All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Red Devil
Recycler

Re: All gamespy services dead 2014/05/31 (?)

Post by Red Devil »

digging further, i see that they will be able to be played on GameRanger.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... _shutdown/

phew
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

Yep from farmers to gammers no one is safe ...go big or get eaten up.
but the power is in the hands of the people really ..they just don't vote with their money.
as new generations hit the market ...they just think its all normal ...and pay.
a disposable society .

is why I really like the idea of raknet...and when I say its empowering I really mean that.
perhaps it wouldent be bad idea to find a backup match making server ...just in case.
maybe the youger generation could learn something from this?
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

this is what i think of when see stuff like this
then I say why ? why don't people see this coming?
I seen this coming with gamespy a decade ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOs8MaR1YM

lol funny facts ...I guess you cant stop the mob ...like they say the mob rules.
but I still say why ? why!!?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Glu bought Gamespy for one of their technologies and doesn't want, or can't afford, to keep the servers going.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

but I still say why ? why!!?
Well software has an unusual problem that most other products don't have, it does not decay or get used up. So there need to be ways to control it, its no good selling something to someone and having them run off to use it for the rest of eternity, that isn't a viable business model for the enrichment of shareholders. Ways need to be found to either sell and sell again or to charge for its continued use. So games must either be of limited entertainment value or be pay to play, Operating systems must have a use by date and computer hardware must become obsolete...even if it isn't. We all have a duty to Mammon to burn the planets resources up in return for imaginary value, wealth is relative, the best way to get rich is to impoverish everyone and everything else. Its all utterly logical to the mortal mindset...Same problem as the Lemmings, we just can't see far enough. :lol:
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

Lemmings are following their instinct to migrate to Atlantis, but they didn't get the memo...

kidding, of course, but they are probably following old migratory routes established before the end of the last ice age (lower water levels, more exposed land).

aside: *hopes global warming is real so that it will save the planet from its real enemy: trendy city slickers*

glu is just eliminating recreational free-time competition.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:Lemmings are following their instinct to migrate to Atlantis, but they didn't get the memo...

kidding, of course, but they are probably following old migratory routes established before the end of the last ice age (lower water levels, more exposed land).

aside: *hopes global warming is real so that it will save the planet from its real enemy: trendy city slickers*

glu is just eliminating recreational free-time competition.
Relevant.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

Well one of the points I wanted to get across was I remeber watching science fiction movies or magazines about stuff which seemed so impossible and lot of that stuff were doing only a few decades latter ...and an example of that was star treck when captain kurk of the starship USS Enterprise ...not that I realy liked the series...and no dint agree with most of the concepts really !!! But when captain kurk spoke to aliens '' over a screen!'' wow what a concept! ...me and my brother would say ''I bet in a few 100 years well be able to do that !''...''imagine everyone having computers in their own homes !!!'' ...''well maybe one day'' ....and the holodeck where they could be in a 3d virtual world wow imagine that!!! ...

well video games really became the holodeck to me were people could interact with each other thru a virtual world .
so we went from arcades to slowly having console games in our homes ....finally graduated to online games where we could finally once and for all play at home on those computers over the'' holodeck '' with the help of ''the matchmaking server ''

of cours not exactly in that order I fast forwarded a few things
but if you get my point ...its is liberating and empowering to be able to do all this stuff...
only for all of it to slowly be taken away ...the new generation would be oblivious I believe and probably think its all normal ...and say ''thats the way the
whole world turns''...its usually the response I get

I like to keep one foot in the passed and one in the future
and if you think the future is great and fantastic ....not to sound negative
but the future is less and less reliable ...
but there is a positive... the dream still has life
we need to appreciate and change the direction of gaming for one ...maybe other communities might look in on this one and say if they can do so can we. this community still has some fight left in it.
is why i'm greatfull for all the hard work and belief you all have in preserving the idea.
its historical really when you think about it. and what will the future hold for this community if it makes thru this ?
i'v seen many amazing things no one though could be possible ...yet they happened
maybe battlezone will break the mold and lead the way for others.
after all we are the people and not vise versa.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

If a Linux port could be written up for the RakNet server, I could throw up a cheap computer running just Linux Mint with said server running. Would be a lot cheaper, and less restricted, than Windows. I saw this due to Windows XP and newer's 10 TCP connection limit. I don't believe Linux has such a limit.

Some more logging for NatNeg success and failures, specifically failures would be useful.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

For RakNet, if a custom server was written up, would it be possible to have bz2 push server info, to the matchmaking server? Mainly allowing ping, etc to work when NatNeg is used.
SUB-0
Thunderbolt

Post by SUB-0 »

what if we could get such a server working as back up ...or start bit by bit building one for primary use ...wouldent that put this community in a much stronger position?
my question is wouldent we need to also have a good system to run a multy matchmaking server ? i'm talking about actual Multiple fast hard drives. a dedicated server drive....I've never built an actual physical server .but I heard I can be done it would be the hub that hosts all the games being played.
we couldent be dropped out unless we had mechanical failure.
and that's forgivable.
hey i'd be willing to purchase or contribute towards helping to building one that's no a problem.i know its not as simple as buying a server there will be some programing involved that's where you come in guys :P
also I know we need to consider bandwidth also.
correct me if i'm wrong plz or would this intrest anyone if it is at all possible to accomplish
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

No expert on servers, but I don't think a matchmaking server would need to be particularly powerful, it can't be handling very much info, just a reasonably stable connection with a worthy isp would be fine I imagine. Raknet's server is probably doing it for dozens of games.
The problem is what happens when "involved" people run them (see bz1).
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

If by 'involved', you mean involved in conflicts or things of other polarizing natures, then you have a point. I wouldnt trust half the people in the BZ2 community to run a teamspeak server, let alone something more substantial like matchmaking -- but there are plenty of trustworthy people.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

The trustworthy would ban the untrustworthy... the involved will always take sides.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrTwosheds wrote:The trustworthy would ban the untrustworthy... the involved will always take sides.
Exactly that. In order to have a 'honest' host you need one that is not attached to the community and takes no preference.