how you make model

Moderators: GSH, VSMIT, Red Devil, Commando

Col Klink
Sabre

Re: how you make model

Post by Col Klink »

FYI: According to OM's python script it self refer to Blender version 2.42. :oops:
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

No, the export script's only up to 10... 32-bit only.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

VSMIT wrote:No, the export script's only up to 10... 32-bit only.
Is that version 2.41 then? Thanks.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

According to OM's original thread on his forum I believe he said it was for 2.42.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

That's the Max export script, not the Blender script.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Dianoga wrote:According to OM's original thread on his forum I believe he said it was for 2.42.
Um, what's odd is after installing 2.42 there was no scripts folder although 2.42 already had a ton of both import and export scripts including the newer XSI exporter for XSI version 3. I tried copying an existing script folder to 2.42 from another Blender installation but couldn't get the OM script to appear in the exporter list? What python version does 2.42 use I believe I have version 2.4 installed. Thanks.
Dianoga
Rattler

Post by Dianoga »

There should be a folder called something like .blend which the scripts will go in. Sorry I'm not on my computer right now to check for sure.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Dianoga wrote:There should be a folder called something like .blend which the scripts will go in. Sorry I'm not on my computer right now to check for sure.
No problem bro. I do have a bit of good news about converting Truespace COB models to XSI. In the past my COB to XSI model conversions had major issues with the geometry looking all distorted in the BZII Map Editor. Turns out the issue was resolved by doing all my rescaling, rotations, and moves in the TS Edit Mode. Model geometry is edited in TS by right click the model and performing all modifications while in this mode. Rescaling the model this way illiminated the geometry distortions all together. Same deal with getting model orientation correct as well. Apparently, models also need to be built on the +Z axis to get the model preped for exporation and conversion to XSI 1.1 using 3DEX. Once I figured this all out I got my first COB converted model in the Map Editor for testing and everthing looks tight now. BTW, 3DS models also need to be built on the same axis as the COB equivelent in TS.

My next goal is to try to modify OM's XSI exporter script and port it for use with Truespace 6 or possibly 7.6 as a TSX or RSX based plugin. I've been told it's going to be a lot of work but if I can figure it out then TS modelers would be able to export BZII compatible XSI directly out of Truespace. A massive task no doubt.
:roll:
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Here's a simplifyied BZII modeling tutorial using existing BZII models converted to X format for use with Truespace. A while back I converted the XSI model pack to the X format with 3DEX. The models can be loaded directly in to TS and modifyied complete with animation. There's also basic instructions for extracting and converting the original BZII textures in the data pak to a format that TS can load. This method also helps new model makers get a feel for the BZII model structure. They can also learn the basic editing tools in TS at the same time and it will help them build their skills in creating new BZII models from scratch. Here's a modeling tutorial link describing the process> Editing premade BZII models in Truespace. Sorry about the TS plug, but I seem to accel in this habit and hopefully it will help some new model makers avoid a lot of the wasted time I experienced in my modeling quest.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

KingpinAkaDaRapper wrote:how do u make a 3d model and export into bz2 like .xsi model??
If you decide on GMAX I found a resource site for several ways to get your model out of GMAX including the MD3 exporter and one for OBJ and MD5 formats. There's also one that uses the Microsoft Flight Simulator that exports MDL and DirectX format simultaneously, I can't remember exactly where I found this one. Try using aviation as a search term; I think that's what I used for my search on the MDL Commander variation to the FS 2002 GMAX gamepack. Anyways here's the web link. Several ways to get a model out of GMAX.
Last edited by Col Klink on Sun May 29, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Knight
Thunderbolt

Post by Shadow Knight »

His post was about blender, why did you make two posts in a row about truespace? At least your third was on-topic.

Anyways, I may be wrong but converting to .x and then using X2XSI to convert it to XSI should work.
Ded10c
Recycler

Post by Ded10c »

This site is underused and very useful. Should have been posted ages ago.

http://bz2md.com/fishdotxsi/
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

Shadow Knight wrote:His post was about blender, why did you make two posts in a row about truespace? At least your third was on-topic.

Anyways, I may be wrong but converting to .x and then using X2XSI to convert it to XSI should work.
Guess I just felt like it for no other reason. The original post was about how to make and get a model in to BZII. As far as I can tell we should post whatever we feel like that's relevent to the topic. Oh, BTW I found several Truespace import export plugins. Here's a link to download them. Clinton's TS rsobj plugins. They were written for TS 7.5 but appear too load just fine in the TS 7.6 Link Editor. Man! I can't believe how many plugins were written for Truespace. Someday, I'm going to write a BZII XSI exporter and maybe an importer too.
VSMIT
Sabre

Post by VSMIT »

Col Klink wrote:Someday, I'm going to write a BZII XSI exporter and maybe an importer too.
Believe it when I see it.
Col Klink
Sabre

Post by Col Klink »

VSMIT wrote:
Col Klink wrote:Someday, I'm going to write a BZII XSI exporter and maybe an importer too.
Believe it when I see it.
Ditto...I have sourcecode for several C++ import export pluins for TS; making sense of it at this point is a mystery, but I suppose it can be done...no less.