Changing Radar size?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

2mg
Rattler

Changing Radar size?

Post by 2mg »

I'd like to increase radar size, but I have no clue where to start: there are 4 .cfg files for each game version, and there are a lot of gameprefs.radar commands.
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: Changing Radar size?

Post by Red Devil »

radar map sizes are now adjusted in in bzgame_init*.cfg.

check which one you are using by going to options/graphics/more options and look at which "in-game resolution expansion" you are using. (x1.0/x1.5/x2.0/etc.)

and then edit the appropriate bzgame_init*.cfg file.

make a backup of it after you are finished because updates overwrite it.

// Default UI size/position
Cmd("gameprefs.Play_MapRadarHeight 128");
Cmd("gameprefs.Play_MapRadarWidth 128");
Cmd("gameprefs.Play_MapRadarXDiff 30");
Cmd("gameprefs.Play_MapRadarYDiff -10");

Cmd("gameprefs.Edit_MapRadarHeight 128");
Cmd("gameprefs.Edit_MapRadarWidth 128");
Cmd("gameprefs.Edit_MapRadarXDiff -30");
Cmd("gameprefs.Edit_MapRadarYDiff -10");

Cmd("gameprefs.Play_CockpitRadarHeight 140");
Cmd("gameprefs.Play_CockpitRadarWidth 260");
Cmd("gameprefs.Play_CockpitRadarXDiff 35");
// Cmd("gameprefs.Play_CockpitRadarXSIScale 0.75"); // Don't touch this, just the height/width/pos

Cmd("gameprefs.TargetViewWidthMult 0.25");
Cmd("gameprefs.TargetViewHeightMult 0.25");
Cmd("gameprefs.TargetViewXMult 0.75");
Cmd("gameprefs.TargetViewXDiff -10.0");
Cmd("gameprefs.TargetViewYMult 0.0");
Cmd("gameprefs.TargetViewYDiff 60.0");
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Im not exactly sure what each of those segments do? Which one should I edit?
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

gameprefs.Play_MapRadarHeight is the height of the square minimap.

gameprefs.Play_MapRadarWidth is the width of the square minimap

gameprefs.Play_CockpitRadarHeight is the height of the oval radar map

gameprefs.Play_CockpitRadarWidth is the width of the oval radar map

xdiff and ydiff are the positions on the screen

gameprefs.Edit_Map are for positioning the map in the editor (since it's on the right side of the map due to the editor gui).

you can also just use the console (Ctrl~ toggles it) to adjust the map sizes and locations until you get them where you want them, then plug those values into the cfg.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Thank you!
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

No go.

Only commands that work (and stick) when I'm trying them in command prompt are:
ydiff (moves up/down)
ymult (multiplies ydiff?)
xmult (moves left/right)
XSSI (oval radar mesh size)
collorr g b (mesh colors)

xdiff always defaults to 70 after reload.

All width and height commands do nothing after reload.

PS: is there a faster way than loading the map over and over again to enforce commands, ctrl + something?
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

If some console commands don't exist, make sure you're running latest, 1.3.6.4z19. You can check your version by looking in the bottom-left of the pilot selection ("login") screen. Latest has five preconfigured in-game UI sizes, viewable on Options -> Graphics -> Graphics page 2, look in the bottom-right.

Console commands are not remembered from run to run. Never have been. Don't see any reason to change that. But, as RedDevil said, once you figure out what sizes/positions you like, put them in the appropriate bzgame_init*.cfg and they'll be run each time. The console is for quick preview, the cfg is for permanence.

-- GSH
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

No, they do exist, they just don't work!

And those that DO work, work only after I load a save.
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

http://i.imgur.com/Zrh8lDC.png

There are only 3, and I'm running z19.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Your screen resolution has to be at least 1.5 times 640x480 (i.e. 960x720) for the 1.5x option to be valid and appear, at least 2.0 * 640x480 (i.e. 1280x960) for the 2.0x option to be valid and appear, same for 2.5x and 3.0x. If you change most (all?) option on graphics options page 2, then BZ2 will warn you (just once, not every change) that you need to quit and re-launch BZ2 for the changes to take effect. Pay attention and do what it says. I don't make popups just because I'm bored.

-- GSH
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

GSH wrote:Your screen resolution has to be at least 1.5 times 640x480 (i.e. 960x720) for the 1.5x option to be valid and appear
Don't mind me asking, but why are those three available on 1080p in that case? Or vice versa? (and why is x3.0 missing?)
If you change most (all?) option on graphics options page 2, then BZ2 will warn you (just once, not every change) that you need to quit and re-launch BZ2 for the changes to take effect. Pay attention and do what it says. I don't make popups just because I'm bored.

-- GSH
I saw the popup, but I thought it was just "restart the game for changes to take effect", I didn't see "setting that option will automatically set prerequired options".

I'll go ahead and try it now and report back.
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

Conclusion: any x3 resolutions, such as 1920x1440, are missing (are they unlocked depending on Windows 95/98/XP compatibility mode?).

Only x2.5 resolution is 1600x1200 (are they unlocked depending on Windows 95/98/XP compatibility mode?). Others are 2x maximum, or less.

My native 1920x1080 allows up to x2.

I have been using 1920x1080 x2 FYI - I did restart the game per your popup request :) . So far I like 1600x1200 x2,5 or x2 the most, however, it's not monitor native resolution or native ratio. All in all, that's why I asked how to stretch radar even more on either 1920x1080, 1600x900 or 1280 x 720 (16:9 ratio) by using the console.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

First off, 1.3 does NOT need Win 95/98/ME/XP compatibility modes. 1.3 is developed on and for current Microsoft OSs. Do not use them. Those become actively harmful to BZ2 in some places.

The expanded UI modes become available if your monitor is large enough to support it. If you renamed files so that x3.0 mode was applied to 640x480, the UI would cover most of the screen, and still push other pieces offscreen. That's why -- as I said earlier this thread -- the list of expanded UI modes is dependent on the currently selected screen resolution. Your screen resolution must be at least 1.5 times 640x480 (i.e. 960x720) for the 1.5x option to be valid and appear, at least 2.0 * 640x480 (i.e. 1280x960) for the 2.0x option to be valid and appear, same for 2.5x and 3.0x. Do the math for x2.5 -- Windows has a handy calculator built in. Is your 1920x1080 screen resolution at least 640x480*2.5?

BZ2 up to 1.3.6.4-release only had one size. I give options, and people still whine. :( The reason I went with those 5 sizes is that there's over 100 .cfg files that have to be edited per option, so doing it programmatically was the best use of my time. According to the Steam Hardware Survey, I count 43 options for primary desktop resolutions in there; BZ2 allows in-game of 640x480, which is a 44th option. Add monitors in portrait mode, and that's 88 possibilities. And probably more by tomorrow.

Because you want a custom size, the advice from earlier this thread still applies: Use console commands to preview the size you want, and then save them in a .cfg. It's accurate, useful advice. Stop whining, do the math. And back up your .cfg files, because a local mod like UI sizes will be overwritten by the next patch.

-- GSH
2mg
Rattler

Post by 2mg »

GSH, I apologize if I'm frustrating you, but believe me, I'm not in any way whining or demanding something like a little brat. I am grateful for EVERYTHING this community has done to improve BZ2.

The point is that any width or height command doesn't do anything, only ones I've written above, and when I change them, I need to reload the map - to see what I did, I know it's not written into .cfg.

Since my screen is 16:9 (native 1920x1080, but I'd settle for any of 1600x900, 1366x768, 1280x720 - which are missing for some reason), 640x480*(from 1 to 3) will never equal 16:9.

Example: 1600/2.5=640, but 900/2.5=360. 1920x1080/3=640x360.

However, I can set 2x, but then 1920x1080/2=960x540 which is not 640x480 (and it's still small, at least the square map).

So forgive me, but I don't even know why I have options 1.5x and 2x allowed in the first place. And the second part is, as I said, that width and height commands simply don't do anything and I don't know why.

PS: Everything is saved into "C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Battlezone II. There are no .cfg files, and when I sort by "Date modified" any option changes ingame I've made are written in this folder in what I presume is "UserPrefs" or "Pilot0.dat" which can't be edited.
Last edited by 2mg on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Putting the commands in the console wont do much, they need to be edited into a bzgame_init.cfg file.

1: Find the bzgame_init.cfg for your desired resolution.
2: Copy that, and paste it somewhere, rename the end to match your resolution.
3: Edit the CFG, the numbers are near the bottom of it. Put in the radar size/pos values you want.
4: Save the new CFG.
5: Win?

I believe the new _x1_5, _x2_0, _x2_5, and _x3_0 naming schemes override the old _600x800, _1920x1080 etc naming scheme.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****