1.3.7.2 and new release on Steam/Gog

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

yeah
Rattler

1.3.7.2 and new release on Steam/Gog

Post by yeah »

I'm wondering about the relation between 1.3.7.2 and the new release. Is the new release and independent extension/overhaul of 1.1/1.2 (the last official release) and hence not compatible with 1.3.7.2 and possible lacking some 1.3.7.2 features?
GSH
Patch Creator

Re: 1.3.7.2 and new release on Steam/Gog

Post by GSH »

All BZ2 1.0 thru 1.3.x builds can play MP only with the exact same version.. This helps reduce resyncs (checking gamestate), bad assets, etc.

-- GSH
General BlackDragon
Flying Mauler

Post by General BlackDragon »

The new release is based upon 1.3, so it should have all the 1.3 features still present, and a few more.

The 3rd Party maps and modded assets are not in the release, but will be available as separate workshop mods soon.
Battlezone Classic Public Forums
*****General BlackDragon*****
yeah
Rattler

Post by yeah »

Yes i'm aware of that, but that is quite answering my question as i have no idea which version the Steam/Gog release has or even on which version it is based on. However I assume then that it is different from 1.3.7.2 hence the releases are not compatible for MP?
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

yeah wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am Yes i'm aware of that, but that is quite answering my question as i have no idea which version the Steam/Gog release has or even on which version it is based on. However I assume then that it is different from 1.3.7.2 hence the releases are not compatible for MP?
Very different. The current version number is 2.0.130.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

1.3.7.2 is not compatible with version "1.3.7.2-b132ak", linked in a sticky on this forum. b132ak was close to what a 1.3.7.3 release would have been, but I never did that once the 2.x effort started.

-- GSH
Deathbringer
Sober Scav

Post by Deathbringer »

Hey GSH,
I know that people have been asking, but I haven't found an answer from you. Other people have piped up, but I'm going to be "that guy" and ask you directly.
Did they start out from 1.3.7.2-b132ak?
I'm only asking again because I'm going to be honest, I have seen some stuff that makes me think that they might not have.
For one I have seen some turrets pretty much facing the ground.
Another is that the pathing almost seems like it's not what you had.
I had a pool with a scavenger right next to it and I told it to deploy and it wouldn't move. I told it 5 times and then decided to jump out of Sat view and run over there.. Just to find him deployed. Granted I am playing some of the maps I haven't played in awhile and maybe that is what is going on.
One other thing which could just be them trying to make it more accessable, is the fact that I keep winning MPI.. All default settings and I win pretty handily. Frankly I'm not that good and I NEVER won that well. The MPI (in whatever the default is) is really really dumb. Not building properly.. Not really defending properly and just super wimpy. I plan on trying to see if I can bump up the skill level. Last game I had 200 scrap and I was building relay bunkers near them and then I was able to hang pretty close to the base while I sent a large group of APC's in, but I was sitting there next to their base and right next to a scavenger and was just ignored.
I could totally be seeing something that isn't there, but I'm just wondering.
Thank you sir for all that you have done for this game.
GSH
Patch Creator

Post by GSH »

The code I gave Big Boat was a bit past what was in the 1.3.7.2-b132ak branch. I had started on some new features that would have been part of a 1.3.8.x series, but none of that would have affected gameplay.

I helped Big Boat long enough to help them get things compiling and explain things, then parted ways - by mutual agreement.

-- GSH
Deathbringer
Sober Scav

Post by Deathbringer »

So you gave them good code and they screwed it up. Gotcha.
Thank you sir ;-)
Actually I can't say they have screwed it up as I do like what they have done graphically for the game. They also seem to have breathed new life into what I pretty much feel is the best game ever. Mod menu makes sense along with some other things, but I still feel they may have messed up someplace where it wasn't messed up before. I would be very curious about your honest assessment of the situation, but you may not want to cause any waves..
Either way.. I hope that you see all this as a big positive for the game. Obviously it would have never gotten to this place without your hard work and the work of others. I can only hope that you are not bitter about how things turned out. Too bad you guys couldn't have worked together. Seems like with your extensive knowledge of the game and code and more programmers to implement that it could have been even better.
I'll keep one eye peeled for the hacked version of the code that I'm sure you won't come out with.. ahem.
A guy can hope.
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

Hello.
How much did they pay you GSH?
You delete all links for download the patches.
You redirect people from the forum AND the game to Steam....
Another game defaced by the DRM companies and their friends like you.
You was not supposed to be the guy who worked in the original BZ2 game, and the guy who made the 1.2, 1.3 patches?
I play the original AoE, AoC, BZ2, and i get tired of all this defacing works guys like you do (i can also speak of MoH, BF...).
Finnaly, i'm glad to have smell that you will delete your own work for money, by keeping copies of some patches on my HDD.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Given that the 1.3 patches were made using source code that belongs to Rebellion and that GSH was involved in BZCC's creation, I doubt it's as simple as "we'll pay you to remove them". There will be a number of contracts involved that we don't have any knowledge of, and that's as well as the usual copyright law that would probably oblige GSH to remove the patches if Rebellion asked.

If you want the old versions you can still find them on several community-maintained archives.
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am Given that the 1.3 patches were made using source code that belongs to Rebellion
I did not get it, as Wikipedia say Pandemic Studios was bought by EA Games, not Rebellion, did that mean you say that the 1.2 patches are made by Rebellion (with no Pandemic studios code so??).
Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am and that GSH was involved in BZCC's creation,
Ah, i did not know that, what i read here was something like GSH have do a copy-paste of the last 1.3.7.2 patch to Rebellion ,and they **** up it.
And, as i hate DRM platforms, i will dislike GSH more for have help to do a Steam version.
Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am I doubt it's as simple as "we'll pay you to remove them". There will be a number of contracts involved that we don't have any knowledge of, and that's as well as the usual copyright law that would probably oblige GSH to remove the patches if Rebellion asked.
That does'nt make me think it's a good thing... If what you say is true, that actually confort my opinion, they deface the original game.
So your opinion is that they allowed the use of theyr code for all this years, and they suddendly RETRO-FORBID IT, for force people to <del>buy</del> locate a Steam bullshit version (who use the work of the communauty, like assets work, and the GSH 1.3 work (so if GSH get not payed for they use this work, damn!)) at 20€ who does not even work on the OSes where the original run fine...
Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am If you want the old versions you can still find them on several community-maintained archives.
For the ones i visited, they all redirect to here.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm I did not get it, as Wikipedia say Pandemic Studios was bought by EA Games, not Rebellion, did that mean you say that the 1.2 patches are made by Rebellion (with no Pandemic studios code so??).
Pandemic were purchased by EA games, they were working under license as Battlezone II's developers; the rights to the game belonged to Activision, the publisher. When Activision's license to use the Battlezone name expired, the ownership of their Battlezone games was transferred to Atari. Rebellion purchased everything from Atari a few years ago.

Everything before 1.3 was made by Pandemic and published by Activision. 1.3 was made and published by GSH, a former employee of Pandemic. All of that was included with Rebellion's purchase.
Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pmAh, i did not know that, what i read here was something like GSH have do a copy-paste of the last 1.3.7.2 patch to Rebellion ,and they **** up it.
And, as i hate DRM platforms, i will dislike GSH more for have help to do a Steam version.
I'm not aware of the precise extent of GSH's involvement (and those who are likely can't discuss it anyway), but it was more than "here's the source code". BZCC fixes a great deal of issues that were present with the latest versions of 1.3, and is on GOG as well.
Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm That does'nt make me think it's a good thing... If what you say is true, that actually confort my opinion, they deface the original game.
So your opinion is that they allowed the use of theyr code for all this years, and they suddendly RETRO-FORBID IT
A great many people, GSH included, spent a great many hours making BZCC. Those people have families to feed. Expecting their work for free is, frankly, entitled nonsense. BZCC's graphical enhancements require a modern operating system - if you're running an OS that BZCC doesn't work on then you have much greater problems than not being able to run BZCC, like the fact that you're making yourself vulnerable to all sorts of security issues.

Rebellion bought the Battlezone franchise in 2013. They spent a while working on their own Battlezone game (for PSVR, Oculus and Steam) and we first came to know about Battlezone 98 Redux in summer 2015 (which had been underway for a while, having started possibly as early as December 2014). Battlezone: Combat Commander's development started a few months after Battlezone 98 Redux's development ended. There's nothing sudden about this.

BZCC doesn't contain any community assets, by the way. Rebellion could easily have asserted ownership of them if they'd wanted - BZ2's original license agreement allows them to - but they chose not to.

GSH doesn't condone piracy here. I'd suggest you edit your post to remove that inference.
Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am If you want the old versions you can still find them on several community-maintained archives.
BZScrap.org should be your go-to source for just about everything. Anything that's not there is on the hard drives of the people who maintain it, waiting for them to get around to sorting it out.
Vassili
Thunderbolt

Post by Vassili »

Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:43 pm
Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm And, as i hate DRM platforms, i will dislike GSH more for have help to do a Steam version.
and is on GOG as well.
As a fake DRM-free, as reported by several people who bougth the GOG version (GOG Galaxy DRM, even for playing "LAN").
Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:43 pm GSH doesn't condone piracy here. I'd suggest you edit your post to remove that inference.
Eh..you are speaking of what part of my text who are supposed to say GSH promote piracy? (Piracy as you understand it at a copyright infringement i presume)
Ded10c wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am
Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm
BZScrap.org should be your go-to source for just about everything. Anything that's not there is on the hard drives of the people who maintain it, waiting for them to get around to sorting it out.
Thanks. For the ones interrested by the patches

Thank you for the clarification on the relationship between BZ2 and Rebellion Software
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Vassili wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:59 pmAs a fake DRM-free, as reported by several people who bougth the GOG version (GOG Galaxy DRM, even for playing "LAN").
This is the result of netcode implementation, not a deliberate attempt to obfuscate anything. The devs are looking into a way of decoupling it.source