Future of the BZ2 mods

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Progressor
Thunderbolt

Future of the BZ2 mods

Post by Progressor »

Hi everyone,

I want to raise a question about the future of BZ2 mods. From the point of view of the devoted game player. Sorry, English is not my first language.

Looks like the BZ3 will never be born. The project is supported by a handful of enthusiasts and nobody is going to invest intio it. Adapting the existing game engine to the modern standards means rewriting it completely, isn't it? But why is BZ2 is so attractive? You know why - because of the game overall idea.

Single Player Campaign vs Multiplayer. I do not know the statistics and I do not want to know it. Single player campaign mods are nearly masterpieces and, to tell the truth, they are the only that I like in BZ. So. The mods.

- Forgotten Enemies. The most massive, balanced, interesting, long, and, hence, buggy. Some missions are completely unplayable unless you install the RD pathces and switch missions between the Editor and the game. After that, missions are sometimes not yet playble.

- Uler. Fairly balanced, interesting... Very interesting, clever, stable.

- Fleshstorm. One tablet is enough. Do not like stupid shooting.

- QF. Strange, charming, fascinating, balanced. - QF2. Failure. Buggy first mission and deviation into the quest make the mod unplayable. Could not finish the first mission.

- In the Shadows. Actually, this is not a true mod. "Capture the enemy base" and that's all. No phantasy, no interest.

Ok, what I am talking about?.. The project is alive or what? How much time is since the last known mod was released?
Last edited by Progressor on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Re: Future of the BZ2 mods

Post by General BlackDragon »

Battlezone Classic beta 3 was the last released mod, with an update and The Red Odyssey expansion coming soon. :)
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

i can devote time to FE once house repairs and upgrades and 6..8 cords of firewood are finished.

Nobody is making BZ3. That would require professional voiceovers, artwork, map-making, and model-making.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Battlestrat, FE, G66, In The Shadows, Starfleet, Uler, & ZTV

Lifetime member of JBS and NRA
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Devil wrote:Nobody is making BZ3.
Nobody is making BZ3 yet. You forget that the franchise is owned by the second-biggest developer in this country and that they are currently remastering BZ1. Prospects are good.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

...and when they sell like they did before, it will be...scrapped.
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts - and beer.
Abraham Lincoln

Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

AHadley wrote:Prospects are good.
Because they have been selling it to the media and fans without anything to really back it up.
First time somebody made a post about Bionite half the people here needed to get onboard, how many are still part of it now?
Keyword: hype.
bigbadbogie
Bull Dog

Post by bigbadbogie »

Progressor wrote:Hi everyone,
QF2. Failure. Buggy first mission and deviation into the quest make the mod unplayable. Could not finish the first mission.
It does work as long as you don't use save-games.

If you can't finish it, skip it:

game.cheat bzwinner
"You think that you can wipe out an entire civilisation without consequences?" - Rachel

http://www.moddb.com/mods/qf2-essence-to-a-thief
https://www.indiedb.com/games/husky-ashcon-i/
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

I also should get around to devoting full-time attention to a patch for QF2, as soon as BZC+TRO Beta 4 is released (soon ish)
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Red Spot wrote:Because they have been selling it to the media and fans without anything to really back it up.
First time somebody made a post about Bionite half the people here needed to get onboard, how many are still part of it now?
Drawing parallels between Bionite and Rebellion's projects is like drawing parallels between a teenager's kitbashed go-kart and a Rolls Royce.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
Mr_Scorpion
Drunken Constructor

Post by Mr_Scorpion »

Don't give up all hope. I have a mod in the works that is due at least before this year is over. If not certainly early next year. Don't expect another QF though. But it will be making many fun changes to the gameplay.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

AHadley wrote:
Red Spot wrote:Because they have been selling it to the media and fans without anything to really back it up.
Drawing parallels between Bionite and Rebellion's projects is like drawing parallels between a teenager's kitbashed go-kart and a Rolls Royce.
When I'm talking about stuff that has wheels, it is a very good parallel. And so it my statement.
coxxon
Sabre

Post by coxxon »

Progressor wrote:Hi everyone,
- Uler. Firly balanced, interesting... Very interesting, clever, stable.
I'm happy with that appraisal considering it is so old, though I don't know what others have done to get it to work in pb1.3

As for future mods I guess this is also a semi-official anoucement - I"ve been redoing the models for the game (higher poly, more anims, effects). I have about 280 rebuilt/modified msh models with a few left to go. It's supposed to overlay/replace the stock stuff. When included with my previously released texture mod it really helps update the overall look of the game. Hopefully it'll at least look more 2009 rather than 1999.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

I knew it!! :D 8-)

Any screenshots?
Abraham Lincoln

Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

That will be interesting to see.
Commando
Flying Mauler

Post by Commando »

How are you handling the models? Are they going to be out-right replacements meaning they will cause bad assets or are they going to be part of a custom recycler variant?