Battlezone II v1.3.6.1 Public Beta released

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

MrTwosheds
Recycler

Re: Battlezone II v1.3.6.1 Public Beta released

Post by MrTwosheds »

Can't we recycle a patch?
Do you know how to reinstall bz2? you can play any version you want.
That reminds me, I must take up Daylights offer of a version 1 game soon, just for the original kicks :)
Rocket3497
Drunken Scav

Post by Rocket3497 »

Just tried out the new patch. ;) but not in any depth yet, haven't tried MP yet.

The first thing i noticed when i placed one of my units with a custom laser light on it, the light was really messed up, the light would go everywhere.
What caused the light to go everywhere: coneFalloff = 0.0
The fix: coneFalloff = 0.001

1. this problem was not in the older patches.
2. I'm not saying in any way that this needs to be fixed, although that would be nice for next patch. Just that everyone with custom lights with coneFalloff = 0.0 should take note of this.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

I know how to reinstall, but what's the point of having PB6 without multiplayer.
PB6.1 stole all of the players from 6 and that's the only point in downloading the useless patch...

I know I sound angry, but I just wish MP would stay in 6...
Tylerman
Scrap

Post by Tylerman »

Nielk1 wrote:
Baconboy wrote:Not to be rude, but why even have a PB6.1 in the first place?
Sly wrote:Exactly
Because there were bugs? It is like you WANT to be ostracized.

Oh god am I going to be bitched at now because someone doesn't understand what I said?

If I write a little I am misunderstood.
If I write a lot people bitching I wrote to o much or don't read it and misunderstand anyway. Then they call me names.

F*cking morons the lot of ya.

I think they aren't asking why there was a pb6.1 but rather just what did it fix and why release it now.

It seems, to me at least, that due to this lag it just seems to be a step backwards in the sense that now the lag and warp, which we were trying to fix in the next patch, got worse.

I'm not trying to complain and argue but it does seem we need to do something just because this has made the game, strategies and deathmatches in particular, nearly unplayable.

I really don't want to sit here and start a fight and instead just start talking about what we can do to fix the problem as soon as possible because trying to put the problem fixing, or more of trying to find what is causing the problem, on the players, many of which have little to no bug testing experience, is going to get us nowhere and people will simply get frustrated and leave the community.

Please can we just stop arguing with each other, or at least keep it to a minimum, so that we can try to talk about a solution that can work as soon as possible. I have seen a lot already by yourself and GSH but they seem very long term and what worries me is the community dying before we can get a chance to fix anything. Many people have suggested a kind of roll back. Is anything like this possible and then have more testing done on the new patch?

Please just consider what I have said because it really kills me to see a community slowly die like this.

Tyler.

P.S. Sorry if there are typos I'm pretty tired.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Check the changelog for a lit of what was changed. While a rollback is technologically possible, I do not see it occurring. Instead, the actual minutia of bugs that make of this 'lag/warp omni-bug' will be fixed. This should in the end result in a better than rollback product. This does however require very detailed testing and an understanding that nothing, even a rollback, would be a quick fix.
Tylerman
Scrap

Post by Tylerman »

Nielk1 wrote:Check the changelog for a lit of what was changed. While a rollback is technologically possible, I do not see it occurring. Instead, the actual minutia of bugs that make of this 'lag/warp omni-bug' will be fixed. This should in the end result in a better than rollback product. This does however require very detailed testing and an understanding that nothing, even a rollback, would be a quick fix.

Oh I completely understand that there is no way to quickly and truly fix the problem and I understand that this is not something that can be completely eliminated but what I was talking about was if there was anyway we could "relieve" the problem just in short term because it does worry me hearing about so many players simply not playing with this lag.

I was just simply offering up the rollback as a possible quick relief then moving onto to the recovery and reform aspects of it. (Rollback --> More extensive testing --> new patch)

Of course thats just the first idea that came to my mind and I have very little idea of how this game works internally and for all I know there could be some sort of relief strategy that GSH has already put together, but I just figured I would offer up something instead of just complaining.

I'm not saying there is a way to simply hit the fix button and 'poof' we are done, but I'm just wondering if there is something we can do quickly to calm the problem before the bz2 community implodes on its self in anger, frustration, and arguing.
Red Devil
Recycler

Post by Red Devil »

players just want to play, testers test
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I know I sound angry, but I just wish MP would stay in 6...
Had there not been a bug, you would not be saying this, you would probably be quite pleased with 6.1
Really we were left with little choice but to take this route, inactivity by the majority of the private testers made a public release the only way to make any progress.
Quite allot of people seem to think they should be on the test team, For now you all are, if you want to be.
We need data and some intelligent insight, not a forum full of complaints.

This thread has instructions on how to enable logging.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=528
FallenAngel
Drunken Constructor

Post by FallenAngel »

So.. what now? Whats going to happen with players, not likeing these patches? Is battlezone 2 just gonna die?
I kinda feel dissapointed reason is, is because the tester's are suppost to test the patches and we are suppost to enjoy it.
Were not testers were just players who were waiting for a nice patch to play on.
This is totaly out of hand, if you want suggestions about how to fix these things, ask the players, their the ones acuttaly playing the game.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Ask people who play the game? Test it? How do you guys all think we're doing this? That's exactly what we *are* doing. We just have issues with enough of us being available at the same time (or in some cases at all :/) and that makes stress-testing difficult.
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

FallenAngel wrote:So.. what now? Whats going to happen with players, not likeing these patches? Is battlezone 2 just gonna die?
I kinda feel dissapointed reason is, is because the tester's are suppost to test the patches and we are suppost to enjoy it.
Were not testers were just players who were waiting for a nice patch to play on.
This is totaly out of hand, if you want suggestions about how to fix these things, ask the players, their the ones acuttaly playing the game.
All 3 parties are unpaid, especially the two doing the work. Therefore all work is done on our own time, and it was tested, and felt stable enough on our end, hence release. For the most part our release was fine, but under conditions not applicable to the testing environment, things fall apart fast. We had no way to know that, and you can't fault us for it. 8 testers on at once? YEAH RIGHT!

Since you've given us so many suggestions, here's one for you: buy a good dictionary and peruse it. It is hard to take illiterates seriously.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Nielk1 wrote: F*cking morons the lot of ya.
Well thank you Nielk1... :|
I didn't mean to act like a troll.
I just don't see the point.

@TwoSheds:And about the bug in MP, THAT'S NOT THE REASON WHY.
I saw 5.1 and loved it. Then I saw 6 and it took some stuff away, but I still liked it.
And here comes 6.1 and I'm just confused on what the need is for it.
I somewhat support it cause of the MP and hardwork that GSH put into it, but I don't see the need.
The community would have been just as large with staying at 6.
If someone can give me several reasons why 6.1 is a large improvement over 6, I'll be happy.

I'm not joining Sly and their "group."
I hate trolls just as much as the next guy.
I'm just asking a question... :?:
Warfreak
Rattler

Post by Warfreak »

Baconboy wrote: If someone can give me several reasons why 6.1 is a large improvement over 6, I'll be happy.
Stop right there. Who the hell said it was meant to be a large improvement. There is a VERY good reason why it is 1.3 beta 6.1 and not 1.3 beta 7. This release (given Twosheds' information) was a last ditch resort for testing as was Tech Alpha 5 and 5.1 before it.

From the look of things this was never meant to be a stable build, it was meant for GSH to get more data to actually fix an issue that the current private beta team situation (Which has been mentioned to death) made impossible to address prior to a "proper" public beta release such as beta 6, which you all seem to be ignoring that beta 6 has its fair share of game-hindering bugs and given the right conditions is much more unstable in multiplayer as I have seen many of you complain about in the past.
Baconboy
Attila

Post by Baconboy »

Then why release it as the newest "patch"?
If it wasn't meant to be a stable build, then why make everyone download it in order to play BZ2 MP?
Why not just release it publicly as a test and let those who can't test it continue on a stable build?
Zax
Attila

Post by Zax »

Baconboy wrote:Then why release it as the newest "patch"?
If it wasn't meant to be a stable build, then why make everyone download it in order to play BZ2 MP?
Why not just release it publicly as a test and let those who can't test it continue on a stable build?
We don't owe you anything, stop acting like we do.