What Have You Learned Today?

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Commando

Zenophas
Bull Dog

Re: What Have You Learned Today?

Post by Zenophas »

Red Spot wrote:Somewhat? :shock:
I don't have a problem with it. As long as all parties involved are consenting, I see no reason why any form of sex should be illegal.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Afaik, over here its illegal when you become clasified as pefofile, but as soon as thats not the case its all free will.
My previous post was cause I have a hard time understanding how something can be 'somewhat illegal'.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Red Spot wrote:Afaik, over here its illegal when you become clasified as pefofile, but as soon as thats not the case its all free will.
Ahhhh.

Red Spot wrote:My previous post was cause I have a hard time understanding how something can be 'somewhat illegal'.
You can do it but you maybe don't want to get caught doing it...? *Shrug*
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

I see no reason why any form of sex should be illegal.
The potential physical consequences on children produced by inbreeding are usually considered a very good reason for not doing it. It is not a victimless crime.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

Driving your car potentially kills people who do not drive a car, lets not do it. ;)
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

MrTwosheds wrote:
The potential physical consequences on children produced by inbreeding are usually considered a very good reason for not doing it. It is not a victimless crime.

Obviously it increases risk of genetic defects, no doubt, but the rate is vastly overstated. The one's you're thinking of would be more than several generations. Limited inbreeding, (say 1 to 2 generations), doesn't really cause any problems.

Quite low amounts of risk to be honest. You're more likely to give your child defects if your take certain medications or eat certain foods. That, and a lot of people who you're not related too are unhealthy. Hell, in that case, we might as well ban all forms of sex due to risks of genetic disorders.

Though, I highly doubt having kids would be primary goal of folks who engage in incest these days. Likely just doing it for the feeling. In which case, Condoms, which are 85% effective. 99% if the person knows how to put it on/take it off correctly.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

Zenophas wrote:Hell, in that case, we might as well ban all forms of sex due to risks of genetic disorders.
A very fair point.
battlezone.wikia.com needs your help!
MrTwosheds
Recycler

Post by MrTwosheds »

Every Human society I can think of generally considers this to be such a bad idea, that they make it illegal, just to make things clear. I would guess that engaging in sexual activity with your close family, would probably increase the chances of family disintegration or violence/murder occurring at some point to levels where it becomes an almost unavoidable consequence.
So legalise Incest, then legalise the murdering of daughter abusing fathers by their new husbands, then the revenge killings by the dead fathers sons...and on and on. Much simpler to just have rules that prevent people from doing really stupid and dangerous things.
The Silence continues. The War Of Lies has no end.
MrsGSH
Drunken Constructor

Post by MrsGSH »

I think another part of the issue is whether a child can give consent to a parent. The idea being that the authority-power relationship between parents and children are such that a child may not be seen as having the ability to freely consent, something in the similar vein to bosses and their interns.
Nielk1
Flying Mauler

Post by Nielk1 »

Laws are generally a lagged codification of moral rules.
Red Spot
Attila

Post by Red Spot »

MrsGSH wrote:I think another part of the issue is whether a child can give consent to a parent.
Do note that it doesnt always involve children. Iirc several years ago a bother and sister hooked up, both adults. They got in the news cause they wanted to get married, not sure if they ever were allowed/did so.

Interstingly, my and neigbouring countries dont see it as a crime, yet the international court does ... not sure where that is located though ... :roll:
Zero Angel
Attila

Post by Zero Angel »

Not only that, but given the way that dominant and recessive traits (genes) operate -- if both parents have a recessive trait, then so increases the chance that the trait will be passed to their offspring. This includes traits for genetic-based diseases and other disorders. Two parents from the exact same bloodline have a much higher chance of passing the same traits onto their offspring (the genes for the traits will definitely be passed on, and the chance that the recessive trait will be 'active' will be higher). That said, there is a reason why the way sexual attraction works is usually to encourage diversifying the gene pool because diversity tends to pass on more positive traits such as resistance to certain diseases and environmental conditions. I also believe that incest is more likely to occur in abusive, dysfunctional family systems and hence more likely to lead to that same sort of family system being passed to offspring as a matter of culture (children tend to model the behavior of their caregivers). So thus I believe there are some sound reasons why incest is illegal.
Regulators
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool, we're damn good, too
But you can't be any geek off the street
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean
Earn your keep
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Zenophas wrote:
MrTwosheds wrote:

Obviously it increases risk of genetic defects, no doubt, but the rate is vastly overstated. The one's you're thinking of would be more than several generations. Limited inbreeding, (say 1 to 2 generations), doesn't really cause any problems.

Quite low amounts of risk to be honest. You're more likely to give your child defects if your take certain medications or eat certain foods. That, and a lot of people who you're not related too are unhealthy. Hell, in that case, we might as well ban all forms of sex due to risks of genetic disorders.

Though, I highly doubt having kids would be primary goal of folks who engage in incest these days. Likely just doing it for the feeling. In which case, Condoms, which are 85% effective. 99% if the person knows how to put it on/take it off correctly.

There is truth to this.
Although genetic mutations due to inbreeding are generally random... so it can happen after one 'generation.'
Just look at Mennonites or Amish; they have to "outsource" their kids every once in a while or contaminate the gene pool.
HitchcockGreen
Bull Dog

Post by HitchcockGreen »

Zero Angel wrote:Not only that, but given the way that dominant and recessive traits (genes) operate -- if both parents have a recessive trait, then so increases the chance that the trait will be passed to their offspring. This includes traits for genetic-based diseases and other disorders. Two parents from the exact same bloodline have a much higher chance of passing the same traits onto their offspring (the genes for the traits will definitely be passed on, and the chance that the recessive trait will be 'active' will be higher). That said, there is a reason why the way sexual attraction works is usually to encourage diversifying the gene pool because diversity tends to pass on more positive traits such as resistance to certain diseases and environmental conditions. I also believe that incest is more likely to occur in abusive, dysfunctional family systems and hence more likely to lead to that same sort of family system being passed to offspring as a matter of culture (children tend to model the behavior of their caregivers). So thus I believe there are some sound reasons why incest is illegal.

Also; Gross.
Zenophas
Bull Dog

Post by Zenophas »

Zero Angel wrote:I also believe that incest is more likely to occur in abusive, dysfunctional family systems and hence more likely to lead to that same sort of family system being passed to offspring as a matter of culture (children tend to model the behavior of their caregivers). So thus I believe there are some sound reasons why incest is illegal.
Incest does occur in dysfunctional families with spousal and, or, child sex abuse, yes. But it also occurs between siblings who did not grow up together, and those who were born genetically inclined towards incestuous intercourse, regardless of rather not their parents were inclined to it or did it.

MrTwosheds wrote:Every Human society I can think of generally considers this to be such a bad idea, that they make it illegal, just to make things clear. I would guess that engaging in sexual activity with your close family, would probably increase the chances of family disintegration or violence/murder occurring at some point to levels where it becomes an almost unavoidable consequence.
If there's strife in the family than one wouldn't want to try and have sex with his/her father/son/sister/mother/aunt/whatever.

If consensual, (IE: Not sexual exploitation of children VIA grooming or coercion), and the family is quite well knitted and stable, than yes, one could probably have a healthy sexual relationship with said family member(s). This does not include giving birth to children. We have condoms and birth control these days. It's pretty much a given to use those whilist having incest.
Last edited by Zenophas on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.