working, is either because they do not wish to publicly acknowledge that something went wrong, or maybe that they have no intention of rectifying it anyway.
This approach is unfortunately quite normal for companies these days, even for their paying customers... No communication is preferable to admitting their faults/failures or inconsiderate policies in the public arena.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

It's only natural and fair for any entity to forbid any employee to keep hush when it comes to plans or changes within that organization -- just due to the large liabilities that the entity faces if the information is incorrect or misinterpreted. However it is sneaky and unethical for companies to silently drop support for some of their clients and then stonewall any attempts to get information about this. That is directly management's fault for not allowing their lower-level employees to communicate what's going on in that situation.

The GS situation might be a case of GLU Mobile trying to stay off of the radar by hiding the fact that they might be dropping support. In that case it is our responsibility to find other games/communities being affected by this change and make as much noise as we can so that mainstream gaming media like Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Slashdot, etc can find out the magnitude of the effects of this corporate takeover. However, we still have another 24 hours to see if support is going to be restored or whether we have to start whining as loudly as possible.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Tuesday 16.30 gmt. BZ2 remains disabled by Gamespy/GLUmobile.
Locating targets for Orbital Bombardment.
However, we still have another 24 hours to see if support is going to be restored or whether we have to start whining as loudly as possible.
I doubt this will be successful, I imagine the original GS business model involved them getting a % of sales, they get no revenue from us now (if they ever did), so they really have no incentive at all to continue providing the service.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Well, here is a status update on what's going on.

- QR1 continues to run. Although we cannot rely on the Kebbz game list as it is no longer fetching QR1 games despite the fact that PB5 and earlier can still see games from any QR1 version.
- Hosting games on any QR1 version of BZ2 requires hosts to forward their ports in order to be connected to by clients.
- The preferred method of connecting employed by the strat community is still direct IP with the IPs being posted on our TS3 server chat.
- We have done some experimentation with gameranger and it is a usable but far-from-ideal fallback. TS3 direct IP connections are still preferred as TS3 is a central meeting hub for the strat community anyways.

This video mentions GLU Mobile GS dropping support for several activision titles and some games being switched over to using OpenSpy which is a replacement for gamespy.

The bulk of knowledge about Openspy that I could find is contained in this topic, which also displays the IP of the OpenSpy server.

As BZ2 has no way to change connections to the matchmaking server via any config files -- the only way to do so is by editing the 'hosts' file to redirect any requests to gamespy to the openspy IP. However a problem occurs in that QR2 versions connect to a server that has an auto-generated part of its host name which prevents hosts file redirects from working properly (as hosts does not appear to support wildcards). If any one who is more knowledgable about gamespy or internet networking wants to try and tackle these problems then that would be great, as I am starting to run out of ideas.

I would like to make an installer that switches people over to using openspy, provided that we can get openspy to work for us in the first place.
Regulators
Earn your keep
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Posted a support request for OpenSpy here.
Regulators
Earn your keep
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

Zero Angel
"QR2 versions connect to a server that has an auto-generated part of its host name "

That information is what I need to see how much it would cost to pay for a server. What is the auto-generated part that I need to share with a server company? I can't get a price if I can't ask whether they can do it or not.
He who does not advance themselves, endlessly becomes themselves.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3606640
squirrelof09
Sabre

Post by squirrelof09 »

That information is what I need to see how much it would cost to pay for a server. What is the auto-generated part that I need to share with a server company? I can't get a price if I can't ask whether they can do it or not.
You could get a server, but you still need the software that runs on the server to communicate with the clients in bz2, that's the problem, you can't get your hands on that software.
Juggernaut
Thunderbolt

Post by Juggernaut »

I am going to start hosting more via Gameranger. Seems to be the easiest way for others to join and play stock BZ2 1.3 (for now), and to let people know in general it is still alive (barely), and if anything, leave it open as a lobby server while I'm away. I see many many other servers up for similarly aged titles.
http://gameranger.com

Benefits: Easy, small, free, uses NatNEG (unpn, no port forwarding needed), many chat options. Launches BZ automatically when host hits game start.

Drawbacks: Cannot launch custom shortcut (only bzone.exe), thus many mods will not launch via Gameranger, except for VSR, ZE mod etc seeing they are within addon.

This could be our last hope. :|
Specs:
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz CPU
16GB DDR31600 Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G41 MOBO
Crucial 256GB SSD | 500GB WD HDD
EVGA REF GTX-970 4GB ACX 2.1 GPU
27" LG D2743 Cinema 3D IPS LED @1920x1080 60Hz
ASUS Xonar DGX APU
Cable Internet - 35Mb/6Mb
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Well, it seems that hosts file modification can be used to point to a working GS server -- however it is getting the software that's the problem.

The folks at OpenSpy have seemed to be receptive to supporting BZ2, and i've created a thread there. It's just a matter of getting a copy of BZ2 to these gentlemen and i'm hesitant to recommend a certain torrent file that we are not allowed to talk about here.
Regulators
Earn your keep
Axeminister
Sabre

Post by Axeminister »

I have a copy of BZ2 that has never been used. I bought it at Fry's probably 7 years ago as it was the last one in town on the shelves, it is an XPLOSIV version. If needed I could lend them a copy. I am kind of hesitant to do it since they did us like this.
He who does not advance themselves, endlessly becomes themselves.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3606640
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

I'd just make an iso from the disk, attach a note that points to this site and upload it to some private space on the net, where they can download it using the password you send them in an email.

BZScrap/Squirrel might be able to facilitate the above.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Axeminister wrote:I have a copy of BZ2 that has never been used. I bought it at Fry's probably 7 years ago as it was the last one in town on the shelves, it is an XPLOSIV version. If needed I could lend them a copy. I am kind of hesitant to do it since they did us like this.
The contents of that disk are exactly the same as the boxed one. 1.01b.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
jaydenbz2
Thunderbolt

Post by jaydenbz2 »

I sent gamespy a message, I'm willing to pay them to keep support up, if the price is right, if no reliable and similar alternatives pop up.