Old games that you're playing right now

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Re: Old games that you're playing right now

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Not too many.

My first one was an ancient game called Syndicate. Then played a couple of Civilizations, then Homeworld 2. I took a couple year break then did Rome: Total War and Company of Heroes. I guess BZ and BZ2 can be included. Never was a big fan of pure 'iso' type RTS, but Homeworld 2 got me going to give COH and R:TW a shot.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Zenophas wrote:American McGee's Alice
I liked that one too. Did you ever try your hand at the sequel?
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

HitchcockGreen wrote:
Zenophas wrote:American McGee's Alice
I liked that one too. Did you ever try your hand at the sequel?
No, actually. I did see an LP though. Seemed not worth getting. Bland combat, finicky drawn out levels... lack of variety.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

I'd considered downloading it to give it a try but never got around to it.
Think the first is on GoG now.

As far as 'old games' go, I still play around with older iterations of Civ once in a while and FreeSpace (both 1 and 2) are still amusing for an hour or two at a time.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Psychedelic Rhino wrote:Not too many.

My first one was an ancient game called Syndicate. Then played a couple of Civilizations, then Homeworld 2. I took a couple year break then did Rome: Total War and Company of Heroes. I guess BZ and BZ2 can be included. Never was a big fan of pure 'iso' type RTS, but Homeworld 2 got me going to give COH and R:TW a shot.
Thanks.
Do you think the Civy-games are 'difficult' enough, or are you only refering to the older ones? (Been looking at 4 and 5 but for some reason it seems to me they are more or less a slighty more basic version of the Total War-games.)

Something I think you might be able to apreciate is AI War, do get all the DLCs though. Its a strat game that is not for the faint hearted :)
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Red Spot wrote:Thanks.
Do you think the Civy-games are 'difficult' enough, or are you only refering to the older ones? (Been looking at 4 and 5 but for some reason it seems to me they are more or less a slighty more basic version of the Total War-games.)
Personally, I haven't found any of the Civ games particularly challenging and even in 5 you are basically steered to become exactly one type of civilization; you must have military dominance - even if you don't win that way (although, you can turn that kind of win off).
Unless you have roves of units scouring your countryside and patrolling your borders everyone tends to think you're a joke and will sooner or later just attack you.

To me, the AI hasn't improved enough to win out purely through diplomatic means...which is something I'd rather see developed than fancier animations.
Winning through scientific discovery is also really easy.
I suppose if you were seeking a real challenge, turn off most victory types except the lesser-used ones, and play at the highest difficulty level possible.

I liked older iterations because modding was a snap.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

JFK Reloaded.
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

Quake II
Dark Reign 2
Hellbender
It's a cold world and THIS IS ICE
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Was playing Q2 the other day, some of the source ports (especially Q2E and KMQ2) are really pretty. The Zaero expansion pack (one of Team Evolve's efforts) is also a good play, but hard to get hold of these days.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
rice303
Rattler

Post by rice303 »

Gone back to the PS1 again and been playing Tekken 3, quake 2 and resident evil, also playing serious sam 2, doom 3, grim fandango and max payne, i'm practicly trying to pass all the games that now have many more sequals, trying to finish the origianls and understanding that they started what are now massive fanchises (except Grim which didn't sell enough)
Life isn't about love, hate or fear, it's about understanding that there's more then just us excising in this world, you may hate someone for their decision, but in the end, it's never your fault and you can always move on....
Psychedelic Rhino
Bull Dog

Post by Psychedelic Rhino »

Wow, that's quite a mish-mash of old greats.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

I was playing some Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the Xbox the other day with my boys. Still love that game. Actually played another old Star Wars game recently as well for a bit, Jedi Academy.
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

Might I mention that American McGee also worked on the second Quake installment?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

American McGee was with id from long before that; he worked on both classic Doom games as well as the first two Quakes before he left for EA.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
forgottengames
Sabre

Post by forgottengames »

May EA die in a radioactive cesspool. Amen.