Coop-play mods?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Semaphore
Rattler

Coop-play mods?

Post by Semaphore »

Are there any mods out there that offer coop play of two teams or one team with two players against one AI team?

I've tried introducing BZ2 to my wife, but unfortunately she starts to panic and yell quite easily when too much starts to happen at the same time. I've been wanting to help her out and join her in a game (AI or Single Player), but AFAIK there are no mods that allow for that.

What would be the coolest would probably be the vanilla official campaign, or any other story driven modification.
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: Coop-play mods?

Post by Red Devil »

ZTV for 1.3 which i posted recently on the old/deleted board.

I'll try to find a way to post it again.

i'm going to be adding Co-Op to Epic after i finish with FE.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

There was one, Dune Command, that was built around multiplayer co-op. It's for an older patch, though, and there is no update for it as of right now.
TheJamsh
Bull Dog

Post by TheJamsh »

Dune Command is pretty good if you can get past the ugliness of it... And if you can figure out just how the hell the scrap system works, because i'm yet to do that completely

Its not overly exciting in terms of missions though...
Semaphore
Rattler

Post by Semaphore »

Hm. I suppose I was hoping for something a little more.. conventional? Unless someone will promptly make the official single player campaign playable online, I think I'll just have to wait for Epic. ;)
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

My comments on co-op singleplayer were on BZU (rip).

Short summary: I'm not going to do a single bit of work to make co-op singleplayer happen, but if anyone wants to burn their own time, they can go ahead.

Long summary: I think co-op singleplayer is a total waste of development time to make a very few number of people happy. A much better use of development time is MP-centric game modes, like MPI/StratCTF/DM Variants. I've worked professionally on a game (Mercenaries 2) that had co-op singleplayer. It was a giant headache during development, as we had to handle drop-in, drop-outs at any and every point. And that was with co-op being planned for from day 1 on the project, and all the mission scripters being available to go to their desk and say "fix it for MP!" And after release, we had online statistics saying pretty much nobody playing it, and forum posts from people later saying "I didn't know you had that." I think Mercs2 would have been a much better game if co-op singleplayer had gotten the axe. We had dedicated testers who did nothing by play Mercs2 co-op every day for months on end, and there were still bugs when shipped. BZ2's all volunteer testing and development, and so there's not going to be a tenth of the QA time available.

BZ2 mission scripts are all C++ code written by designers who barely knew C++. They're a mess, and you can break a bunch of BZ2 SP missions by not following orders exactly. Add in another player (or few) that can drop in, drop out at any point, and it's going to be a giant development mess trying to find and fix all the bugs.

I personally think that a better use of BZ2 development time is to come up w/ some new MP game mode. That's much better supported. There's source code available for you to do that, right now. I've got a lot more features that I think BZ2 needs that would benefit everybody, and so I'm going to be concentrating on those. But, if you want to go get your hands dirty, I can't stop your free time.

-- GSH
Semaphore
Rattler

Post by Semaphore »

The same thing occurred to me. Very few people actually play vanilla BZ2, let alone single player. So as you say, it would make very few people happy. I haven't programmed in C++ in over ten years, but I just might brush up for this. The thought of the two of us battling through the OC or FE together is like the realization of an old, geekish dream of mine. :geek:

I see how that might seem a bit strange. To be brutally honest, we are both gamers. But there are very few genres that the two of us are actually both into. And of that subset, there are even fewer games that you can actually play over a LAN. She leans more to the sim/civil/strat side of gaming, while I'm more of a fps/rpg/pnprpg gamer. Having our own common (play) ground would definitely be worth it.

I'll have to set some time apart at least to get a rough overview on what would need to be done. If it looks like I'll be in over my head, I'm going to have to pass.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Epic Co-Op will be all MPI.
Semaphore
Rattler

Post by Semaphore »

Red Devil wrote:Epic Co-Op will be all MPI.
I got that. It would still be the next best thing. ;)
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

The next release of EPIC will be fantastic no matter what it entails.

Saying that, I now begin to realise just how many of its assets I am using... :$
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

and Co-Op Singleplayer is an oxymoron anyways :-p
Semaphore
Rattler

Post by Semaphore »

The single player genre has to end somewhere if the AI keeps getting more intelligent. ;)
shadow
Drunken Scav

Post by shadow »

hey guys,i have no knowledge on c++ atleast for now,
but creating a co-op is quite interesting... :D
by co-op i don't mean by all the story thing...
i want team work... where both players will have to work together in order to win.. :lol:
for example; :!:
a MP map with 2 players with their own recs...
one on north and one on south...and enemy in the center...
one as scions and one as isdf and enemy as isdf,
one players tries to take down the powers,lots of them
then other rushes with the other army to kill their rec.... :idea:
one players has 2 pools while other has 4 :twisted:
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Try this: ZTV for PB6
OvermindDL1
Sober Scav