Occulus Rift - owned by Facebook(!)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

GSH
Patch Creator

Occulus Rift - owned by Facebook(!)

Post by GSH »

See http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/f ... 2-billion/ Or here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook- ... 42537.html

My first thought: 168 hours too early for the announcement. But, seems serious.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Occulus Rift - owned by Facebook(!)

Post by General BlackDragon »

Damn, and I WAS going to get an Oculus headset someday...

Oh well.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Looks like having a tv strapped to your head...Oh it is having a tv strapped to your head :lol:
I guess their going to take this slow, wouldn't take too many lawsuits from idiots getting themselves injured while using one to dampen down commercial interest.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Why so GBD? Whats wrong with Facebook owning the company now?
I'm not on Facebook and dont care for such '(social) media' so I may have missed something :)
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

FaceTV....Yep that's right! :lol:
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

What would they possibly want with Oculus?

I don't want some virtural gaming device that always wants me to login to Facebook or has a blue F on everything.

Facebook honestly doesn't have any right to own such a thing, they do not make triple A games, they do not have any video gaming use for it.

So, what do they want to do, turn it into a 3d Facebook? Make 3d Ads?

nope.avi
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

FarmvilleVR
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

people will molest cows...
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

General BlackDragon wrote:What would they possibly want with Oculus?

I don't want some virtural gaming device that always wants me to login to Facebook or has a blue F on everything.

Facebook honestly doesn't have any right to own such a thing, they do not make triple A games, they do not have any video gaming use for it.

So, what do they want to do, turn it into a 3d Facebook? Make 3d Ads?

nope.avi
If thats the reason, let them. Let them trow money at it, develop it, market it .. wait some .. and buy a cheap knock off without all the 'extras' (read: limitations).
Iron_Maiden
Bull Dog

Post by Iron_Maiden »

A company like Facebook has no reasonable explanation to be involved in something like Occulus Rift.

Unless it's just for money, which it very likely is.
Known on FF.net as John Mccallistair, link provided below if you're interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5916137/John-Mccallistair
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Social VR! I can see why they want it. Won't be long till all those pasty skinned troll-hermits are remotely performing virtual abuse on each other from the privacy of their own homes. Just need the all over sensory stimulation suit and they will actually be able to hit each other online too! Imagine the size to which you could over inflate your virtual ego with a setup like that! :lol:
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Iron_Maiden wrote:A company like Facebook has no reasonable explanation to be involved in something like Occulus Rift.

Unless it's just for money, which it very likely is.
Dont want to burst any bubbles, but have you payed any attention to the facebook-hype? Its as commercial as things come, its all about money.
That doesnt even have to be a bad thing, it often is, but it isnt by definition.
MrTwosheds wrote:Social VR! I can see why they want it. Won't be long till all those pasty skinned troll-hermits are remotely performing virtual abuse on each other from the privacy of their own homes. Just need the all over sensory stimulation suit and they will actually be able to hit each other online too! Imagine the size to which you could over inflate your virtual ego with a setup like that! :lol:
Well, it will probably mean we all of a sudden all do bodybuilding and all feel a need to beat each other over .. err .. braggingrights. That could actually be fun :mrgreen:
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

According to this, this announcement got a Minecraft for Occulus Rift canceled pretty quick.

-- GSH
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Personally I found the reactions hilarious.
"Oh, I'm on facebook and live ½ my life through it so now I'll just call it faceborg and we'll all be assimilated."

If you have such a problem with FB being used as a source of private info by your own government .. than dont use it!
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Typically when companies acquire other companies, the acquired company gets gutted and its intellectual property is taken. For a startup like Oculus, I doubt this is the will happen. However there are other concerns about it, for example, Oculus which might normally need to reach out and make multiple partnerships in order to survive may no longer have to do that since the acquiring company can make its own products around it and prevent others from licencing it under reasonable terms. Furthermore as large companies tend to be less agile than startups, theres a possibility that the ability for Oculus to properly innovate may suffer.

On the other hand, when Facebook purchased WhatsApp a few weeks back, the worry there was that it would become another platform for data collection for Facebook, and also that when Facebook monetizes it, that it's going to violate user privacy or be overly intrusive. Hence you had many Whatsapp users jumping over to alternative instant messaging services out of concern for the possible bad outcomes.

Honestly, for all the ubiquitous use that facebook has, I think a lot of people are worried about it becoming even bigger because bigger = more evil (or at least the ability to be effective at being evil).
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep