All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

GSH
Patch Creator

All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Post by GSH »

According to this, Gamespy is closing down hosting for every title on 2014/05/31. The announcement from the master site says this:
"Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy. If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information. Thanks for a great ride!"
If I'm interpreting this correctly, then it seems like qr1 (BZ2 1.0 .. 1.3pb5.1) and qr2 (1.3.6.0-1.3.6.2) will permanently go dark on 2014/05/31.

Gamespy was a solid setup until its current owners seem to bought it only to do their best to kill it. Sadly.

-- GSH
Red Devil
Recycler

Re: All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Post by Red Devil »

it seems that everything that is good has a target on its back nowadays.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

Yup.

Shame all games now days are FPS cookie cutouts and MMOs
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

Pisses me off. There are plenty of uber-active games still hosted by GameSpy. I'm personally a big fan of Halo PC, and the community predicted it since the beginning.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

I know it's vindictive, but I can't help but want the deaths of hundreds of games more than Glu will ever make (and better than Glu will ever make) to haunt it until the day it folds. Or kill it, that'd be fun.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

What? you mean you don't want to give up using your high performance gaming PC and take up paying to squint at a 3 inch screen while having your wallet emptied via a satellite? You have been told its the future! Conform or we will break all your toys! :twisted:
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
DuoRanger
Thunderbolt

Post by DuoRanger »

i played a lot of Q3A Q2 back when Gamespy Arcade worked =(

unfortunately this means that all Dawn of war, BZ2 or Crysis/Mechwarrior living legends based MP is dead
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

BZ2 will work just fine, for many years to come.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Although it may be worth contemplating what if's? Like what if Raknet decide that a big check from the likes of GLU is a nice retirement option?
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

MrTwosheds wrote:Although it may be worth contemplating what if's? Like what if Raknet decide that a big check from the likes of GLU is a nice retirement option?
The only hard to replace part of Raknet is the natneg.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

Here's why I think this might be easier:

1) RakNet's matchmaking servers is a simple REST Service. Any competent web programmer could recreate a similar server fairly quickly; a few edge cases that the RakNet servers do (geolookup) are explicitly ignored by BZ2 anyhow. BZ2 allows for the server to be changed with a *Prefs.ini file change.

2) RakNet's NatNegotiation server is claimed to be the same code that's part of the RakNet SDK. That code ought to be compilable for Windows, MacOS, Unix variants, etc. Once again, BZ2 allows for the server to be changed with a *Prefs.ini file change.

-- GSH
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

:D
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

Wow this takes me back to when gamespy drop us the first time and how hard many people worked to get the matchmaking server work again...
thank god raknet worked ...and I both thank and appreciate all the hard work and brain storming you all have done...we are fortunate ...I wonder how many other comunties or games ''that is'' that survived GLU's siege ? not everyone knows how to fix the matchmaking problem.

in a sence we are either at that point were we disappear or press on ...historical moment if you seen the evolution of gamming. especially the older generation gammers can appreciate what i'm saying.

again thanks for your hard work ...its empowering to be able to still play this game while GLU monopolises the gamming industry.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

if someone can get me good enough docs on gamespy code I can try to make a server you run on local host that converts gamespy protocol into something else. Then all you need is host entries to loop the gamespy calls to localhost. Make the interface designed for a RESTful service by default and boom, you're done and anyone could make a server.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA