I Wish to Make an Apology

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Ded10c
Recycler

Re: I Wish to Make an Apology

Post by Ded10c »

1, 2, 4, 7: Congratulations Psy, you found all the clues. They were obvious enough that they didn't need pointing out. Neither page actually exists, the author is a play on words (you're the first person to spot that, well done you), there are a few too many reviews (how was that the giveaway given all the far less subtle clues?), and the old-format AppID.

Spork's video was off his own bat, by the way - only connected to the original prank by the webpages I sent him.

5: Rebellion did update the imagery. The Kotaku article says it and with no screenshots of the product you've got no way of knowing otherwise. Besides, 1.3 and 1.5 update the imagery already. If they are able, a company like Rebellion would much rather make something new than remake a low-sales game from the late-90s.

6: Now, the note to Ken and Nathan having been quiet lately is a reference to the gap in both of their release schedules. In reality these will likely be down to real-life commitments - it's that time of year - but it the suggestion that they've been quiet because they've been working on the next versions of the games with Rebellion adds a little credence.

Yes, it's fake, but there's only one inside man. Everybody else - bogie, Spork, blue banana - is just playing along after the fact. The goal was not a fully convincing prank. That would cause more damage than amusement. The goal was something that seemed legit at first glance but fell under investigation and that I could make in about a half-hour after a late shift.

I'm more than happy that you fell for it, by the way. The first debunk was Commando, then HyperFighter, Spork and Spectre - you are sixth at best. Of those five you were also the slowest and the only one who was ever taken in.

Special mention to Eddy, who with the aid of a few lies went from calling it to being taken in after all.
Last edited by Ded10c on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

It would only be likely to happen after the bankruptcy of Activision. Only then would someone else be likely to take a look at their historic publications list and wonder how to make a few $s out of it. It is odd that both of my "best games of all time" where published by this evil tyranical organization. The other, Star Control (one), has it's liberty and can be freely and legally downloaded by anyone interested in old pc games. Why must the Battlezone's 1 $ 2 must remain rotting in their deepest copyright dungeons! starved of the nutrition of legal availability and download. It is a crime against software!
Activision I DO NOT BUY YOUR NEW PUBLICATIONS because of this! (Hovers off down the street waiving a placard like a loony looking to throw himself under a fast moving multinational)
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
blue banana
Sabre

Post by blue banana »

... Still doesn't work on my 98. I'm gonna sue.
Psyringe wrote:It's fake, and everyone is in on it.
Congratulations. You've uncovered the elaborate plan and proven yourself smarter than a vast majority of the internet who can clearly not notice multiple discrepancies in things like the article, the URL, the links and so forth.

If anyone ever backhandedly says 'Nice job captain obvious' or some other such remark, just look at the image below and know that you really are winner.

Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Commando wrote:Link is dead. Is this an early April's Fools joke?
Nope. Its called an April's fools joke .. you're just not in the same timezone .. 8-)
Psyringe wrote:It's fake, and everyone is in on it.
Guess you couldnt wait a day so others might have had a bit of fun as well? :?
Psyringe
Thunderbolt

Post by Psyringe »

lulz Another thread conquered.

I made my point pretty clear on facebook, you guys can get it there.
DeusExCeteri
Rattler

Post by DeusExCeteri »